Dual Citizen Enter UK On Australian Passport One Way?

Guest pogo77

Guest pogo77

Firstly, hello to all!

As a dual Australian/British citizen without a British passport (Expired) I'd like some advice about entering the UK on an Australian Passport on a one-way ticket (We are moving back permanently to the UK) what evidence do I need to show that I'm a UK Citizen - A UK Birth Certificate, National Insurance Card, Driving Licence are these applicable?

Or, do we still need a new British Passport?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Hi...not sure on legalities but I would have thought you would need a current British Passport to enter UK on a one way ticket. The same as dual citizens going to Oz they need and Australian passport. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Good luck

Do you still have the expired passport? It still counts a lot.

Do you think you will get into the UK on an Australian Passport and a one way ticket?

I don't. You could get in with a return ticket and renew your UK passport there. However you would need to cantact the authoroties as they will eventually be looking for you as an illegal overstay. That could be in your favour if you are of Afghanistan or African descent though...LOL

I,m the same as you dual citizen when we left UK to come to Oz I showed my Oz passport at Heathrow and was told I had to show my UK passport, luckily i had it in my handbaggage!! The immigration guy was so insistant on seeing it that I thought they might not let me leave!! You will need to renew your UK passport, we are returning later this year and when I checked you will definately need your UK passport to get through immigration. I don't know where you live, but certain Oz post office have the facillity to renew UK passports, the main post office here in Adelaide does it.Good luck!:cute:

while you can enter the UK on an australian passport, they'll grant you an on the spot tourist visa type thing. However, you can only do this if you're actually on holiday, as you need to leave again within the timeframe, otherwise you're illegally overstaying.

If you're returning for good, you need to enter on your UK passport. While you used to be able to enter on an expired passport, these days it's much harder to do so, if not impossible, as even if you could get through immigration (which I don't think you can do any more), the airlines are highly unlikely to allow you to board the aircraft, so probably best to renew your passports before you go.

Archived