Bank Accounts? set up here b4 you go or when u get there?

gparkes

Hi Guys,

What is recommended to do about bank accounts? First we were just going to keep our Lloyds acct open until we got out to melbourne and then try and open a new account over there, but i have just seen a post saying to do it b4 we go???

What has everyone else done about this?

Gail

Guest billy braveheart

Hi Gail

We opened a Westpac account online before we left the UK. When we arrived just went into westpac & validated the account very easy.

Janette

Hi Gail

We opened a Westpac account online before we left the UK. When we arrived just went into westpac & validated the account very easy.

Janette

The problem we have is that we are going to be in serviced appt's for 8 weeks until we can find our own place. so i have no australian address yet, what do you think?

Guest JoanneHattersley

we went into Commonwealth and all we had to show was our passport! We opened an account there and then , about 3 hours after landed. we still have our lloyds acct open in the UK

Guest billy braveheart

Hi

I would give your service address then change it when you move. Or failing that I see your going out on a 457 can you not use employers address but the service addtess should be fine.

Janette

we went into Commonwealth and all we had to show was our passport! We opened an account there and then , about 3 hours after landed. we still have our lloyds acct open in the UK

What is it like to get credit cards,car finance,mortgages ect over there with us not having a credit history?

I am going to take evidence with me from selling the house, settleing finance and credit card bills and closure letters stating we have nothing to pay, will these help us??

Guest JoanneHattersley
What is it like to get credit cards,car finance,mortgages ect over there with us not having a credit history?

I am going to take evidence with me from selling the house, settleing finance and credit card bills and closure letters stating we have nothing to pay, will these help us??

We got a credit card at the end of our first year but we could have had one sooner! The limit may be lower due to you having no credit history here but that will build up!

We got a mortgage on a 457 visa with Bank west. They are one of the few that take on "temp residents", Mortgages are better and easier to obtain once you have apermanent visa. If you put a big lump down as a deposit then you will possibly get a mortgage on a 457 from another bank.............not sure really.

Havent tried to get car finance!! cant help you there.

Where abouts are you? If you are in Brissie and are looking for amortgage our financial guys was great. PM me and I`ll pass on his details!

Archived