12 hour layover at singapore with children-HELP!!!!

Libbysmummy

I've never flown long haul neither have the kids, i've read bits on here but so much to do my heads frazzeled:arghh:Just need a little help:notworthy:

-From what i've read i believe the suitcases will remain with the airline! So i'll keep hold of hand luggage, but i've noticed there alot of shops if i buy stuff will my hand luggage be weighed again when we check in for the next leg?

-Any suggestions for keeping the kids happy for 12 hours?

-I believe there are showes you can pay to use, so i wont bother putting in shower gel etc as its inc with shower!

-any advice what to carry in hand luggage? OH wants to pack a change of clothes for landing in brisbane, so summer clothes but not sure what temp will be in airport?

-what currency do i need at airport or should i use my bank card?

There probably silly questions but my minds on overdrive at the moment and they'll be more to come....

many thanks

x x x

- I've never ever had my hand luggage weighed at any airpoer. If you buy heaps in the airport and it looks obvious, you might get pulled up.

- There is loads of free stuff to do at Singapore airport (butterfly gardens, swimming pools, cinema - alll free). You can also get a tourist bus into the city. http://www.changiairport.com/at-changi/facilities-and-services

- I think it is $10 (Singapore Dollars) to use the shower, you might be better off getting a hotel room if you all want one - the transit hotel is dirt cheap.

- Singapore is a tropical country, the airport is airconditioned but it is hot and sticky outside. I tend to travel in shorts and trainers from London and just change t-shirt and underwear at Singapore.

- I tend just to use my normal bank card - or withdraw a few dollars from an ATM from the airport.

Hope this helps.

Hey there

Singapore Airport has everything

You will be able to find showers and quiet areas if needed. The airport is vast and it depends on the terminal in which you find yourself. .There are play areas and plenty of free internet everywhere. Lots of things for the kids to see and do, 24 hours cinemas, gardens, science exhibits and even a swimming pool.

You can use British pounds, Euros, Singapore dollars etc.

I would look it all up on the airport website and make a list of possibilities because the airport is too big to wander aimlessly with kids. I have done that one before :confused:

Good luck

Millie x

Hi Libbysmummy

At the top of Terminal 1 there is an open air swimming pool. This is in the transit side of the airport (as most facilities are). This terminal is easily accessible from the other terminals on the Skytrain (transit train from one terminal to another).

You pay $14 for entry and this includes a free drink. You are given a towel and you can lounge around, have a swim, lay on your back and enjoy a Singapore Sling, and take a shower afterwards. There is also a gym adjacent. So don't forget to take a plastic bag for your wet swimming gear!

Entry to the pool is free (I think) if you book a room at the transit hotel in that terminal (it's part of the hotel).

We've stayed at the transit hotel and with kids it would be useful, because they may want a nap, and you've got quite a long time to waste.

Apart from the pool there is lots to do in the airport.

However, I agree if you wanted to go into Singapore this would be good. If you go into Singapore itself, with kids I would recommend a boat trip around the harbour from Clarke Quay. If you are there when it is dark, the Night Zoo is an absolute must.

An alternative is to get a taxi into Changhi Village which is just near the airport. You can have a walk around the edge of the estuary there - and there are plenty of interesting restaurants and things to look at. Locals might know better but it may be possible to have a swim from the beach there - the sea is very calm.

Also bear in mind that 12 hours layover is not actually going to be 12 hours. By the time you've allowed for taxiing to the terminal, getting off the plane, walking from the gate and the same in reverse (arriving at the departure gate well in time) it will be down to 10½ already.

I'm with Roger - get out of the airport, onto the MRT and into town. Just head for Chinatown or Little India and wander - plenty for kids to see and great hawker food. The MRT is cheap and reliable so easy to get back to the airport - although with lots of you then taxis may be sensible.

With 12 hours there, I would definitely head out of the airport and enjoy yourself! I would jump into a taxi (they are cheap to use) and head to the zoo. It's fun for the kids and there's a water play area to cool down in as well.

Love

Rudi

x