Prescriptions

TheGrahams

The whole medicare and health costs thing gives me a headache and no matter how much I read, I still can't get my head around it! even when we lived there last time I still can't work it out!

So can someone just tell me: My son has asthma and is prescribed 3 inhalers a month, will we have to pay for them in Aus? If so anyone know how much?

He doesn't use that many at all, so I am thinking is it worth stockpiling them if we would have to pay!

Yes you will have to pay for them. The cost you will pay will depend on how much they are subsidized by the pharmaceutical benefits schemes, PBS. I think the maximum for a script is about $30 something. I will look for a link now and post it if I can find it. The other issue you will have is they will all be separate scripts so you will have to pay for each one individually.

Guest Guest31881

Hi,

yes you pay for scripts but you will find that Salbutamol (Ventolin) is available over the counter at about $5 to $6 per inhaler so no prescription for that one. I have put the link below to Chemist warehouse who are the cheaper chemists and you can check the prices of other stuff on there. They also do a on line order service that may be worth looking at depending on how many scripts you need filling. Maximum price for a script is $35.40 but depends on cost of medication can be cheaper.

http://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/

http://www.healthinsite.gov.au/topics/Pharmaceutical_Benefits_Scheme

http://www.pbs.gov.au/pbs/consumer/browseby/product

These two sites will give you all the information about the drugs you need.

There are differences between countries so you need to check that the drug you are taking is available here in Aus and if not what an alternative would be. All medicines are available but only some are subsidised.

For example I was taking a medication which cost me forty four dollars a month as it was not fully funded.

My mother is in a drug trial and getting free drugs at present but when the trial ends the drug may not be put on the pbs so she will be required to pay thirty five dollars a week to stay on the drug.

Diabetics are given six months supply of insulin on one prescription i e say the price is $34.00 it would be $34 for six months, they have to be registered as a diabetic on the National Diabetic Scheme.

Ventolin is the only over the counter asthma med the others are all prescription drugs.

Before I retired my bill each month at the chemist for the drugs I take was $130.00.

There is a cap on how much a family pays per year for prescriptions and when the family reaches that cap then the prescriptions are basically free but there are some which have a few little charges even then as I found out.

My mother is in a drug trial and getting free drugs at present but when the trial ends the drug may not be put on the pbs so she will be required to pay thirty five dollars a week to stay on the drug.

This contravenes global protocols on drug trials - which state clearly that the drug company must be prepared to fund ongoing supply of the drug to trial patients after the trial ends for as long as the patient is deriving benefit from it.

Guest Calliope

Ventolin is over the counter here. I pay $15 per inhaler. There is a generic brand (identical, in my experience) for about $10. You can also get them on prescription - same price, but once you have spent a certain amount per year, you get the rest at a reduced price.

3 inhalers a month sounds like an awful lot - if you are able to stockpile them, what are you doing with those extra ones now?

Guest Guest31881
Ventolin is over the counter here. I pay $15 per inhaler.

Do you have a Chemist warehouse near you? they charge $5.99 that's a good saving if you buy them regularly. They do mail order but with delivery it may not be worth it.

This contravenes global protocols on drug trials - which state clearly that the drug company must be prepared to fund ongoing supply of the drug to trial patients after the trial ends for as long as the patient is deriving benefit from it.

Not what her doc told her. The gov is not keen on funding the drug because its going to cost the gov a lot of money. Been in the news recently. Pradaxa. Its not a trial of a new drug just a trial of the drug in Australia to satisfy the PBS

Guest Guest31881
Not what her doc told her. The gov is not keen on funding the drug because its going to cost the gov a lot of money. Been in the news recently. Pradaxa. Its not a trial of a new drug just a trial of the drug in Australia to satisfy the PBS

I was offered the drug... Free until June this year then they hope it will go onto the PBS list. if not you have a choice. either pay privately for it, ($130 I think) or go back onto Warfarin

Section 14 of the Declaration of Helsinki says: "the [study] protocol should describe arrangements for post-study access by study subjects to interventions identified as beneficial in the study or access to other appropriate care or benefits."

http://www.wma.net/en/30publications/10policies/b3/index.html

I would be surprised if the study got ethical approval if patients who benefited from the drug were going to be bumped off it at the end of the study.

Section 14 of the Declaration of Helsinki says: "the [study] protocol should describe arrangements for post-study access by study subjects to interventions identified as beneficial in the study or access to other appropriate care or benefits."

I would be surprised if the study got ethical approval if patients who benefited from the drug were going to be bumped off it at the end of the study.

I think they were saying it's not a drug trial per-se, but a trial of an already tested drug to see if it can go on PBS.

To the OP, I pay just over $18 for a months' supply of medication.

Thanks for all your info.

He does not need 3 a month, but they quite happily throw inhalers at you here! He has a script for 3 a month (2 ventolin and one steroid), but we rarely collect them as he uses probably that every 6 months! However as we don't know how Aus will affect his asthma I am thinking I will stockpile a few to make sure.

Will also have a chat to GP to see what alternative to his steriod one, as that doesn't seem to be avaliable in AUs.

Guest Guest31881

Its not a drug trial..... This is established medication that they are attempting to get onto the PBS list, so company providing free until June.... You can buy it from the chemist under a private prescription for $130 a month.....

Guest Guest31881
Thanks for all your info.

Will also have a chat to GP to see what alternative to his steriod one, as that doesn't seem to be avaliable in AUs.

It will probably be available under another name, a couple of my meds were different but the doc here soon sorted out the Australian version...

Guest Guest31881

Prescriptions cost $35.40 maximum for items on PBS. You will get a prescription for one months supply and possible a set of repeat prescriptions so you only have to visit the doctor when the repeats run out, I get the prescription and 5 repeats for most of my drugs and that is 6 months supply. per visit.

Guest Calliope

Google the active ingredient (eg budesonide in Pulmicort) and you might well find the same thing is available in Australia under a different name.

I find over the counter ventolin a huge relief. It means if I'm out and have forgotten it, I can just go to the chemist!!

Archived