What dates do schools in OZ use for children?

mapster

Hi

My son just asked would he still be in the same year at school in OZ as in the UK or do they have differant dates for births as their summer is differant to ours..................Hmmmm not thought about that.

Any ideas?

My son is born 14-10-97 so is in year 9 here in the UK and is one of the oldest children in the year. Would it still be the same in OZ?

My daughter is 22-5-01 and is in year 6 here in the UK.....

Guest tandcmum

my kids will go into a year below their current one when we move. My son is in p6 at the moment, but when we go over in the next few months he will be in grade 5, however he will still be in a class with similar age children. Each state seems to do it differently with different birthdates for starting school, i know qld and wa have calculators in their ediucation websites.

The strangest thing for my kids is that here in scotland my eldest would start high school in august 2013, however in qld he won't go to high school until january 2015, however my youngest will go up to high school a year after her brother as they are changing the age kids start high school in QLD

Guest tandcmum
Thanks all a bit confusing!!

i know it is, and looking at it again it seems my eldest may end upbeing 3 school years ahead of my youngest, not two as they are now, and there is more or less 2 years between them age wise

I guess we will see when we get there

As Quoll says - best to start afresh. For a start, schools in Australia only go up to Year 12, not Year 13, so the labels are different. Kids do an extra year at primary school in Australia (well, certainly in Victoria) and it is pretty fluid about which years kids go into when they move in from overseas. Schools will try to match up for age, progress in school to date and parental preferences. But bear in mind that it is never good to be the youngest child in a class.

Guest tandcmum

I'm more than happy to go with the flow as long as the kids are in appropriate age groups and happy. at the moment being oct/nov birthdays they are actually youngest in the their clases (its a weird system up here in Scotland compred to england) and whilst that doesn't cause problems for my eldest my youngest i now wish i had held back year as she is nowhere near as mature as the other girls in her class.

Archived