Work for us Queensland - nursing jobs

Maruska

Hi,

did anyone apply for a job through this website? It`s a Queensland government website, private hospitals and clinics aren`t included. There is an option to submit an "expression of interest" and they would than match you with available jobs. I want to know if there are usually a lot of choices or they just give one option? We like certain areas, especially because we have preschool aged kids so good schools are important to us.

Also, if you are already working for a government hospital in Queensland, how do you like it?

I am not sure if it`s better to look at a hospital in a place(s) where we want to settle and approach the facility directly but I couldn`t find a recruitment websites for individual hospitals.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Guest Guest31881

Hi,

Welcome to PIO,

I am not 100% sure but i think Hospital jobs are normally advertised on the Government health sites.

We have a nursing thread that may be of help to you.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/jobs-careers/54240-nurses-questions-what-you-might-need-immigration-paperwork.html

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/jobs-careers/54239-nurses-questions-registrations.html

Those links may be able to help you...

Thanks. Yes they advertise current jobs on the government web BUT the Expression of interest is for unadvertised jobs. I am hoping to be in AU hopefully this time next year and wanted to see what was available . We are not 100 % decided on the area we would like to go to.

Guest Guest31881

I would suggest that you decide what areas you are interested in, start by deciding what you want in the way of weather, facilities and what you want to avoid. You can fit the whole of Europe into Australia and still have plenty of room to spare. each state ha its own weather systems and climate. Some stated such as QLD varies from tropical to Sub tropical to temperate depending where in the state you live.

Once you have done that then you can start to see what work is available and what will be available shortly, you can try contacting the Hospitals direct to see what the chances are of either sponsorship or employment there is if you arrive on a skilled visa. , I believe in Perth they are building a new hospital and there may be a better chance of finding employment there, But (and its a big but) make sure it would be an area you would want to live in, some love Perth others hate it and the same can be said for every state.

Don't forget to also look into registration as that can take a long time to organise. I am sure we will have some nurses on here who will be able to offer more specific advice,

Thank you for the reply, yes I guess it`s still too early ( I am giving AHPRA 6 months for registration processing just to be on the safe side):confused:. I recently heard of new hospital being build in Kawana near Caloundra in QLD. That`s also something we will look into.

About Perth, I am sure it`s a lovely city but it`s not one of the places we are considering. We do like to do a lot of day and weekend trips and WA seems to offer less opportunities to just do a quick trip somewhere nice and different each time.

I already run out of new day trips in the Houston area :wink:

. I recently heard of new hospital being build in Kawana near Caloundra in QLD.

I wouldn't pin any hopes on the new hospital. It has been put on hold in the past and with the change of gov't here in Qld, there is a possibility that the same thing may happen again. I'm not saying that it won't happen, just that for a new migrant, it would be a better choice to pin your hopes on something established, as opposed to a "maybe".

As others have said you need to get your registration, visa and where you want to live sorted out first. I did use the expressions of interest and managed to get a job that wasn't advertised. We were already here and knew the area I wanted to work. Within 24 hours 2 nursing mancontacted me and I started the next week in a 4 month contract with hours that suited me. The job wasn't in my speciality, but as the manager said, it would get me into Queenland Health. 4 months later got a job in my speciality and 4 years later still work there. Elena

Hi,

did anyone apply for a job through this website? It`s a Queensland government website, private hospitals and clinics aren`t included. There is an option to submit an "expression of interest" and they would than match you with available jobs. I want to know if there are usually a lot of choices or they just give one option? We like certain areas, especially because we have preschool aged kids so good schools are important to us.

Also, if you are already working for a government hospital in Queensland, how do you like it?

I am not sure if it`s better to look at a hospital in a place(s) where we want to settle and approach the facility directly but I couldn`t find a recruitment websites for individual hospitals.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Hi Maruska

I really wouldn't pin your hopes on working for Qld Health right now and would be very surprised if you got a job through them as I believe they aren't sponsoring nurses. I spoke with a private employer in Qld the other day who advised to stay clear of Qld Health until their problems are sorted out. If it's Qld you want to go to I would suggest you go through the major recruitment websites like 'Seek' and apply directly to private employers. As for recruitment agencies, one I had contact with in Qld told me that they have more available in other States, the ones I have enroled with in Qld I have heard very little from. Go direct to private employers, that's your best bet, for Qld anyway.

Hi Maruska

I really wouldn't pin your hopes on working for Qld Health right now and would be very surprised if you got a job through them as I believe they aren't sponsoring nurses. I spoke with a private employer in Qld the other day who advised to stay clear of Qld Health until their problems are sorted out. If it's Qld you want to go to I would suggest you go through the major recruitment websites like 'Seek' and apply directly to private employers. As for recruitment agencies, one I had contact with in Qld told me that they have more available in other States, the ones I have enroled with in Qld I have heard very little from. Go direct to private employers, that's your best bet, for Qld anyway.

They would say that wouldn't they? Less recruits for Qld health means more for them. Why do you think the private sector needs to sponsor when Qld Health doesn't?

