Fossicking Around Australia

Bobj

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is not nice if someone stole it from you.

Sadly, mate, it happens sometimes. Still, I have lots of good specimens of other minerals to look at.:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

PS. Any time you want to ask about specimens, just get on the computer, hey? Only too happy to help you.

Guest The Pom Queen
Some of my amethyst collection. All found by me in Western Australia, none swapped.

2112012002.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

Wow Bob they are stunning. Little one isn't here but I can get he will be impressed when he gets back

A few more bits and pieces

Topaz, 2 on the right are 50 carats each from Glen Innes area NSW, 3rd is 74 carats from Mt. Surprise, Qld

2112012003.jpg

A piece of emerald from Roebourne, WA.

2112012004.jpg

And the other side of the big opal shown earlier.

2112012005.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

What's the rules with fossicking? If you find something, do you have to declare it/give the Government half its value or anything, or is it just finders keepers in Oz?

I'm interested in doing some poking around whilst we're on the road, just for fun rather than the unlikely dream of making our millions lol, but don't want to come a cropper of any laws etc...

Amazing finds, lots of work looks like it went into that collection btw :)

Guest The Pom Queen
What's the rules with fossicking? If you find something, do you have to declare it/give the Government half its value or anything, or is it just finders keepers in Oz?

I'm interested in doing some poking around whilst we're on the road, just for fun rather than the unlikely dream of making our millions lol, but don't want to come a cropper of any laws etc...

Amazing finds, lots of work looks like it went into that collection btw :)

I think all states you have to have a fossicking license, for example the Queensland one was $41.80 for 12 months take a peak here as well http://mines.industry.qld.gov.au/mining/fossicking.htm

Guest AKA63029

Thanks for this thread Bob. As you know trying to get into the old detecting hobby.

Would love to have some of the examples you have mate, still, plenty of time I guess. When we get back out there myself and Ruth have plans to do a bit of gold detection. Take a few months in likely areas and give it a go.

May never find anything, but still the anticipation I bet gets the old juices flowing.

Would love to find anything, from old mining tools, semi and precious stones to this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11623[/ATTACH]

Guest Guest31881

I believe that if you just want to use a metal detector to go beach-combing you do not need a license. I believe ( could be wrong) the Fossicking licence is purely for gemstones, precious ore and similar items.

Guest AKA63029

Hi Bob.

Have read recently that some areas in OZ do not allow metal/gold detectors. Is this because it is classed as to 'easy' to find something with the aid of technology, or is it a case of red tape or not the 'done' thing etc?

Cheers Tony.

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi Bob.

Have read recently that some areas in OZ do not allow metal/gold detectors. Is this because it is classed as to 'easy' to find something with the aid of technology, or is it a case of red tape or not the 'done' thing etc?

Cheers Tony.

I know when we went to Maytown you weren't allowed and same with Stannery Hills (sp) I think this is because they are trying to keep it intact the best they can. I suppose if they allowed it everyone would be digging up all the ruins etc, I may be wrong.

I remember when we went in to the Miners Den to buy the middle child his metal detector he was also telling us that a lot of companies have bought mining rights over some parts of the outback so these were places that we couldn't go.

Guest AKA63029
I know when we went to Maytown you weren't allowed and same with Stannery Hills (sp) I think this is because they are trying to keep it intact the best they can. I suppose if they allowed it everyone would be digging up all the ruins etc, I may be wrong.

I remember when we went in to the Miners Den to buy the middle child his metal detector he was also telling us that a lot of companies have bought mining rights over some parts of the outback so these were places that we couldn't go.

Cheers Kate.

I guess that all makes sense. But I have been looking into this for a wee while since we decided to come back. I've been looking at areas, detectors and pestering Bob no end.:embarrassed:

And in all honesty we are planning on taking some time out and going outback to have a detect or two. Just need to make sure I play by the rules, licences, land rights and the like.

