Work for us Queensland - nursing jobs

Maruska

I disagree. Pool work is ideal for new grads as it gives them an insight into different disciplines and assists them decide where they would like to see themselves on a permanent basis...............in fact............the new grad programmes are so over subscibed that most in the SE corner end up doing pool anyway or being offered regional positions.

Hi Kev,

I have PM'd you.

I was told I have little hope of getting on a grad programme as they are in such short supply as they give the places to Oz students first (which I think is fair I would not be happy if everyone came here and took all our positions) but that if I make myself know I should be able to pick up some work which should then develop in to a more permanent role.

The advantage is that I can see how different hospitals work and see for myself where I might be best suited.

Tina, family of five

Are we talking about the same thing ( nursing pool vs agency work)? I only worked agency in the US but you get 2-4 hour orientation on the unit and then you get full assignment.If the unit is OK you may get some help, if it`s crazy busy then good luck, you are on your own. The agencies are not employing new grads because you need some experience to "hit the ground running". The requirement at an agency I worked for was 2 years of experience. I can`t imagine doing this right out of school and that doesn`t mean that new grads aren`t qualified or knowledgeable:wink:

No. "Pool" is employment by the hospital with no agency involved. You have the same conditions of employment as permanent staff and are used to "fill-in" for sickness/holidays etc so may be sent to work on a ward in which you have no experience. It is good grounding for those who would like to sample many disciplines before deciding where they want to work/gain experience, or for those who want their work to fit in with other commitments such as children.

No. "Pool" is employment by the hospital with no agency involved. You have the same conditions of employment as permanent staff and are used to "fill-in" for sickness/holidays etc so may be sent to work on a ward in which you have no experience. It is good grounding for those who would like to sample many disciplines before deciding where they want to work/gain experience, or for those who want their work to fit in with other commitments such as children.

That sounds interesting, I will look into it because I would really like to have the flexibility with 2 little kids. Is it exclusive to the big teaching hospitals in the state capitals or is it available in the regional areas too ( I don`t mean the outback)? Is it usually listed as a position that you can apply for ? And do you have to do rotation shifts? I`ve only worked days for the last 4 years and would prefer it that way. How many hours a week are you required to work? Lots of questions, if you could give me some more info I would really appreciate it.

• 2 months later...
Guest froglet

I'd be very wary also of private hospitals! I work for one here in the UK, in fact it's American owned HCA. I'm either run off my feet with a huge patient load or as is happening more and more, when there are too few patients, we are sent home and expected to owe those hours back, and they can call you at any time, so if you already are on a 48 hour week, and the ward fills up, you're expected to return those hours as and when they need you!! I've ended up paying hours back by sacrificing most of my annual leave this year alone. Sick leave is another one...it's by discretion only. I fell and injured my knee. Signed off by my GP for 2 weeks and wasn't paid a bean! So, yes, theoretically their salary might look a bit more attractive and they'll promise you the moon at interview, but I'll never go down this path again:eek:

That sounds interesting, I will look into it because I would really like to have the flexibility with 2 little kids. Is it exclusive to the big teaching hospitals in the state capitals or is it available in the regional areas too ( I don`t mean the outback)? Is it usually listed as a position that you can apply for ? And do you have to do rotation shifts? I`ve only worked days for the last 4 years and would prefer it that way. How many hours a week are you required to work? Lots of questions, if you could give me some more info I would really appreciate it.

Soory Maruska, I missed this post.

Can't speak for regional Hospitals only brisbane. I've never seen the role advertised but that's not to say that it isn't. In my wife's hospital, most roles are filled by word of mouth or nurses "taking time out" when a new baby arrives. You're not required to work a set number of hours, indeed, many of those in permanent permissions such as nurses on my wife's ward who've been there for years, may only work two or three days a week. Her ward is very accommodating and from what she's told me, it's the same throughout the hospital.

PIO member Generalis is doing an EN course and my wife's ward have employed her when she isn't in Tafe as an AIN. Her shifts accomodate her training and are changed if she has to go somewhere on Prac..............IOW..........wherever possible, wards will accomodate the individual. She intends to take her RN later and it is highly likely that once she finishes this training, the ward will employ her as an EN and accomodate her with appropropriate shifts when she starts her RN traing. In a couple of words, if they value your skills, they will accomodate with shifts wherever possible.

That sounds very good Johndoe, thanks for taking the time to reply. We do have a good work/life balance right now but it`s because we`ve both been with the hospital for a couple of years already. I don`t count on it being so good when we first arrive, I know we will have to establish ourselves first. The pool seems to be the answer to our needs. Would you know what kind of shifts are usual in the hospital? Need to figure out how to go about the day - drop kids to school/daycare, go to work, pick up kids ( would prefer them NOT to be in care till late afternoon). We are thinking of one of us doing the early shift - 6-2 pm and the other maybe 10-6 ( 8 hour shifts), is something like that doable?

Archived