Hiring car seats on landing

Hanbo24

You can but they are expensive. You are much better taking them into the cabin with you (as safety equipment so shouldn't be covered by baggage allowances - but check with the airline first) or send someone out in the hire car on arrival to the nearest Big W to pick up a couple of seats.

UK ones arent legal here so id hire 2 for a week, if your hiring a car they should sort you out at a reasonable cost. I9n the first week you can pick some up from the shops to suit your needs. Big W , Target etc all sell them so check if any have them on offer.

Cal x

Guest nikkidel

We used East Coast Car Rentals and they hired the car seats out fairly cheaply in comparison (I guess if you're going to Perth then that'd be no good for you), and they had a deal which was something like $5 per day and up to $30 per rental, and as we hired our car for three weeks and only paid $30 per seat for the whole three weeks, we thought that was a pretty good deal especially as we'd seen some on the internet which the various companies wanted $28-$30 PER DAY for!

I phoned the car company directly to discuss car seats and booked over the phone a week before we left the UK.

Oh, and as a previous poster has mentioned, your UK car seats will not be legal in Oz...we ended up leaving ours with my parents and will use them if we ever go back for a holiday.

Im glad this thread has been posted. I just assumed that car seats whether from the UK or somewhere else would be legal to use anywhere I didn't realise they weren't legal in Australia I was going to send one of my son's ahead to our friends as he has a Graco one & I thought I would be fine to use it

Guest nikkidel
Im glad this thread has been posted. I just assumed that car seats whether from the UK or somewhere else would be legal to use anywhere I didn't realise they weren't legal in Australia I was going to send one of my son's ahead to our friends as he has a Graco one & I thought I would be fine to use it

There is a sticky somewhere - I think it's called Car Seats in Australia...let me see if I can find the link for you.

Guest nikkidel

There is a sticky somewhere - I think it's called Car Seats in Australia...let me see if I can find the link for you.

Ok, here it is...

Car seats in Australia - What you need to know

and as we hired our car for three weeks and only paid $30 per seat for the whole three weeks, we thought that was a pretty good deal

May be good compared with other rental companies but the OP has 4 and 5 year olds. They can use booster cushions available at $40 a pop in Big W. Hire car companies charge a lot for loaning you an expensive version that you don't need.

May be good compared with other rental companies but the OP has 4 and 5 year olds. They can use booster cushions available at $40 a pop in Big W. Hire car companies charge a lot for loaning you an expensive version that you don't need.

Booster cushions are being phased out. Many of the big companies no longer make them. Safety reasons and all that.

Long term till no longer needing a car seat it is better to invest in a proper high back car seat. And safer.

I'm taking my 2 maxi cosi riders out with me as extra baggage in 2 weeks time. I know they are not legal in Oz, but I feel they are perfectly safe here as we use them everyday here for the kids. I don't think the police are going to be stopping us to check car seats. If we have a crash? Well it would have the same outcome as if we had a crash here!

We are going out for a reccie and to get visas stamped. If this was a permanent move then I would buy 2 new seats out there, and get my mate to bring them to the airport for immdeiate use.

I gave my mate in Melbourne my maxi cosi first car seat from birth to 9 months and loved using it as she hated using the baby capsules that were legal in Oz.

I'm taking my 2 maxi cosi riders out with me as extra baggage in 2 weeks time. I know they are not legal in Oz, but I feel they are perfectly safe here as we use them everyday here for the kids. I don't think the police are going to be stopping us to check car seats. If we have a crash? Well it would have the same outcome as if we had a crash here!

We are going out for a reccie and to get visas stamped. If this was a permanent move then I would buy 2 new seats out there, and get my mate to bring them to the airport for immdeiate use.

I gave my mate in Melbourne my maxi cosi first car seat from birth to 9 months and loved using it as she hated using the baby capsules that were legal in Oz.

I think its more of an issue with your insurance being void if you did have a crash and it was noticed that they werent Aussie ones with the kite mark.

Cal x

Guest nikkidel

I have a 3 and a 5 yr old, and we were given high backed chairs for them both...

And now that we've bought our own we still have high backed chairs for them both, which will come apart and turn into the little booster seats when they're ready, but to be honest the chairs we've got them will fit them for a long time yet.

I've been advised that you are allowed to use your UK car seats for up to 3 months:

"If you are on holiday for up to 3 months you can use a car seat that meets

another standard, however the seat you use cannot be sold in Australia."

(source: Child Restraint Technician, NZ Child Restraints)

Perhaps this will be of use to someone who wants to use their UK car seat until they get settled.

• 2 weeks later...
hi

when we went on our visit to Tasmania we took Britax car seat with us which we are told met Aus safety regulations so thats what we will do agian. we will tale them on the plane to strap our lttle ones or the wont stay still

Unless you car seat is an Aus approved with the Aus yellow (iirc) sticker on it, then no it doesn't meet Aus safety regulations. You were misinformed. It also won't have a top tether fitting probably which is what the Aus system uses to install car seats, along with a seatbelt. A car seat sold in the UK and passed to UK/EU regulations isn't legal in Aus as it isn't passed and tested there.

Fair enough if you choose to take it and use it, but please don't think it is legal to use. This thread might help explain the differences and the safety regs being different etc. http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/123214-car-seats-australia-what-you-need-know.html

Britax don't sell in Aus either, not as Britax. Their Aus division is called Safe n Sound and the car seats they sell meet Aus standards, not the UK/EU ones that Britax does.

Archived