Good places to take the kids for days out

stuart lawson

Guest jubbsy

We've been to both Melbourne Zoo and Werribee open Zoo. Both fab but a bit expensive ($25.40 per adult) BUT we signed up for Zoo membership ($88 and $77 for 2 adults) and it gives us free entry for a year. It includes Healesville (or something) and also other Zoos like Taronga in Sydney. Think it's great value for a year and we've already had our moneys worth :)

I agree with what you said about the Adventure Park.... We were there on the same day as you, mare!!!!

Sovereign Hill is supposed to be good.

There are a few things in Bendigo, such as the Debroah Gold MIne, golden dragoon museum.....haven't been in them myself, but everyone recommends them to us, could be worth a look, only a couple of hours from Melbourne.

Sarah

Sovereign Hill is a good day out and the kids loved it but it is also expensive. There is a tendency for attractions to ask for extra money even once you have paid to go in - so the [excellent] underground shows cost extra; a bag of sand with guaranteed gold dust costs extra; a 2 minute ride in a stagecoach costs extra, etc. Many of the "old" buildings are shops - hence more retail opportunity. Drinks were just under $5 a pop.

On the other hand, if you sign up as a friend of Sovereign Hill on Facebook, you can get some discount vouchers.

I'm not sure how old your kids are, but a good freebie for under 8's is the children's garden at the Royal Botanical Gardens. Loads to do: water shooting out of the ground, little streams that wind their way around, rocks to climb, a bamboo forest to hide in, a vegetable garden to poke around in. And for the adults, a cafe with good coffee nearby. We go all the time and it never gets old.

We went to aquarium a lot. Bought a year family ticket it only took two visits to get our monies worth. They have a great penguin area and change things around quite regularly. We used to park at Harbour town ( cheap parking) and then caught the free brown tram and got off just outside the aquarium. Kids loved it.

From one of the above posts healsville sanctuary is a nice day out, it has a huge jumping pillow which is absolutely hysterical. It's part of the zoo package if you get the membership.

Lillydale lake is not bad. Picnic, bike rides, park etc.

The puffing billy was a nice day out although a bit expensive.

Didn't get there but sky high, mount dandenong. Noticed they had lots of kids events on during Easter etc.

This website is great for reviewing parks and other kids activities

http://www.melbourneplaygrounds.com.au/

We had a great few ads away on the ocean road. Stayed at Apollo bay and Lorne spent most of the time messing around on the beaches, rock pooling, saw lots of wild koala's. great time.

Botanical gardens - Great day, take a change of clothes so kids can get wet in the water spurters

Bundoora Park - Great playgrounds & BBQ areas. Further into the park there is the animal centre - feed lambs/goats, tractor ride through kangaroos etc, brilliant day out.

Boat rides down the Yarra over to the Docklands

Movie nights at Docklands, take a blanket, picnic and drinks :)

Check out whats going on at Federation Square

Weekly farmers markets

DO NOT MISS MOOMBA festival 2012, this is a brilliant day out for all the family

In fact, always check out the website 'Thats Melbourne' for festivals and other stuff going on

Melbourne Museum, great interactive areas

Mornington Peninsula - great things to do down there..... strawberry farm, vineyards, beaches,

Puffing Billy

The list is endless in Melbourne!

i agree with waterpark, my son went with school last year and said the same thing... (but he is a bit spoilt as been to Florida a few times in the past).

Try looking on www.kidspot.com.au under things to do, or in the directory there is a section for family activities and fun.! I would recommend Sovereing Hill, Ballarat Wildlife park (where you can feed the kangas) Cooks Cottage, Arthurs Maze, Sky high Mount Dandenong, the beaches on the Peninsula (both of them), Collingwood Childrens farm... etc etc etc.

Good luck exploring.

Took the kids to Adventure Land Geelong yesterday & to be honest thought it was a bit crap.

I no it was a bank holiday but the parks to small for the amount of people they let in & the facilities are poor.

Wont go on to much but please post your recommends on here.

Apparently there is a fairyland attraction place out West about an hour from Melbourne, we were recommended this the other day whilst in the tourist info place at Williamstown. Can't recall exact details!

Guest The Pom Queen
Apparently there is a fairyland attraction place out West about an hour from Melbourne, we were recommended this the other day whilst in the tourist info place at Williamstown. Can't recall exact details!

Yes this http://www.fairypark.com in Anakie I've never been though

Archived