Melbourne Schools - where and how much?

Guest spock

Having trouble getting a straight answer from Mr Internet.

Does anyone have a list of government primary and secondary schools around Point Cook, Tarneit or Truganina please? Website addresses and email addresses would be a big help.

I've seen some in Hoppers Crossing, but there must surely be others in the other suburbs!

And also, how much do these cost? I've seen some of the other threads saying it varies across different states. I understand that there are uniform and books to pay for, but as for fees themselves (govt schools, not private) - any ideas for Victoria?

Many thanks,

James.

:wacko:

• 2 months later...
Guest Truckinmick

there is a book called The Good School Guide 2007, it gives you a lot of information on secondary schools etc in melbourne, i think you can get it on the edecation web site, priced at $13.95, hope this helps you as we have the same problem ourselves for our daughters aged 14 and 16.

Good Luck.

Government schools are free. What are "suggested" are voluntary contributions - no idea what they are but you dont actually have to pay them if you can withstand any pressures which may be applied. Some families refuse to pay their contributions "on principle" others because they cannot afford to. In the last school I had dealings with, here in ACT they thought they were doing quite well at 85%.

Hi

I thought you had to pay for schools in Canberra, I saw on another post recently that the costs were 4500/5000 per child, am i mistaken and is this for a private school and are state schools therefore free.

All depends on whether you are a permanent resident or not. If you are not a permanent resident then you have to pay fees to attend government schools. PRs do not have to pay at all if they dont want to. Other categories have to pay an international student rate. I just had a look at the ACT site which actually has $9K pa for a primary kid - there must be another rate for temp resident visa holders as opposed to full fee paying international students (I hope!!!) rates for HS and college were even higher :arghh:

I was making the assumption with the original post that we were talking PR costs. Sorry if that is confusing.

Hi Quoll

Thanks for your reply, still confused, we are probably looking to go over on a 457 sponsored visa. Are you saying that on 457 all states in Oz you have to pay for your children to go to Government/State schools? If so, are they around 4500/5000 per child. This will eat into a chunk of OH salary as we have three children as school.

Sorry Im confused!!! So much to research.

Thanks.

Debbie:unsure:

Hi Quoll

Thanks for your reply, still confused, we are probably looking to go over on a 457 sponsored visa. Are you saying that on 457 all states in Oz you have to pay for your children to go to Government/State schools? If so, are they around 4500/5000 per child. This will eat into a chunk of OH salary as we have three children as school.

Sorry Im confused!!! So much to research.

Thanks.

Debbie:unsure:

As I understand it no extra fees are charged in Queensland, Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia, and Western Australia for kids on a 457 visa.

International student fees are charged in New South Wales and Australian Capital Territory.

So in NSW the fees are $4.5K - $5.5K pa depending on year level. ACT international student fees are $9.5K pa for primary up to $13.5K for yrs 11&12

However if you send your child to an independent school then you pay whatever the standard fees are so a systemic Catholic school would be about $3K - $4K pa up to the Grammar schools which are $12K-$15K pa (or more, all depending on the school)

Does that help?

Archived