Attitude on Tattoos?

sazgeering

Skani - yeah, I was thinking that it might be a problem over here too - but I might just find alternative work, I'm not sure how much longer I wish to be working in teaching for - I would like to stay working with children, but perhaps not in the same role.

You'd be a great hit as a youth (social) worker!

If I did tattooing from home I'd be risking alot if its that bad out there. Is it generally bad with gangs on a day-to-day basis, or is it just the tattoo industry?

I think the gangs control a lot of the illegal drug trade. But most people don't have any contact with them. Maybe in the rougher areas of the larger cities but you could spend your whole life here and be completely oblivious to them.

In Australia there is a subtle difference between a "biker" and a "bikie": a biker being a motorcycle enthusiast and a bikie being a member of a gang. That's the way it seems to me, anyway.

Hey Skani - I would love to retrain as a youth worker or a community support worker - something along those lines appeal to me!

I would be a biker out in Oz - I would be here still, but sold my bike a couple of years ago! Booo!!! Looking forward to some good biking weather out there!

I might have to weigh up my choices for out there then, if I can't become a tattooist for those reasons - I suppose it would depend on the area we moved to! Time will tell!

I have the same kind of concern being in the same situation as you (except I don't want to become a tattoist).

So thanks for the thread.

Hi guys - what is Oz like with tattoos?

I'm a teacher and have a couple of visible tattoos, but I would like more - none are offensive (eg. naked women or swear words, or the like), but I am concerned if I get out there and theres loads of restrictions written into my contract or something!

I am training to be a tattoist, so eventually I would like to start my own business out in Perth area - so anyone who could give me any advice or insight into the attitudes towards tattoos would be great!

Hey Cedric - what do you do?

By the sounds of it having tatts doesn't seem to be an issue over in Oz, so hopefully we'll both be fine!

My pin-up designs will have like evening gowns on and only show stockings - but I still think these might be questionable in the job I'm going for! Theres not really any way to find out before hand either!

I think the gangs control a lot of the illegal drug trade. But most people don't have any contact with them. Maybe in the rougher areas of the larger cities but you could spend your whole life here and be completely oblivious to them.

In Australia there is a subtle difference between a "biker" and a "bikie": a biker being a motorcycle enthusiast and a bikie being a member of a gang. That's the way it seems to me, anyway.

Yeah being a bike enthusiast or a "Biker" is not the same as a "bikie".

A lot of Bikies are not that interested in bikes but more interested in the gang & guns and the fact that bikie gangs in Australia have a bad reputation make it more of a cover for organised crime mostly drugs.

Most people would have no bother from Bikie gangs unless you were involved in some sort of common 'business'.

I'm not saying that all Tattoo shops are run by bikie's as there are definitely Non-Bikie tattooists out there but from what I have heard is that those tattooist's are offered an 'insurance policy' by bikie gangs that other gangs won't shake them down or that no fire or damage might 'accidentally occur' also I would imagine if the bikies had a shop in a particular area they wouldn't really like any competition in that area.

Oh thats not good with the "bikies" - anyone know how bad this is in Perth area? I wanted to set up from home, but not if someones going to torch my house!

Love the "Teacher rules" post - hilarious!

I've got 10 tattoos, mostly hidden, but I've got 2 more planned for my legs which are pin-up ladies, so perhaps a little "riskaay"! I have been questionning whether to get them, but I think I'll just go ahead - I hate the idea of changing my designs to fall-in with other peoples rules, etc.

Hey Sazgeering

I'm a copper here in the UK and have a full sleeve on one arm and several tattoos elsewhere about my person. I'm hoping to transfer to the WA police when emigrate in May and have researched with friends I have over there. One friend even told me he worked with a guy in the police who had a spider web tattooed on his face! So I think you'd be ok...

Also I'd be interested in learning the trade of tattooing if you need an apprentice??!

Our closest tattooist is in Port Kennedy and its got a three month waiting list. Its huge bright clean and airy. My OH has tattoos, lots and it is normal but he works with an idiot who got tattoo's on his lower arms, with swear words on them, and his boss has demanded that he wear long sleeves throughout the summer as he does have to associate with customers. As Ali says it may depend where you end up.

Yeah being a bike enthusiast or a "Biker" is not the same as a "bikie".

A lot of Bikies are not that interested in bikes but more interested in the gang & guns

Yes, I'd agree with that. They all ride Harleys and their main interest is their "tough guy" image.

My husband was a mad keen bikER, as were most of his friends - but not one of them ever owned a Harley.:wubclub:

• 3 months later...

All I would say is that my dad had tatts on his forearms during his National Service and boy do they look rubbish now that his skin is older and they are faded. I wonder just how many people consider this when they have them done.

Hey Bungeeman - I'm only starting out myself with tattooing, so I'm afraid I can't help!

Spiderweb tattoo on face for a copper sounds quite extreme!!!

I might be changing my career out there anyway - so perhaps it won't be such a big problem - we'll see - hoping to speak to a couple of people when I come out in July about jobs, I'll enquire then about it!

"so what you going to do about you tattoos when your older"?

"Im going to grow an epic beard and hang out with other old tattooed guys and generally look awesome"!

"what are you gonna do ? Look like every other old f*cker?"

Archived