ACT demerit points (drivers license)

sunniecat

So, we got picked up for speeding on what I consider to be one of Canberra's nastiest cameras - at least that I've found so far (it drops suddenly from 80 to 60, no warning, and the camera is about half a second later).

Paying the fine, obviously. Didn't hit the brakes fast enough, such is life.

It apparently also comes with a demerit point, however. Does anyone know if this applies when we don't yet have an ACT license/will be applied when we *get* an ACT license/will be applied to a UK license??

Nice welcome to Canberra :(

Guest The Pom Queen

You could try appealing, saying you are guilty and deeply sorry, blah, blah some have got away with it.

In regards to points afaik they will be added to your ACT License if you ever change over, if not then no they can't be added to your UK one.

okay thanks. we have to get ACT licenses, so I guess we'll just have to live with the point then. At least it's only 1! need to figure out who is better off taking it - we think hubs was driving, but car is in my name so they've currently assigned it to me... don't know if it makes any difference to insurance over here.

Guest The Pom Queen

If you do a search you will find quite a few people have done it on here and all have been let off with a slapped wrist.

okay thanks. we have to get ACT licenses, so I guess we'll just have to live with the point then. At least it's only 1! need to figure out who is better off taking it - we think hubs was driving, but car is in my name so they've currently assigned it to me... don't know if it makes any difference to insurance over here.

You need to be careful to make sure the point goes to the person who was driving. Fiddling the system by getting a spouse to accept the points can seriously damage a political career. Allegedly.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/mar/02/chris-huhne-vicky-pryce-court?newsfeed=true

You need to be careful to make sure the point goes to the person who was driving. Fiddling the system by getting a spouse to accept the points can seriously damage a political career. Allegedly.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/mar/02/chris-huhne-vicky-pryce-court?newsfeed=true

that's okay, I wasn't planning on having a political career :D

Most Canberrans (and I am not one of them!) seem to believe it is their God Given Right to appeal their first speeding fine (worked with many who have been most indignant and appealed) so if you decided to appeal you wouldnt be the first! At least with the fixed cameras you know where they are, it's the mobile little white van you want to watch out for (they are increasingly monitoring the 50kph rat runs these days and it is so easy to do 60 in the 50 zones!) Sorry you got pinged for that!

So, we got picked up for speeding on what I consider to be one of Canberra's nastiest cameras - at least that I've found so far (it drops suddenly from 80 to 60, no warning, and the camera is about half a second later).

Paying the fine, obviously. Didn't hit the brakes fast enough, such is life.

It apparently also comes with a demerit point, however. Does anyone know if this applies when we don't yet have an ACT license/will be applied when we *get* an ACT license/will be applied to a UK license??

Nice welcome to Canberra :(

You seriously need to get a GPS that warns you when you are coming up to a speed or red light camera. Like Quoll says the mobile units are a pain and pop up all over the place so keep an eye out for them. If you are driving along and see someone flash their lights at you they are probably warning you that one of the mobile units is up ahead.

You seriously need to get a GPS that warns you when you are coming up to a speed or red light camera. Like Quoll says the mobile units are a pain and pop up all over the place so keep an eye out for them. If you are driving along and see someone flash their lights at you they are probably warning you that one of the mobile units is up ahead.

Be careful if you are going to flash your lights warning others though - it is illegal (as in the UK actually) & the police will sometimes set up a speedtrap with one car and then have another un-marked one looking out for & booking well meaning motorists.

I also got a ticket on our 3rd day in Canberra, paid the fine on-line but attached an email apologising/explaining new in country/previous clear record etc & was cautioned instead - definately worth a go,

Best advice though is use cruise control set at the speed limit as much as you can, the red light cameras are also speed cameras to make sure you don't speed up to slip through on amber, they take a picture about 1/8th of a second after the lights turn red - if your in it - even just over the line & stopped you'll get a ticket (thats what I got booked for - $300 + 3 demerits)

Archived