Shortest flight to get to New Zealand?

BritChickx

Me and Paul were looking at stopping at Singapore but.....A 12 hour flight, with a few hour stop and then a 13 hour flight is scaring me :unsure:

Is there any other flight that goes there quicker? I mean is that the only way to fly or can you go anti clock wise to say america as the stop over? just wanna get there as quick as possible lol. If there isn't a quicker flight what's a good country to stop over for a day or 2 before the second leg of the flight?

Any help would be appreciated :)

New Zealand is literally the other side of the world. I don't think it will make much difference which way you fly, the flights will still be that long lol.

You will need to stop over via LA or a hub in Asia (Singapore, Hong Kong etc). The hub in Asia would depend who you fly with. Singapore Airlines goes through Singapore, air New Zealand through Hong Kong etc.

Personally I prefer going through Asia than LA but I believe you get a bigger luggage allowance if you go through the US (don't ask me why).

I'd probably short list your preferred airlines and go from there. It's a long flight so you want a good airline. Singapore are very good of course and Air New Zealand are actually pretty good. I know several people who have flown Emirates as well ( via Dubai I think) but haven't flown with them myself.

Hope this helps :)

I'd go via Asia and avoid the US hassle at airports there. Defo Singapore wins hands down for me everytime for a stopover. Fab airport if you stay in it, swimming pool showers, decent things to do etc. Can happily pass a few hours or grab a room for 6 hours or so and get some kip if you have a longer stopover.

There isn't a short option. Its about the furthest you can fly (other than the Pacific Islands).

Didn't think there would be a quicker route....one can hope though lol. Think we're gonna go with singapore airlines, they seem to be the cheapest anyway. Can only get flights with 5-6 hour stops, probably just have a shower and a nap before we get back on the plane! i like flying but not when i'm flying that long, worried i'm gonna have a huuuge backache sitting down for a whole day lol.

I went with singapore airlines and stopped over at singapore .. The airline is fabulous i have struggled to fly with anyone else since! The room at singapore very cheap ( 12 pounds) but a really nice room and i went out of the airport and enjoyed a quick look around! I have no experience of other airlines out there. good luck! x

New Zealand is on the other side of the world. If you transpose NZ to the other side of the world it sits on the west coast of Ireland.

So you can go either way. The Air NZ flight goes via the US, everybody else via Asia. I've done both. If you go via the US you have to go through US passport control. This is a major pain, and can have you standing in a queue for half an hour easily. I'd go the Singapore route every time.

Flight times in either direction are similar.

If you fly london auckland with airNZ via LA you'll have a two hour stopoever, and do have to go through passport control, but because you're getting back on the same flight/plane it's a small control outside the transit lounge that's dedicated to your flight, so really not much of a hassle, and unless things have changed, you get two pieces of checked luggage allowance going through the US.

Would not recommend US if you have to change flights though, as you have to go through general passport control, which is a pain, and collect/re-check luggage.

Singapore is a much nicer airport to spend time in, but you'll probably have a longer gap between flights, which will lead to an overall longer door to door time. And only a 20kg luggage allowance.

If you transpose NZ to the other side of the world it sits on the west coast of Ireland.

While NZ would roughly be on the same longitude as the west coast of Ireland it would be much further south.

The bulk of NZ lies between 35 and 45 degrees south. An equivalent country between 35 and 45 degrees of latitude in the north would be Portugal.