Contributory Parent Visa: How soon can parents apply?

K8kte

My husband and I are in the very late stages of acquiring our 176 pr visa. It is my parents intention (as luckily they have the funds available) to join us once they acquire the CPV.

My question is as follows, am I right in thinking that as long as we have been there working for 12mths+ that they can then apply as long as they know someone who would be willing to act as their assurer of support? My dads cousin is a PR and has been for many years so I was wondering whether to ask her if she would be willing. This leads me on to my following question...

What does the Assurer have to do and is there any risk to themselves by doing so?

My parents still wish to work once they get out there (mum is a radiographers assistant and dad is a carpenter) and luckily have funds of $825,000.00+ (this is to inc CPV fees) to support themselves. I just need to know how to explain the assurer role to my fathers cousin so I can hopefully get them out there with us sooner rather than later.

What would the assurer have to do exactly?

Also my mum is a type 2 diabetic, should this incur any problems?

And how long is the CPV currently taking to process for WA perth?

Any info as always is appreciated Many Thanks Kate

Anybody who is usually resident in Australia and has a qualifying income can act as an assurer. The can be more than one assurer. Consult Centrelink about this. The sponsor must be 'settled'. This is not well defined. Take professional advice about this. Uncomplicated Type II diabetes should not be a problem. Take professional advice about this.

My husband and I are in the very late stages of acquiring our 176 pr visa. It is my parents intention (as luckily they have the funds available) to join us once they acquire the CPV.

My question is as follows, am I right in thinking that as long as we have been there working for 12mths+ that they can then apply as long as they know someone who would be willing to act as their assurer of support? My dads cousin is a PR and has been for many years so I was wondering whether to ask her if she would be willing. This leads me on to my following question...

What does the Assurer have to do and is there any risk to themselves by doing so?

My parents still wish to work once they get out there (mum is a radiographers assistant and dad is a carpenter) and luckily have funds of $825,000.00+ (this is to inc CPV fees) to support themselves. I just need to know how to explain the assurer role to my fathers cousin so I can hopefully get them out there with us sooner rather than later.

Hi Kate, i am currently applying for a CPV 143 and the process is currently taking roughly 12mths for a case officer. I would seek advice on your questions from a migrant agent, i am using 'Go Matilda' who come highly recommended on here, i have found them to be excellent so far. Best of luck Ann

Hi

In order to sponsor your parents you would have to be deemed as 'settled'. This is normally a period of 2 years. There have been cases of parents applying earlier than this but I have heard that DIAC have now become stricter about this.

With regard to the Assurer, most people provide the money themselves for the Assurer, so there is no risk to them.

Have a look here for more information: http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/34aos.htm

DIACs agreement as to when a sponsor is "settled" in Australia seems to be a variable feast - at least two years is the prudent approach, but there are several cases that have been heard on appeal where sponsors were agreed by independent tribunal members to have been "settled" in comfortably less than two years.

Indeed, we have lodged successful applications in the past where sponsors had been living in Australia for 12 months.

Remember that a sponsor being settled in Australia is a time of application and a time of visa decision requirement.

Consider discussing this issue with an advisor who has experience in this area.

Best regards.

Hi

In order to sponsor your parents you would have to be deemed as 'settled'. This is normally a period of 2 years. There have been cases of parents applying earlier than this but I have heard that DIAC have now become stricter about this.

With regard to the Assurer, most people provide the money themselves for the Assurer, so there is no risk to them.

Have a look here for more information: http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/34aos.htm

Ok thank you, as my parents assumed they had to put forward the $14k as assurance anyway that's great! Thanks for the info!

Archived