Actually, Qld Health does sponsor. It's just that it's on hold in the SE Corner but some regional hospitals are still sponsoring.

They would say that wouldn't they? Less recruits for Qld health means more for them. Why do you think the private sector needs to sponsor when Qld Health doesn't?

Actually, Qld Health does sponsor. It's just that it's on hold in the SE Corner but some regional hospitals are still sponsoring.

Johndoe I rang qld health myself and spoke directly to one of the (many) people who deal with sponsorship who told me that they are not sponsoring right now. Having recently gone through this process myself- I have applied for a number of jobs through qld health, in my field and in my expertise and got nowhere. Considering they seem to have major nursing shortages I'm very surprised they seem not to be recruiting foreigners.

Johndoe I rang qld health myself and spoke directly to one of the (many) people who deal with sponsorship who told me that they are not sponsoring right now. Having recently gone through this process myself- I have applied for a number of jobs through qld health, in my field and in my expertise and got nowhere. Considering they seem to have major nursing shortages I'm very surprised they seem not to be recruiting foreigners.

You spoke to the wrong person.........................in fact, you were lucky to get to speak to anyone in Qld Health. Believe what you want, but if you look through recent posts on this forum, you'd realise that Nambour Hospital, Townsville, and Rockhampton have sponsored members very recently and I can assure you, that other regional hospitals are open to sponsorship as they can't get enough Australian nurses to go regional. It's definitley down to who you speak to and if you think that one person in Qld health can speak for every Qld hospital, then you are destined for the private sector. Most individual hospital managers have autonomy when it comes to sponsorship and if you think that "one of the many" (as you put it) can speak for all, then I have to assure you that you are giving the wrong impression to those seeking sponsorship (regionally).

A major reason that many Qld Health Hospital managers won't sponsor is because of the many time wasters who either change their mind with regards to coming to Oz, or go elsewhere, after the managers have given their time to interview, and that is from a "horse's mouth"...................several mouth's in fact.

I don`t need a sponsor, we are planning to come on 175 visa. Just need the job.... Are private hospitals really better? I looked at the Queensland Health web info about working hours, compensation, benefits, leave..... sounded pretty good to me and I am not underpaid here in the US by any means... well I am but I did it to myself, only working 20 hours a week now to spend more time with my kids:wink:. I am concerned about private hospitals being unregulated and I could end up with unmanageable patient load or not get a reasonable annual leave.

What I was thinking is that I would send a resume and see who is interested, than based on that we decide if the area is acceptable to us ( most areas will do, just not remote/rural) and start searching for schools etc. Don`t know if that`s the right way but we are pretty flexible and not set on one particular place

You spoke to the wrong person.........................in fact, you were lucky to get to speak to anyone in Qld Health. Believe what you want, but if you look through recent posts on this forum, you'd realise that Nambour Hospital, Townsville, and Rockhampton have sponsored members very recently and I can assure you, that other regional hospitals are open to sponsorship as they can't get enough Australian nurses to go regional. It's definitley down to who you speak to and if you think that one person in Qld health can speak for every Qld hospital, then you are destined for the private sector. Most individual hospital managers have autonomy when it comes to sponsorship and if you think that "one of the many" (as you put it) can speak for all, then I have to assure you that you are giving the wrong impression to those seeking sponsorship (regionally).

A major reason that many Qld Health Hospital managers won't sponsor is because of the many time wasters who either change their mind with regards to coming to Oz, or go elsewhere, after the managers have given their time to interview, and that is from a "horse's mouth"...................several mouth's in fact.

Well then I think I'll try those hospitals myself.

Hey there, Just thought I'd let you know my experience with regards to employment with Queensland Health over the last few months.

We definitely decided that Queensland was the place for us, we wanted a coastal area and narrowed it down to ideally the Sunshine Coast or surrounding areas. You will find that you cannot apply for a job in Queensland unless you have your AHPRA registration first and on a personal experience no managers will be very interested in you until you have it also. Therefore I took a backseat on finding a job until I had gained my registration (this took approx 4 months). I then contacted a few managers of the emergency depts along the sunshine coast personally via email forwarding my cv. I had some great responses and they were very keen initially but were not in a position to sponsor internationally (this area in particular has been put on hold for sponsoring). I had previously completed the expression of interest but again they weren't that interested until I had gained my registration. Once I had it I emailed them again telling them the areas we were interested in relocating too. They were brilliant and forwarded my cv to several emergency dept managers ( even those who weren't currently recruiting). Within a couple of weeks the manager of Hervey Bay hospital contacted me directly and asked me to participate in an interview......and here I am now with a job and sponsorship! :)

To cut a long story short, it is possible but you have to work hard to get it, the area in particular you are looking at is very popular for both international and australian nurses so they can be choosy about who they employ and you have to prove your worth it! But i have to say Queeensland health were great with me and very helpful!

Hey there, Just thought I'd let you know my experience with regards to employment with Queensland Health over the last few months.

