Australia Expo in London, March 2011

BestyBlue

Hi all,

My husband and I are considering going to this Expo in March. I was just wondering if anyone else has ever been to one and if it was much help?

We can't start our application process until I finish uni in 2 1/2 years time, but really want to start planning our move asap. We are even thinking about putting the house up for sale towards to end of next year so we can get in rented asap, so not to hold up the move.

Lets just hope my job will still be on the skills list by the time we are ready to move!!

Any feedback will be hugely appreciated!

Abi :chatterbox:

Hi Abi

We also went to Opportunities Australia Expo in London when we were first looking into things, and personally for us we didnt find out anything different than what i had already read in the Australia and New Zealand Magazine (which i have now stopped buying!!!) and found out about online

so for us it was no help, the only thing i could see that might of made a difference was that a lot of people were queing up to speak to the various states and also finding out if they were eligible to move, but if you have already done these things then i would say it was a bit of a waste of money.

we were expecting to get more info about recruiters and the jobs front, but there was none about that..... they had shipping companies, and pet removals etc, and you could speak to the big banks, but to be honest didnt find out anything more than what you could have done online....

I would not go to another one, but then there might be someone here that had a different experience to us....... also we had to come up from Devon so that was a night in a hotel with a small baby......if you are already in or around London then maybe it would be a bit different

Whatever you decide all the best for the future and hope someone else can come along and give you a different view from mine

Good luck and enjoy

Jill

Went to one in Leeds a couple of years ago and it was pathetic. The only jobs there were Engineering and Nursing. There was a representative from South Australia gov and he gave a little talk which was basically just trying to promote the state but he was abysmal and very unprofessional. Other than that there was some shipping companies there.

A total waste of money and best avoided. You can find everything out via the Internet.

Guest simon geoffrey moore
Hi all,

My husband and I are considering going to this Expo in March. I was just wondering if anyone else has ever been to one and if it was much help?

We can't start our application process until I finish uni in 2 1/2 years time, but really want to start planning our move asap. We are even thinking about putting the house up for sale towards to end of next year so we can get in rented asap, so not to hold up the move.

Lets just hope my job will still be on the skills list by the time we are ready to move!!

went to one in london found it very helpful lot of info and jobs and people to talk to:chatterbox:

we went to one in london (had to fly from dublin for it as it was the nearest one to us). We didn't really learn anything new from it and was a waste of time for us - BUT that was because we had already done a lot of research and knew about visa types etc.

I think it might be ok for someone who is at very start of process / hasnt decided what state to go to / doesnt know the different types of visa's / not sure which visa to apply for / not sure about state sponsorship lists.

Although all this information is available on the net and most is probably available on this site.

Hope this helps.

Guest fatchefno1
Hi all,

Abi,

If you're in nursing or engineering or you don't fancy trawling the internet fro info and want to hear then they're worth a visit. i was a little surprised how few companies we are the on i went to about 5 monhths ago. That said, i had an interview within 8 weeks and i'm moving out to Aus, sponsored by one of the companies i met on the day, in about 8 weeks from now.

Thanks fatchefno1

I will be looking for work as a Podiatrist so don't really expect to see any potential employers. However I've noticed on the Expo website that they put up a list of who will be there. Maybe I shouldn't give up just yet..........:smile:

We went to the London expo last year. We were already well into the process, having done lots of research, and we mainly went to meet the Tassie immigration people that we'd already been emailing in the process, its nice to put a face to a name. We were given complimentary tickets, overall I'm glad we went but I didnt learn anything new. If you've done little or no research yet it may be worth going as a starting point, but otherwise dont expect too much.

I quite enjoyed the day. However, i think you need to be quite far on in your journey to get much benefit from it. There were lots of banks, removal companies, a few state people, employers (somewhat limited). I didn't really learn anything new to be honest, but it help to validate the research i had done. It is worth a day out if you are not too far away.

• 1 month later...

My daughter who is in Europe wanted to know my opinion about the Opportunities Australia Fair as she and boyfriend are planning to visit the one in London on 26/27th March, and she wanted to know if they should pay the 99pound ticket to get more personalized answers?

Anyone done that or is the 15P ticket good enough? (They are both Chemical engineers, BF with 3 years experience, and she with 1 year at moment).

Thanks

My daughter who is in Europe wanted to know my opinion about the Opportunities Australia Fair as she and boyfriend are planning to visit the one in London on 26/27th March, and she wanted to know if they should pay the 99pound ticket to get more personalized answers?

Anyone done that or is the 15P ticket good enough? (They are both Chemical engineers, BF with 3 years experience, and she with 1 year at moment).

Thanks

I think they would be absolutely nuts to pay £99.

We have been to one in London and two in Birmingham. We enjoy them as a 'day out' and have made a lot of contacts through them ie shipping companies, pet removals, banking in aust. etc.

As we live in the midlands it is no big deal for us and also if you subscribe to Australia magazine you usually get a discount on tickets. We usually spend a couple of hours at the expo, get our 'Australia Fix' and then go for a late lunch somewhere nice to finish off the day.

We took my sister to the last one and she found that she was elligable for a NZ visa!!!!!

She had never thought about emigrating before but now she is getting quite excited at the idea.

So, I would say ifyou are local then go for it, if on the otherhand it means a hotel stopover and loads of expence then wait for an expo in your area.

Best wishes Metoo

Archived