What to do with all the sentimental stuff?

oidara

Container or cabin?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Container or cabin?

• Pack it in the container
    • Take it on the plane

You know...old photos, yearbooks, love letters, baby footprints...those kind of things.

Given the double baggage allowance and the fact that there are 5 of us, I was planning to take some of our more sentimental belongings on the plane for safety's sake.

Now I'm having doubts and wondering if they'd in fact be far safer in the container than in a suitcase that may well go missing.

A silly question, I know, but any thoughts!?

Was hoping to create a poll, but I'm not sure I know how to!

Hiya, definitely container for me! Not only do i think it safer, but you dont get your stuff from the container for a few months once in oz, so you need that baggage allowance for a few months worth of clothes and other necessities you dont want to have to buy again when you're there. Best of luck, when do you leave?

For what it is worth - take the stuff with $ value with you in your hand luggage, and the belongings with sentimental $ in your container.

My OH mislaid a couple of lovely pill boxes with her mum and dad's remains in during our move. We still have weekends where we search the house top to bottom to try and find them. I don't know why I am telling you this...

I deliberated over thisthought or a long time, in the end I carried jewelry in my hand luggage (not that I had much) and put photos in the container, I did have most on CD or data sticks though.

Good luck:wubclub:

I think - without trying to be offensive - that you seem to worry a lot about risks that have a very low frequency of occurrence

No worries. You can still take the "least risk" option. Shipping containers go astray or come to some other misfortune (theft, damp, whatever) far less frequently than do checked baggage on flights. So stick it in your container, and don't worry too much. You have 3 kids you are travelling with AFAIK, and they are miles more important than any keepsakes

Guest guest36187

Sentimental stuff and jewellery in luggage! Definatly. Any pictures that were of very sentimental value went in cases too. Can always buy clothes when you get here. Cnt buy new photos to replace old ones!

Thanks for the input, everyone. It's amazing how much "sentimental" stuff you can accumulate by your mid-30s, especially once you have kids!

pintpot - Not sure what you mean by this: "I think - without trying to be offensive - that you seem to worry a lot about risks that have a very low frequency of occurrence". Sounds like you're referring to some other post?? Anyway, I'm not particularly worried about this. Just in the throes of packing and wondering what to put where. Thought it would be interesting to hear what other folk did, that's all.

• 2 weeks later...

Well blow me down - 10 years ago to the day since we said our goodbyes to my OH's mother and I finally find the pill box with her remains in whilst packing for our camping trip this weekend. Spooky or what?

For what it is worth - take the stuff with $ value with you in your hand luggage, and the belongings with sentimental $ in your container.

My OH mislaid a couple of lovely pill boxes with her mum and dad's remains in during our move. We still have weekends where we search the house top to bottom to try and find them. I don't know why I am telling you this...

You know...old photos, yearbooks, love letters, baby footprints...those kind of things.

Given the double baggage allowance and the fact that there are 5 of us, I was planning to take some of our more sentimental belongings on the plane for safety's sake.

Now I'm having doubts and wondering if they'd in fact be far safer in the container than in a suitcase that may well go missing.

A silly question, I know, but any thoughts!?

Was hoping to create a poll, but I'm not sure I know how to!

Scan em all and then pack em.

I don't have any left apart from my photo albums which are at my parents place. Apart from that I threw everything away when I moved internationally for the first time which was in 2007. I didn't see why and how to keep lots of stuff. I don't miss anything. Well, I regret that I have to give a lot of books away every time we move again. Which happened three times since 2007.

Archived