Vetassess for carpenter / joiner

Guest Paul&Tracey1965

Guest army24

Hey fella ive done the test , you have to choose carpentry or joinery , i chose C . its dead straight forward , if you know your hand tools you got no worries. a small hipped roof was prob the most difficult bit, you will enjoy the experiance 7-8 other like minded carpenters together in one room with one goal in mind , to get to OZ. forgot to mention on my other replies its not in London ist in Accrington.... yeh i know WHO ARE THEY........EXACCCCTLY.
hi there i was just wondering when you constructed the hipped roof, did you have to draw it out first to calculate the height of the ridge? could you explain how the asseors check the roof after youve finished?? thanx a lot..

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest andy1865
Don't be worried, my mate has just went through a pre-assessment course for the VETASSESS exam....said it cleared everything for him....a college somewhere in Glasgow delivers the course.

All the best....hope everything goes well :spinny:

Hi could you please find out about what collage this was at or any info would be good, got mine oct 29th and papping my self but would be nice to go through it all first to gain a bit of confidence. cheers. Andy

Guest keith lancaster

First off good luck to all you carpenters doing your vetassess.

As a fellow carpenter & joiner I feel it is my duty to tell you all how it is over here in WA........ There is noooooo work. Choose very wisely where you decide to settle. Things are very very different to what we know and to what we're use to, so be be warned. I know of 4 other chippies over here, ones already left another going home next week and the other two no longer apply there trade and my self at the moment I'm installing air con. (and this time of the yearI'm not exacltly busy )

Now just to be very clear on this, I know my job very well. God knows, I've been round the block a few times.

Any regrets moving here.......NO, just wish I had the heads up and gone for a complete new line of work 18 months ago or at least had a bloody good scout around before I settled.

GOOD LUCK.

Guest eddymunki

Hiya got my Joinery vetasses at Acrington on 29th October to, See you there. Am papping me self to.

Guest andy1865

Hi, nice one, i am more a carpenter than a joiner and not really done so much bench stuff so a bit worried at the moment so i think i will ask about changing it, any way good luck and hope to see you there, Andy

Guest andy1865

Has anyone actually done the joinery test that can give me any advice, i wanted to do the carpentry but not done roof work so was going to do a course before i went but now its come back as joiner and people are saying i need to know spindle moulding and stuff like that and my bum just fell out ;-) if anyone can help that would be great as people that get back on hear always seem to know someone els that have done it but not actually been there, When i get sorted with mine i will try help with all the questions and leave as much info as i can. Cheers. Andy

Guest army24
they asked to name them ie ledgers, battons, stuff like that but they help you along with it also ask alot about how thick foundations are and how much steel in them !! good luck[/quote HI there, done my vetasses today cheers for the info woz spot on! how long do you wait to here for results?

they asked to name them ie ledgers, battons, stuff like that but they help you along with it also ask alot about how thick foundations are and how much steel in them !! good luck[/quote HI there, done my vetasses today cheers for the info woz spot on! how long do you wait to here for results?

well done and good luck you should hear within week to 2 weeks !!

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone

I have my VATESSA trade test on Sept 28th (eeek). I have read all of the info posted on the site and it has helped me understand further what is involved, so i thank you all for this. Due to the current economic down turn in Oz, has any one got any idea how long it takes from when you pass the test to when you get granted your visa and can finally leave the UK.

Many thanks

Matt

• 9 months later...

Hi All,

probably a bit late out of the starting blocks here, the College course is pre-assessment for vetassess, it runs on a Saturday/Sunday but only at certain times of the year. (you need to contact the college about times etc) and it costs £350.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is being offered by North Glasgow College.

I believe it is a one day course and covers all the different terminology used etc. I'd rather save my 350 quid and ask a few questions of the good folks on PIO.

any way hope this info is helpful

clan mac

Guest army24
hi all,

probably a bit late out of the starting blocks here, the college course is pre-assessment for vetassess, it runs on a saturday/sunday but only at certain times of the year. (you need to contact the college about times etc) and it costs £350.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is being offered by north glasgow college.

I believe it is a one day course and covers all the different terminology used etc. I'd rather save my 350 quid and ask a few questions of the good folks on pio.

Any way hope this info is helpful

clan mac

sounds like a total rip off!!!!

Hi All,

probably a bit late out of the starting blocks here, the College course is pre-assessment for vetassess, it runs on a Saturday/Sunday but only at certain times of the year. (you need to contact the college about times etc) and it costs £350.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is being offered by North Glasgow College.

