moving to katherine

Guest Linz75

hi, iv been offered a job in katherine darwin and im looking to see if this is a good place to bring up my 3 kids. any advice will be greatly welcomed. im moving from the uk, so i need to be sure before i up sticks and take the plunge. many thanks folks. hope to get some feedback soon.x

Guest SupportPants

It's a 300km hop between Katherine and Darwin. Katherine is small remote and hot - with a high Indigenous population (can mean alcohol related issues). For some reason I remember speakers broadcasting public service messages along the high street. There are lovely national parks nearby, plenty of crocs (when the town floods in the wet crocodiles can be found in town!)

I think it would be an exciting adventure and not without some culture shock.

It's a 300km hop between Katherine and Darwin. Katherine is small remote and hot - with a high Indigenous population (can mean alcohol related issues). For some reason I remember speakers broadcasting public service messages along the high street. There are lovely national parks nearby, plenty of crocs (when the town floods in the wet crocodiles can be found in town!)

I think it would be an exciting adventure and not without some culture shock.

Have to agree with that and the fact that the next town west is Kununurra, WA, a 5 hour drive away. The Lower Level on the Katherine River, is a nice spot on the south side of town for a picnic or two. The world famous Katherine Gorge is only 15 km or so, upstream It is now known as Nitmiluk.

As far as shopping is concerned, it has a very good centre, commensurate with the size of the town ( about 10,000 people.)

Cannot help regards quality of schooling for your kids.

Cheers, Bobj.

Depends where you are moving from. If you are on struggle street in the UK, living in somewhere like Salford blocks of flats where you can't live in the first 3 or 4 floors (or as high as the idiots can throw a stone to break your windows) it may be worth it. If you have a nice life in a nice area I wouldn't even contemplate moving there with 3 kids.

There are lots of places I would move to in Oz, every major City and a lot of the smaller ones on the Coast would be preferable to most places in the UK, but Katherine wouldn't be on my list of places to settle.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Katherine is a truly grotty little town. You would be better in Alice Springs, whilst it is still isolated and has the same social problems as Katherine it has far more facilities and would be a much much better place for your kids.

And far more isolated!

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest Deborah Wakelin

Hi there

i lived Darwin for 9 months the drove from Darwin to Brisbane we broke down in Katherine, i could wait to get the oil leak fixed to get our of there.... there no way on earth i would bring my kids up there, go for a visit its an eye opener!!!! i lived with indigeous daily in Darwin not great for kids to see or us infact.

We lived in Darwin for just under 2 years and felt isolated so Katherin would be far worse. The indigenous population are a law to themselves, not something I wanted my 3 little kids growing up with. If it was me I would not move to Katherine with 3 kids, also the heat and the humidity in the NT is a killer as well as the mozzies and flies...lots of mosquito borne diseases up there too (Ross River and Dengue Fever).

Archived