Was looking the other day at the best detectors out there, and came up with this. Apparently it is the dogs ........., but some how I think I will be starting with something more in line with my budget.:laugh:

http://www.minelab.com/emea/products/gold-detectors/gpx-5000

ONLY $6,500,:elvis:

Guest AKA63029

Bearing in mind the latest gold prices (Aussie dollar) are nearly $1,600 (ounce) and $52 (gram) even the smallest finds could pay for the hobby itself in several months, and of course 'if' the detection was taken seriously I guess, and of course you always stand a chance of finding a real biggy.

Cheers Tony.

Guest AKA63029
I believe that if you just want to use a metal detector to go beach-combing you do not need a license. I believe ( could be wrong) the Fossicking licence is purely for gemstones, precious ore and similar items.

I've often thought of doing a bit of detecting on the beaches here Colin. I reckon I'll find a lot more here than OZ as whenever I rock up at a beach here most are still dressed in woolies and trousers with pockets (more to fall out) because of the British Summer.:laugh:

Guest The Pom Queen
Cheers Kate.

I guess that all makes sense. But I have been looking into this for a wee while since we decided to come back. I've been looking at areas, detectors and pestering Bob no end.:embarrassed:

And in all honesty we are planning on taking some time out and going outback to have a detect or two. Just need to make sure I play by the rules, licences, land rights and the like.

Was looking the other day at the best detectors out there, and came up with this. Apparently it is the dogs ........., but some how I think I will be starting with something more in line with my budget.:laugh:

http://www.minelab.com/emea/products/gold-detectors/gpx-5000

ONLY $6,500,:elvis:

We saw these Tony, we said no way, the little one got a cheap one and the middle one got, well I suppose it is cheap to these standards but it was just over $500.

We go to this shop http://www.nqminersden.com

Guest TheArmChairDetective

What a brilliant thread.

I wouldn't mind getting some of these stones in my sandblaster and making something of them but I suspect you take them to some type of assay office and sell them.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Sunstone from NE of The Alice

Picture299.jpg

Quartz crystal from The Pilbara, WA.

Picture307.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest AKA63029
We saw these Tony, we said no way, the little one got a cheap one and the middle one got, well I suppose it is cheap to these standards but it was just over $500.

Thanks for that Kate.

I am online asap as they seem to have some great books about it as well, and ones I couldn't find here.:notworthy:

Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks for that Kate.

I am online asap as they seem to have some great books about it as well, and ones I couldn't find here.:notworthy:

The kids have a couple you can borrow as they don't bother reading them, it may help if they did as all the middle one has found is a screw, pmsl x

Guest The Pom Queen

That's just reminded me do any of you have a rock polisher (not even sure if that's what it's called) the youngest wants one but I'm not sure if it's worth it to be honest, especially when I can head up to Crystal Caves and buy him a gem up there, yes I know it's not the same but he wouldn't know would he if he suddenly found a lovely polished stone in the back garden..... damn I forgot he has signed up to this thread, need to think of a Plan B now.

Guest AKA63029

Tell you what Kate. When I get out there I may 'borrow' your kids and take them 'outback' with me. I can be the foreman of works and tell them where to detect whilst I have my feet up at the campfire.

I'm not sure they will be happy with a 90/10 split on all finds though, :laugh:

Guest The Pom Queen
Tell you what Kate. When I get out there I may 'borrow' your kids and take them 'outback' with me. I can be the foreman of works and tell them where to detect whilst I have my feet up at the campfire.

I'm not sure they will be happy with a 90/10 split on all finds though, :laugh:

Like hell, you aren't borrowing my kids, you can have them but you aint bringing them back :mad::laugh:

Exactly! It is to preserve the past. Imagine all the little mullock heaps strewn around 'cos Fred and Doris pinged up a lump of rusty fencing wire...Sadly, not too many metal detectorists replace their dirt.

Digging for sapphires in NSW, I had dug 2 ft into "pristine" ground, only to find the ubiquitous soft drink can!

Cheers, Bobj.

Bearing in mind the latest gold prices (Aussie dollar) are nearly $1,600 (ounce) and $52 (gram) even the smallest finds could pay for the hobby itself in several months, and of course 'if' the detection was taken seriously I guess, and of course you always stand a chance of finding a real biggy.

Cheers Tony.

Good to see that you have used the TROY ounce...clap.gif

Cheers, Bobj.