I believe it is a one day course and covers all the different terminology used etc. I'd rather save my 350 quid and ask a few questions of the good folks on PIO.

any way hope this info is helpful

clan mac

To be fair we are talking about professional trades people who should be doing these tests, so they should know their job without having to do a weekend course. If you ask me it smells of people trying to brush up on their DIY skills and bluff their way through, as well as lining the pockets of the colleges trying to cash in.

Guest army24

to be fair we are talking about professional trades people who should be doing these tests, so they should know their job without having to do a weekend course. If you ask me it smells of people trying to brush up on their diy skills and bluff their way through, as well as lining the pockets of the colleges trying to cash in.
couldnt agree more!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest hlandells

Hi people, have got my skills test book for tuesday coming in Preston. Think i should be ok with all that has been talked about, quite nervous though. Can anyone tell me if you have to find out the angles for the roof or are these given to you?????

Hi people, have got my skills test book for tuesday coming in Preston. Think i should be ok with all that has been talked about, quite nervous though. Can anyone tell me if you have to find out the angles for the roof or are these given to you?????

Hi

I did my exam in Feb 09 so its not as fresh in my mind. You construct the roof over a 8x4 sheet of plywood with 3x2 timbers around the edging to act like the base plates.

They give you the height of the roof and from here you work out the angle of the rafters.

Remember to take in two Bevels with you. This speeds up the construction of the roof, without having to change the angles to cut the birds mouth and rafter angles, you can just have them set up for both. They also ask you to attach a hip to this roof you are constructing.

If you are still unsure and need your memory refreshed then pop on YouTube and do a searching for constructing roofs with hips, birds mouths etc.

My friend brought in his Adjustable Roofing Sqaure that can also help with angles.

Stanley Adjustable Quick Square, 0076174460506

Hope this helps

Matt

• 1 month later...
Guest Lisa and Ted

Hey all, new to this so be patient. My partner is a joiner (NVQ Level 3) he has been told he will have to go home (Liverpool) to do his assessment with vetassess. We currently live in Perth. Does anybody know if he can lodge parts of the application here in Perth and just return home for the necessary parts? We have jobs and an apartment here and dont really want to return home unless its absoloutly necessary. Sounds like a lit of hard work and we haven't even started yet. This assessment also needs to be done before we can even apply for migration visa. Be worth it in the end but it seems never ending!!! :arghh:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ciaransbigmove

hi matt .. just starting this whole process now for vetassess, paper work is really quite confusion on the "trade evidence form" i feel like im not writing enough perhaps. Really want to get this right 1st time as my partner and son are depending on me. Would be great if you had any info for me regards to the written part of vetassess ... Thanks:confused::confused:

• 2 weeks later...
hi matt .. just starting this whole process now for vetassess, paper work is really quite confusion on the "trade evidence form" i feel like im not writing enough perhaps. Really want to get this right 1st time as my partner and son are depending on me. Would be great if you had any info for me regards to the written part of vetassess ... Thanks:confused::confused:

Hi,

I have just sent you a private message so check your inbox as soon as you can. :biggrin:

Cheers

Matt

Anyone doing the test , or any roofing chippies should get an iPhone and download ' carpenter lite' application . I always used trigonometry for roofing , never bothered with ready reckoners or the like but this app on the phone is fantastic. You enter your run and pitch. Or run and rise and it gives you rafter lengths including hip and jacks . You can also store projects on it and estimate materials and price jobs . I'm cleaning kit now got packers coming tomorrow morn . Wish I'd started doing it weeks ago ! And a Stanley adjustable roofing square really helps. Good luck , Micky

• 1 month later...
Guest Liam McManus

If you have an nvq 3 and have done a proper apprenticeship ..do you still have to do the vet assessment .....dont fancy spending £1400 for a day out when ive got the right papers.....any info much appreciated.....

Guest eddymunki

Most people have apprenticeship and exam papers

If you want Oz visa you have to jump through a lot

Of hoops and the vetasses is one of those hoops.

Good luck with your application ,

Regards Ed

• 4 weeks later...
Guest johnbaguio
Hi,

I have just sent you a private message so check your inbox as soon as you can. :biggrin:

Cheers

Matt

Hi Wolla Bolla Bing Bong,

Iive read your threads and I'm so gratefull for the good infos.Im about to send my docuemnts for first stage for vetassess and I dont have much to send and still worried with the practical exams.Please help me with some pointers I will need to survive the practical exams.Like any other else my family depends on this with me leaving work and focusing on this.

Remian blessed!

Archived