Getting kids into primary schools in QLD

nic0218

Hi there,

Anyone had experience of getting their kids a primary school place in a QLD school? Do you apply centrally, as we do in the UK, Or do you apply directly to the school? I'm assuming that if it's the latter, there's waiting lists for the good schools?!

Any replies about your experiences would be gratefully received!!

For state schools, it seems that you will get in as long as you are in the catchment area. Some schools are enrolment managed so very strict about making sure you live in the catchment.

For private schools I have heard there can be long waiting lists.

Which area are you heading to?

You apply direct to the school. Some schools have strict catchment areas but as long as you are in that area you are guaranteed a place. Other schools don't have that catchment; they are the ones with plenty of spaces to fill generally.

I enrolled from the UK. We secured a rental so I just looked up online what school was near me and checked the catchment map. I saw I was in it, so I emailed the school and got nothing back. So I called them and the admin lady was very nice. Just asked what street I was in to check I was in their catchment then emailed me the form. I completed it and scanned it, scanned my daughters passport (she is an Aussie by descent) and also scanned our Lease to prove address and sent it off. She emailed me back overnight saying all set and enrolled

fairly easy. The hardest part is getting the address! If you fall within their catchment they have to accept you. Its not like the UK where its a big lottery

All government schools have catchment areas - many will only accept kids from that catchment - they are obliged to find a place - others (and you have to wonder why) may be a bit more flexible! Just get your house sorted then rock up to the local school with your passport (evidence of age and visa), something which attests to your permanent address and your kids' vaccination records and they can (in theory) start there and then but schools usually like a day or two to get things organized for them (class placement, extra desks, electives etc).

As others have suggested, it's very easy!! You can rock up to the school one day and your children could start the next day!

If there is a particular school you are interested in, it's worth emailing them and checking out how strict they are on their catchment area. If they are strict you will have to have proof of address to enrol your child into that school - which obviously means waiting until you find a rental in that area and producing your rental agreement.

Love

Rudi

x

Thanks to everyone for your replies. We're thinking of heading to the Yeppoon area, as my brother has advised not to touch Rockhampton!! We're also going on a reccie visit in Feb, so we'll check out the local schools and enquire into the catchment areas.

Many thanks again to everyone who replied!

• 2 weeks later...

Very different to the UK - my wife and I were over there visiting schools (primary) in Sept 11 - we are looking to move to Buderim or surround so visited 4 different ones dotted all around there and each one said exactly the same thing i.e. We are no where near getting to the stage where capacity would be a problem so yes as another poster said - just rock up and join in. I almost had to stop myself laughing when I asked how much 'noticed' they would need and the Head Teacher replied - Well, it would be good if you could give a weeks notice but if thats not possible then not to worry!!!

Archived