How much!!!!!!!!!!!

JaseandAnne

I CANNOT BELIEVE THE PRICE OF FLIGHTS!!! Well, its the tax actually.

We are looking at flying out to Perth in March to activate our visas, 2 adults and 3 kids aged 9,9 and 2 1/2 and I cant find flights cheaper than £4400, this includes a stopover in Singapore for 2 nights on the way out and back. No hotels or transfers, oh no, just the flights!!!

BUT £2000 of it is Tax and Charges:arghh::arghh: How much more of this countrys deficit does Mr Cameron want me to personally pay off!!!!

I was looking at flights last week thinking I should book them and Qantas came out cheapest at £4100, then Bu**er me if they havent gone up this week to £4400.

I've tried them all, Singapore, Asia, Emirates, Eithad etc and it always works out cheaper to go direct to the company websites. All these "Cheap flight" websites are all dearer than going direct, Whats that about!!!

So, now rant is over, do I book them now or do you think there will be a time when they will go down?

After all, with the cost of these flights surely it must put holiday makers off!! If I didnt have to activate the visas I could put that money into the time when we actually go for good!!!!

Jase

Guest guest30085

Hi there

What is the cut off date for validating your visa? I flew with Emirates MAN - PER last June and paid approx £640 (adult). June/July is usually cheaper but no use to you, I know, if you have to validate earlier than this.

They do tend to rise the nearer to the date you book, from what Ive seen.

Also when in March are you looking, as if near the end, you may be being hit by the hikes due to the Easter Hols?

Well, our visa validation runs out in August but we wnated to go when the weather was good so the kids could see it all sunny. I know it gets rainy and chilly in July /August. Yeah, its towards end of March so I suppose that adds to price, its just sooooo much money.

Thanks for replying

Guest guest30085
Well, our visa validation runs out in August but we wnated to go when the weather was good so the kids could see it all sunny. I know it gets rainy and chilly in July /August. Yeah, its towards end of March so I suppose that adds to price, its just sooooo much money.

Thanks for replying

I know the weather isnt going to be as warm at that time of the year, but if its only to validate and saves you a good chuck of the 4k, it may be worth considering?

Which airport/s are you looking to fly from?

For flights with Emirates (from MAN in Jun/Jul) - prices currently are approx £2500 for 2A + 2C dep 25/06

You are flying around Easter time so prices jump. If Easter is the same time as you are over then cost of accommodation usually rises also.

Personally, if you are going to Perth I'd go in June/July when its cheaper and save the small fortune. Average temp is not exactly freezing that time of year. Probably on par with the UK :P I'd also forget the stopover and save a heap of cash that way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perth,_Western_Australia#Climate

And often when you look online those prices will jump the next time you go back, even if its the next day. The best thing I find if you have to go on specific dates is to book as far in advance and get the airlines cheaper tickets (of which they allocate a limited number before they then jump to the next price level and so on) and book for June/July next year. You can get cheaper deals waiting but with 3 kids it probably would be hard to get for a family of 5 (often these cheap last minute deals are for one or two seats only or with some dodgy airline I've never heard of). But that is just me. We've done the trip enough times to know what we like to do.

Also consider Japan Airlines and flying via Tokyo. They often come out a bit cheaper as if you get the right time flight they have a stopover for 12 hours (overnight at a transit hotel) that is factored into their ticket price (or it used to be when hubby did the trip a fair bit, 2 or 3 times a year). He used to save a small fortune doing this flight. And don't limit yourself to activating and having to go to Perth to do so. If its cheaper to fly to Sydney or Melbourne, perhaps consider a 2 week holiday there (and then even look into cheap domestic flights to nip over to Perth).

My main thing is be flexible with your options and don't rule anything out before you rule it in. Its only to activate so if costs matter, do all you can to make it a great trip but also save on the pocket where you can.

We are in the same position although we have 4 kids so I've been keeping my eye on flights. All the airlines have put at least £1000 on top since last week. We were looking at February or March, I 'm think I'll wait until the new year, last year I'm sure Emerites had a sale in January. When I asked at the sudden price rise this week, I was told by travel agent it was because the taxes were going to rise again. I wish we didnt all have to validate, its going to be an expensive validation trip. I'd much rather go on my own if I could.

Thanks for all the advice guys, the main factor driving us to go in March/April is that with work:policeman: I'm not allowed to have July, August or September off because of the Olympics. As our validation runs out end of August it doesnt leave me much time. I think Im just going to have to swollow it.

