Start working holiday in Sydney or Melbourne?

Nicole Apthorpe

Hi guys.

I'm just starting to plan my working holiday.

I can't decide between starting in Sydney or Melbourne. Ideally I'd like to settle in one city for the majority of my time I'm Oz to work and save before travelling around the rest of the country & also parts of SE Asia, so it's important for me to chose the right place.

From what I can see, Melbourne sounds like my 'kind of place' (although I know you never really know until you get there) but I'm coming on my own and most people I've spoken to so far online are all heading for Sydney. Is there a big backpacker community in Melbourne? And how about places to stay long term? I need to find a job asap and I've heard its easier to get a backpacker job in Sydney, is this true? If so that would be a big deciding factor for me!

Any help is appreciated :) xx

Hi guys.

I'm just starting to plan my working holiday.

I can't decide between starting in Sydney or Melbourne. Ideally I'd like to settle in one city for the majority of my time I'm Oz to work and save before travelling around the rest of the country & also parts of SE Asia, so it's important for me to chose the right place.

From what I can see, Melbourne sounds like my 'kind of place' (although I know you never really know until you get there) but I'm coming on my own and most people I've spoken to so far online are all heading for Sydney. Is there a big backpacker community in Melbourne? And how about places to stay long term? I need to find a job asap and I've heard its easier to get a backpacker job in Sydney, is this true? If so that would be a big deciding factor for me!

Any help is appreciated :) xx

There is no 'right' or 'wrong' decision, so just think of it as two 'right' choices. If you fancy Melbourne, go there first. I planned around going to Perth first, which I did, but spent the bulk of my time in Sydney.

Yes there is a large backpacking community in Melbourne. Heaps of backpacker hostels in the cbd. I guess the ease of securing a job will vary depending on the job, the applicant and the applicants range of skills. I would think that the challenges of securing a job would be just the same whichever city you choose to go to.

Have a search on the book of Face. There are various backpacker groups on there all sharing info specifically for backpackers.

• 2 weeks later...

As some have already said you'll best avoiding winter in Melbourne. January to March is brilliant in Melbourne, even if you don't think you'll be into them the Australian Open, Grand Prix, Gay Pride, Moomba Festival, and St Kilda Festival create a real buzz around the City, there is something big practically every weekend for those three months. So give you are going in January I'd head to Melbourne first then go up to Sydney in May/June time.

A left field suggestion - why not start in Brisbane? A lot of the things you really want to see are in Queensland: beautiful beaches (Sunshine Coast), Fraser Island, the Great Barrier Reef, the Whitsundays, Kuranda etc. You could then fly to Darwin to see the Kakadu National Park or to Alice Springs to see Uluru - or for the adventurous, I believe you can take a Greyhound bus and do some stopovers along the way.

Sydney and Melbourne are big expensive cities and while they have tourist attractions like any big city, they're not quintessentially Australian. Once you've seen the Harbour, Opera House and Bondi Beach in Sydney, you've seen all there is to see (the Blue Mountains are pretty but if you've ever been to the Lake District or Scotland, you won't be overawed).

• 1 month later...
Hey Garreth, i'm not planning on going until January 2016. Only just started looking into it & need time to save up enough money! how about you?

Hi Nicole, I'm going in January 2016 too and thought I was set on Sydney but now I'm not too sure! Maybe we could meet up if we land in the same place :)