Visa label in passport for WA driving licence??

Bridgeman

Apologies if I am posting this in the wrong section. I have just been to Kelmscott vehicle and driver centre to get my WA licence and they would not accept my documents as I was informed I need to have a visa label in my passport, even though I had my visa grant letter which clearly states that you do not need a visa label as it is all done electronically. I thought all government agencies had access to the VEVO system. Has anyone else experienced this and if so how do I go about getting a label put in my passport?

Hi Bridgeman

We had no bother getting our WA licence. That was 11 months ago when label free passports were just getting started. Maybe you just got an idiot!! Why don't you try a different driver centre. Or even just ring to see what they say. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Liz x

Thanks for your responses. We did ask to speak to the manager who was adamant we had to have the label. I also rang the WA dept of transport, explained I was from the UK and got some idiot person who told me I could use my birth certificate instead. On checking their list of ID documents, it clearly states Australian or NZ birth certificate! So I rang them again and spoke to someone else, who insisted they needed to see a visa label. She then put me on hold for 5 minutes while she found a number for me to ring at DIAC which I though would be a direct line to the right department but which turned out to be the central number for DIAC. Eventually spoke to someone from DIAC in Melbourne who laughed his socks off and said 'Yes, WA is the only state that does this! Sometimes they won't even accept the visa label! They are a bit behind the times over there.' He then gave me the address of the immigration office in Perth and told me to go in there to get the label put in for which I have to pay $60, so that's $120 for the two of us. I can't understand this. Surely there must be loads of people from the UK coming over on permanent visas who need to get driving licences. Do they all have to go through this ridiculous process? It's so annoying as all the offices are only open Monday to Friday which means having to take time off work to sort it.

Hi Bridgeman

We had no bother getting our WA licence. That was 11 months ago when label free passports were just getting started. Maybe you just got an idiot!! Why don't you try a different driver centre. Or even just ring to see what they say. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Liz x

Can I ask which office you went to? And what evidence you provided for Category A showing evidence of your resident status? Might try that one. Although I think the problem may be that they have just changed all the rules and updated the type of identification you need to provide.

Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks for your responses. We did ask to speak to the manager who was adamant we had to have the label. I also rang the WA dept of transport, explained I was from the UK and got some idiot person who told me I could use my birth certificate instead. On checking their list of ID documents, it clearly states Australian or NZ birth certificate! So I rang them again and spoke to someone else, who insisted they needed to see a visa label. She then put me on hold for 5 minutes while she found a number for me to ring at DIAC which I though would be a direct line to the right department but which turned out to be the central number for DIAC. Eventually spoke to someone from DIAC in Melbourne who laughed his socks off and said 'Yes, WA is the only state that does this! Sometimes they won't even accept the visa label! They are a bit behind the times over there.' He then gave me the address of the immigration office in Perth and told me to go in there to get the label put in for which I have to pay $60, so that's $120 for the two of us. I can't understand this. Surely there must be loads of people from the UK coming over on permanent visas who need to get driving licences. Do they all have to go through this ridiculous process? It's so annoying as all the offices are only open Monday to Friday which means having to take time off work to sort it.

Not sure why WA make you pay for the visa label Melbourne didn't use to, unless they have changed things as well now.

Hi Bridgeman We were in the Midland office that day. We took our passports, visa grant letter and UK licences. I think we also had evidence of where we were living but I couldn't swear to that. The girl on the desk didn't even look at the grant letter. It was 4 April last year so maybe rules have changed since. Fingers crossed for you.

Liz x

Hi Bridgeman We were in the Midland office that day. We took our passports, visa grant letter and UK licences. I think we also had evidence of where we were living but I couldn't swear to that. The girl on the desk didn't even look at the grant letter. It was 4 April last year so maybe rules have changed since. Fingers crossed for you.

Liz x

Thanks for that. Maybe we should try there.

Guest Jill53

My son and his mate had the label put in no problem at the office in Welshpool- yes there was a cost, but at least he now has WA licence with photo evidence- useful as ID here, he has been asked to prove his age at pubs and it is better than carrying a passport around.

Guest The Pom Queen

Ok I have received some official clarification on this.

In September 2011 the Dept Of Transport in WA made a unilateral decision to request to see visa labels in passports. There was no consultation with DIAC. This was a decision made by a STATE agency and NOT a Federal Agency. It is a Policy decision not legislation therefore subject to change at any time.

WA is the only State to implement this rule.

DIAC (Perth) can evidence any visa with the exception of:

New Zealand Passport Holders on Visa Subclass 444

People holding Bridging Visas (apart from BVB which can be evidenced)

There is no cost for evidencing visas except for holders of 155 visas. These people have to pay $60 to get a label in a new passport, however this is regardless of whether it is for a driving licence or not. However this may change to charging for all evidencing in the new financial year which starts on 1st July 2012.

Every Driving Licence Centre adheres to the same rules so there is no point going to different ones.

Australian Citizens who were not born in Australia have to take their birth certificate with their passport now to get a Driving Licence.

DIAC are open 9am - 4pm Monday to Friday.

Hope this helps and please remember the staff are only doing as they have been advised.

Many thanks for the clarification. That explains a lot. They should, however, make this clear on the list of identification documents on their website which you are required to provide. This is for category A and it just states:Evidence of Resident Status (issued by DIAC) or Immigration Papers. There is no mention of visa labels, so I think that there will be lots of other people caught out by this.

Hi Bridgeman

Liz x

Couldn't agree more, Government Departments are famous for giving out differing information depending on who you speak to.

Guest The Pom Queen
Couldn't agree more, Government Departments are famous for giving out differing information depending on who you speak to.

As already stated, we have spoke to someone high up and it is correct information as per my post below. :wubclub:

Guest The Pom Queen
Sorry, I meant Government Departments in general, any department.

No need to apologise, I know what you mean x

Guest Tony4052
Does anyone know how long it takes for the passport to be labelled and returned via post. I fly out in 3 weeks and need to get this done before I go.

Cheers

We had ours back within a week.....

Archived