We definitely decided that Queensland was the place for us, we wanted a coastal area and narrowed it down to ideally the Sunshine Coast or surrounding areas. You will find that you cannot apply for a job in Queensland unless you have your AHPRA registration first and on a personal experience no managers will be very interested in you until you have it also. Therefore I took a backseat on finding a job until I had gained my registration (this took approx 4 months). I then contacted a few managers of the emergency depts along the sunshine coast personally via email forwarding my cv. I had some great responses and they were very keen initially but were not in a position to sponsor internationally (this area in particular has been put on hold for sponsoring). I had previously completed the expression of interest but again they weren't that interested until I had gained my registration. Once I had it I emailed them again telling them the areas we were interested in relocating too. They were brilliant and forwarded my cv to several emergency dept managers ( even those who weren't currently recruiting). Within a couple of weeks the manager of Hervey Bay hospital contacted me directly and asked me to participate in an interview......and here I am now with a job and sponsorship! :)

To cut a long story short, it is possible but you have to work hard to get it, the area in particular you are looking at is very popular for both international and australian nurses so they can be choosy about who they employ and you have to prove your worth it! But i have to say Queeensland health were great with me and very helpful!

Thank you,

that`s really helpful. I am going to get AHPRA first, then start applying. That`s actually exactly what I was hoping for, to apply through QH and they would then circulate my CV.... brilliant!!! How is the work experience so far for you? I guess if you are sponsored you are required to work full time right? Is anyone at the place you work doing part time?

We aren't actually out there yet, still in the midst of the application for our 457 visa so fingers crossed that all goes ok! Yes, you do need to work full time on this visa, but I do have friends on the same visa that are currently working on the Sunshine Coast and they have been able to drop to 30hrs a week ( something to do with still being above the minimum salary on the 457 visa). It's not something I know much about but I will def look into it once we have been there a while.

Good luck with your AHPRA application, it's a painfully slow process, but the day you get that email saying you are registered makes it all worth while! :))

Not sure about nurses but Queensland health were at the RCM conference in November 2011 looking for midwives, but they were out of the main cities. So I guess it depends were you want to go. We are going to Brisbane (OH has a job offer ) so I have no choice, I was told I would find it hard to gain employment to start with (will also be newly qualified) but that I shoud make myself known at all the local hospital and to keep bothering them, that I may have to start bank to begin with but then should be able to go permanent job.

Tina family of five

We aren't actually out there yet, still in the midst of the application for our 457 visa so fingers crossed that all goes ok! Yes, you do need to work full time on this visa, but I do have friends on the same visa that are currently working on the Sunshine Coast and they have been able to drop to 30hrs a week ( something to do with still being above the minimum salary on the 457 visa). It's not something I know much about but I will def look into it once we have been there a while.

Good luck with your AHPRA application, it's a painfully slow process, but the day you get that email saying you are registered makes it all worth while! :))

30 hours a week doesn`t sound bad at all:biggrin:. Hope everything goes smoothly for you with the visa.

Not sure about nurses but Queensland health were at the RCM conference in November 2011 looking for midwives, but they were out of the main cities. So I guess it depends were you want to go. We are going to Brisbane (OH has a job offer ) so I have no choice, I was told I would find it hard to gain employment to start with (will also be newly qualified) but that I shoud make myself known at all the local hospital and to keep bothering them, that I may have to start bank to begin with but then should be able to go permanent job.

Tina family of five

Hi Tina,

I think you might have a good chance in Brisbane, surely the large hospitals must have a new grad program? Also, based on my experience in the US, I wouldn`t go banking/agency as a new grad. Better have a "home" unit:wink: where they give you proper training. Fingers crossed for you xxx

Well done, and a lovely area to live and work in.

Tina family of five

Hi Tina, Where is your OH's job loacated? If it's north side, drop me a pm as I'm sure my wife will be able to find you pool work (initially)

kev

Hi Tina,

I think you might have a good chance in Brisbane, surely the large hospitals must have a new grad program? Also, based on my experience in the US, I wouldn`t go banking/agency as a new grad. Better have a "home" unit:wink: where they give you proper training. Fingers crossed for you xxx

I disagree. Pool work is ideal for new grads as it gives them an insight into different disciplines and assists them decide where they would like to see themselves on a permanent basis...............in fact............the new grad programmes are so over subscibed that most in the SE corner end up doing pool anyway or being offered regional positions.

I disagree. Pool work is ideal for new grads as it gives them an insight into different disciplines and assists them decide where they would like to see themselves on a permanent basis...............in fact............the new grad programmes are so over subscibed that most in the SE corner end up doing pool anyway or being offered regional positions.

Are we talking about the same thing ( nursing pool vs agency work)? I only worked agency in the US but you get 2-4 hour orientation on the unit and then you get full assignment.If the unit is OK you may get some help, if it`s crazy busy then good luck, you are on your own. The agencies are not employing new grads because you need some experience to "hit the ground running". The requirement at an agency I worked for was 2 years of experience. I can`t imagine doing this right out of school and that doesn`t mean that new grads aren`t qualified or knowledgeable:wink:

Archived