How do I submit Skype logs for partner visa subclass 820

looking4info

Hi there,

I am using the SkypeLogView to get my Skype chat history for my partner visa subclass 820 application and I am wondering how it should be presented?

Firstly, does this programme show it in a manner that is official enough for immigration?

And if so, do I scan it all (nearly 100 pages) or do I just scan a selection of pages for my online application? Anybody have a rough idea of how much they would require and would it be just a random selection of days from the 6 week period that we were apart?

Thanks in advance xxx

I'd not be uploading 100 pages of Skype chat.

Have you consulted with an agent about your best course of action? I seem to recall you were told this application could go either way and you were looking into a PMV also? With it possibly being a tricky application I'd be considering an agent to help guide in this sort of thing.

Personally I don't know what to suggest. If there is a genuine reason that can explain your being apart (such as one of your working away overseas or interstate) then I don't really see it needs skype logs to back that up as you were still a couple during this time, sharing a home, bills etc just one person had to work away for a bit. If its because you had to leave the country due to the limitations of a tourist visa, am not sure how it works with regards to an application or its implications. I do think that 100 pages is overkill but that is just me, someone else might say scan them all and upload them.

Edited by Guest

I'm with @snifter. I don't think they want to see 100-pages of Skype chat! But if it was part of a long-distance relationship, it would probably sensible to include it, in some way but not in it's entirity. If you were apart due to work/other travel, then I don't see the need.

My partner worked in Germany for some of time, when we first got together, and I just included the details in my personal statement - no questions were asked.

It depends on your situation, but we can only guess as to what that is.

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/_pdf/820-801-checklist.pdf

Evidence that your relationship with your partner is genuine and continuing.

See: Evidence of a genuine and continuing relationship

Do not send photo albums, folders, computer disks, plastic sleeves, or long

transcripts of skype or phone conversations as this will not be considered as

evidence of your genuine and ongoing relationship.

[h=3]MIGRATION ACT 1958 - SECT 54[/h]Minister must have regard to all information in application (1) The Minister must, in deciding whether to grant or refuse to grant a visa, have regard to all of the information in the application.

(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), information is in an application if the information is:

(a) set out in the application; or

(b) in a document attached to the application when it is made; or

© given under section 55.

(3) Without limiting subsection (1), a decision to grant or refuse to grant a visamay be made without giving the applicant an opportunity to make oral or written submissions.

Thanks everyone for all the advise. The Skype messages were for a 6 week period just after I met my partner. I had planned to go to Spain to volunteer and we kept in contact everyday that I was there. The Skype messages do show our names and we were clearly communicating as a couple. I might just submit a few random pages from it to show that we were in contact all that time.

The Skype messages do show our names and we were clearly communicating as a couple.

No the Skype messages showed that someone with your names communicated.. It could be anyone, you could both be sat in the same room at the time -- or be the same person on two computers talking to yourself. That's why official documents are favoured, much harder to fake and actually show an entanglement.

Edited by Peach

Thanks everyone for all the advise. The Skype messages were for a 6 week period just after I met my partner. I had planned to go to Spain to volunteer and we kept in contact everyday that I was there. The Skype messages do show our names and we were clearly communicating as a couple. I might just submit a few random pages from it to show that we were in contact all that time.

Your CO does not want to wade through this type of stuff. So what if you were apart for six weeks just after you just met, you were not a defacto couple the day you met anyway..? You only need to show evidence from the time you became defacto, not from the time you met or started dating. And as others have said, there would be no value in this type of evidence in any case.

Your CO does not want to wade through this type of stuff. So what if you were apart for six weeks just after you just met, you were not a defacto couple the day you met anyway..? You only need to show evidence from the time you became defacto, not from the time you met or started dating. And as others have said, there would be no value in this type of evidence in any case.

When I was in Spain we decided that we wanted to be together long-term and live together in Australia and that is when I booked a flight to come to here to live (which my partner paid for by transferring the money to my account). We believe that our defacto relationship began with that decision. Considering this would it not be helpful to show some correspondence prior to my arrival in Australia? Will the CO not accept that the defacto relationship began before I arrived here in Australia and began living with my partner?

You might evidence that by showing a couple of sample pages, and DIBP are more likely to be impressed by the duration and frequency of calls than by the absolute number of them. Statements from friends are good, but again, the first two add a lot of value and each subsequent one adds less value. Shared bills are good, especially for showing the ongoingness of a relationship. But if you are sharing rent or electricity, adding in the water bills, telephone bills, council tax bills, TV licences, gas bills, etc. will add less and less value.

DIBP simply need enough evidence to allow you in - their staff generally want to help partners to be together. When giving evidence, go for variety rather than volume.

When I was in Spain we decided that we wanted to be together long-term and live together in Australia and that is when I booked a flight to come to here to live (which my partner paid for by transferring the money to my account). We believe that our defacto relationship began with that decision. Considering this would it not be helpful to show some correspondence prior to my arrival in Australia? Will the CO not accept that the defacto relationship began before I arrived here in Australia and began living with my partner?

Your de facto relationship began when you started living together.

Your de facto relationship began when you started living together.

Yes. Of course it did.

If it depended on when the couple decided they wanted to be together long-term then married people could argue that they were married from the time they became engaged.

Which is, of course, nonsense.

Edited by NickyNook