Snakes

crispysince70

Saw our first snake on Sunday when we went for a little walk on 7 mile beach. It was huge, black on the top and a burn orangey colour on the underneath. Talk about making my mum squeal!! She nearly threw me on top of it trying to get out of the way.:biglaugh:

And what an afternoon, it was sunny on the beach, but in the distance, their was thunder and lightening, it was really unusual, and you could see all the rain coming down in the distance.

Have been advised by many a local that it was probably a tiger snake

Chris x

Sounds very much like a Tiger snake. There are only 3 types of snake in Tasmania, the Tiger, the Copperhead and the Whip snake. Only one that this sounds like it could be is the Tiger as it can come in all sorts of colours and patterns, but the black with yellow/orange belly is particularly prevalent. I'd avoid it at all costs! :wink:

Sounds very much like a Tiger snake. There are only 3 types of snake in Tasmania, the Tiger, the Copperhead and the Whip snake. Only one that this sounds like it could be is the Tiger as it can come in all sorts of colours and patterns, but the black with yellow/orange belly is particularly prevalent. I'd avoid it at all costs! :wink:

Don't you worry, we definatley avoided it, but my daft hubbie, went back to take a pic.

Chris x

My grandad, in 2000, went to see my aunt in Perth and while out walking in a bit of bush they came across a snake. My grandad being an old time Irish MENTALIST thought it would be a good idea to pick it up. He grabbed it's tail and picked it up, holding it for a photo. When they showed the picture to the locals they were completely shocked and began to inform him it was a brown snake and was extremely dangerous! My grandad brushed it off as if it was nothing. He is a hero of mine! :laugh:

Thankfully, you aren't very likely to come across many snakes in Tassie!

Saw our first snake on Sunday when we went for a little walk on 7 mile beach. It was huge, black on the top and a burn orangey colour on the underneath. ....

Have been advised by many a local that it was probably a tiger snake

Chris x

Yes, sounds like a tiger snake. As Ayatollah said, it can be one of only 3 in Tassie.

Was it on the beach proper or in the dunes with all that long grass?

Although I live on the edge of bushland I've seen only one in the 22 years we've lived here. Fortunately the lovely Reptile Rescue man came to rescue me!:biggrin: But I did feel sorry for him: he'd been called from his sleep at 3 am that same morning to collect a snake from under someone's cooker in a house at 7 Mile Beach.

Eeek dreading stumbling across one. Is it right that the tiger snake is aggressive, as in it will actually chasse you rather than run away? I read the other day that that was the case. but who knows?

Im not to sure about the tiger snake but i do know the one eyed trouser snake will chase anything in a skirt..............

Im not to sure about the tiger snake but i do know the one eyed trouser snake will chase anything in a skirt..............

I have heard that is the case tonyman. I have heard they are easily controlled though if you just stamp on the head!!!!! :biglaugh:

Eeek dreading stumbling across one. Is it right that the tiger snake is aggressive, as in it will actually chasse you rather than run away? I read the other day that that was the case. but who knows?

No, they are normally quite shy and will try to get away. However, if one felt cornered or threatened it might strike. If you are in snake territory you just need to stick to cleared areas where you can see around you - no running through long grass - and give them a chance to get away if they are disturbed. They "hear" through vibrations in the ground so a bit of stomping doesn't go astray.

What is snake territory? Long grasses?

To be fair where I am in Cornwall we have lots (well less so now) of adders and I tell the kids to avoid grasses. I have a number of occasions stopped in grass, looked down and an inch from my foot is an adder

What is snake territory? Long grasses?

It can vary throughout Australia but probably in most places which are not highly urbanised.

Certainly in bushland, anywhere in the countryside etc. Just be aware of what is around you so that you don't accidentally tread on one or be very alert if you are lifting rocks, tree branches or anything under which they may be hiding.

Archived