Teaching on a Working Holiday Visa

Hockayak

Hi all,

Im a teacher in the UK, qualified and teaching for 5 years. We are thinking about a move to Oz for a 1 year period coming over on a Working Holiday Visa (WHV) that stipulates that you can only work in one job for 6 months at a time, therefore id need 2 jobs. An employee at the Aus embassy said that Australia or more specifically Tasmania created, or filled placements for teachers wishing to come to Oz on this 1 year WHV. I have done quite a bit of research and found the teaching specific requirments and hoops to jump through, no problem, but i cant find even a small trace of evidence to suggest that there is such a placement scheme operating in Aus or Tasmania.

My questions are these:

1) Has anyone else heard of such a placement scheme for people on WHV?

2) Does a teacher on the WHV still have to apply for the good character, teacher registration etc. that someone on a General Skilled Visa (GSV) would have to?

Having done so much research there isnt a nice simple, 'these are the things you need to do' for my situation, as im sure there isnt for lots of other people. This said, if anyone can offer some friendly advice to two complete newbies for both forum chats and migration/visa stuff:huh:, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Hockayak :cool:

Guest The Pom Queen

Welcome to the forum, I have only heard of the Educational Visa 418 could this be the one you are thinking of?

• 5 weeks later...

I think the working holiday visa is a visa basically for backpackers but i still need to do more research. A girl at the visa bureau suggested it as we are younger than 30. I believe it is only available to those under 30. Yes its a year, yes its only 6 month max in any one job but its a lot cheaper for someone like me who doesnt necessarily want to stay forever...but maybe i will!? Who knows?

P.s. thanks for your greeting, people on here seem nicer than forums on other subjects, electricals etc. :biggrin:

Hockayak

• 2 weeks later...
Guest keeblecourts

I was thinking of doing the same... Heard that potentially going over on a working holiday visa for a year might then stop you qualifying for a skilled visa should you want to stay at the end of the year... I think we are applying for a regional sponsored visa now.

Our friend arrived on a 457 visa in October 2011 (as a spouse) she has only just had approval through to teach in Australia. I don't know exactly what she had to do, but she had to send off all her qualifications and they looked very deeply into her background, even requested more information about the amount of 'supervised' hours teaching she did whilst at Uni. She's just recieved an ID card which will enable her to now look for a teaching job. So from start to finish it took her about 6 months!

I don't know whether this is possible on a WHV, you might be able to do all this before you leave for Australia and therefore you're all set up and ready to go when you get here.

Coming on a WHV doesn't stop you from applying for a permanent visa, so if you do decide you want to stay as long as you fit into a visa category it wont be a problem.

Teachers are not in short supply in Australia. It is unlikely that a school would want to take someone on for only six months and know that they would leave at the end of it. Mostly, schools want to take people on one year contracts and know that post holders will reapply as the year draws to a close.

Archived