I Agree with ShirleyT, its a shame we all have to go and validate, they arent silly the Ozzy government, they know you will come and stay over especially if you got kids, all money for there economy. However, its better to go and pay for a nice holiday than have it just taken off you like this government wants to do!! (I have a pension that I already pay a huge whack into) :realmad::realmad:

Gonna look at Japan airways never thought of that route!.

Good lucks guys and if you find flights for £50 let me know and come and flap the wings with you!!!:wink:

Guest KatyNick

We validated end Oct/beginning of Nov this year and paid £3,600 for 2 adults plus 2 children. We live in the North East but to get a 'decent' price we ended up flying out of Heathrow. We had the expenditure and hassle of travelling down to London, hotel accommodation etc, but it was cheaper than flying from Newcastle. (We flew with Singapore by the way).

Guest MontyClaude

We validated in Mar 2010 and only booked our tickets in the Nov. We paid £1100 return for the 2 of us with Malaysian airlines. They were having a web deal, I rang to see if I could include the Irish leg but the girl on the phone said she couldn't even book it for us cos it was web only and a special offer. I know this doesn't help you but def worth checking all the sites everyday if you have time.

Arent Singapore Airlines supposed to be the best? KatyNick what was that flight like?

I do try the webites everyday but I'm getting worried if I leave too long they will go up past what I can afford.(they already are!!) Qantas already dont have any availiabilty on their cheapest flight times.

I have been looking at flights for the past 2 weeks & they really do seem to jump from day to day. also have a play around with the dates just by going 10 days later in feb i saved £850 (2 adults 2 kids) direct with emirates was the cheapest,

I then rang flightcentre who will beat any price and they came in £100 cheaper total £3018 man - bris & thats with desent flight times if thats actually possible lol!

Guest KatyNick
Arent Singapore Airlines supposed to be the best? KatyNick what was that flight like?

I do try the webites everyday but I'm getting worried if I leave too long they will go up past what I can afford.(they already are!!) Qantas already dont have any availiabilty on their cheapest flight times.

Singapore were okay, I would fly with them again but they wouldn't be my first choice. The first time we went we went with Emirates .... flight times were great, staff were great, can go from Newcastle - I would definately go Emirates each time.

With regard to Singapore - the flight times weren't great in one respect. We left London at 11.30 am and landed in Singapore at about 7.20 am their time - unfortunately our body clocks were still saying 12.20 am. This was a real problem for my eldest as it really 'screwed' up his system which ended up in him being sick on the plane due to fatigue and then us all not been allowed to disimbark until we had been checked by Quaranteen!

"................... him being sick on the plane due to fatigue and then us all not been allowed to disimbark until we had been checked by Quaranteen!"

Oh my goodness, my worst nightmare!!! Hope he got better quickly to enjoy his time there?

Do you think a couple of days stop over would of helped? This is my theory and why I want 2 days or so at Singapore to recover a bit. I remeber going all the way to Adelaide with just an hour stop over and arriving at our hotel at 9;30 am just wanting to go to bed but checkin wasnt till 12:00!!! They were very good though and rushed us through a room.

Jase

"................... him being sick on the plane due to fatigue and then us all not been allowed to disimbark until we had been checked by Quaranteen!
"

Oh my goodness, my worst nightmare!!! Hope he got better quickly to enjoy his time there?

Do you think a couple of days stop over would of helped? This is my theory and why I want 2 days or so at Singapore to recover a bit. I remeber going all the way to Adelaide with just an hour stop over and arriving at our hotel at 9;30 am just wanting to go to bed but checkin wasnt till 12:00!!! They were very good though and rushed us through a room.

Jase

I think it really depends on the time you choose to fly out, especially with kids. We never fly long haul to Aus on a day flight. Always a night flight so we are tired enough to zonk out for at least some of the first leg. Our son slept 8.5 hours from LHR to Singapore on a nightflight. And so did I pretty much. And then the few hours stopover before flying on so again, in the evening/nighttime zone for bodyclock still. I cope fine with it. Last time we did this we arrived 7am in Adelaide and didn't go and nap till after lunch around midday.

I personally think stopovers are overrated and prefer to change flights and carry on within a few hours of hitting Changi.

You know your kids best. If you think you'd prefer a day flight and a stopover for a few days then go for it. But chances are if they are tired they'll sleep ok on a nightflight and you can just get on with it.

Archived