Vetassess for carpenter / joiner

Guest Paul&Tracey1965

Guest Paul&Tracey1965

Hi there just started the visa process wondered if any other carpenter / joiners can tell me what to expect in the trade test I have to do. just filled the first lot of vetassess forms in and sent them back no idea whats next but know I have to sit a trade test.:unsure:

Got a job in Perth so just want to get there and start.

Any advice appreciated.

Any time lines for a 175 carpenter/joiner

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Nigel Williams

Hey fella ive done the test , you have to choose carpentry or joinery , i chose C . its dead straight forward , if you know your hand tools you got no worries. a small hipped roof was prob the most difficult bit, you will enjoy the experiance 7-8 other like minded carpenters together in one room with one goal in mind , to get to OZ. forgot to mention on my other replies its not in London ist in Accrington.... yeh i know WHO ARE THEY........EXACCCCTLY.

Guest Paul&Tracey1965
Hey fella ive done the test , you have to choose carpentry or joinery , i chose C . its dead straight forward , if you know your hand tools you got no worries. a small hipped roof was prob the most difficult bit, you will enjoy the experiance 7-8 other like minded carpenters together in one room with one goal in mind , to get to OZ. forgot to mention on my other replies its not in London ist in Accrington.... yeh i know WHO ARE THEY........EXACCCCTLY.

Thanks for the reply, I will be choosing carpentry as well. you say as long as I know my hand tools, what do they actually ask you about them and expect you to do? Also do they ask to construct an actual roof with the hip rafter and what about the jack rafters? must admit I hate being tested on things as I know my whole family would be relying on it.

Can you explain exactly is it I have never heard of it lol

Paul

Guest keith lancaster

Mate, you sound worried. dont be, I never actually had to do the test but I wish I had .(it would have been a lot quicker than the TRA.) I'm going to guess that there looking at your actuall skills in the handeling of tools . they'll know if your a carpenter or not just by your whole approach. I'm suere you'll be fine. I will be in Perth at the begining of January starting a new life, also as a carpenter, Good luck on the whole move.

Guest Nigel Williams
Thanks for the reply, I will be choosing carpentry as well. you say as long as I know my hand tools, what do they actually ask you about them and expect you to do? Also do they ask to construct an actual roof with the hip rafter and what about the jack rafters? must admit I hate being tested on things as I know my whole family would be relying on it.

Can you explain exactly is it I have never heard of it lol

Paul

hi paul, yes they do ask you to construct an actual small roof with hips and jacks. also make a horse bench and some bits of marking out , all really basic stuff. Keith is right your whole approach is looked at, it doesnt matter how quick or slow you are , we all have our own pace, they look to see how you handle yourself, everything you do there is done with hand tools. A simple task was to sharpen your chisel, first grind then hone,this sounds too simple.... and it indeed is.... but for someone who is not a chippie the task becomes almost impossible. Believe me fella you will have no worries, and you will enjoy it. good luck...

• 3 months later...
Guest tonzy

Hi not sure if im posting on the right bit but here goes.

My husband is a carpenter and we are at presnt gaining all our info to send of for the first part of the assesment ...Is there anyone out there that could give us any idea about the amount of evidence that is needed with regards to references etc.... My husband is a qualified carpenter with certificates but has worked for quite a few different companys a lot of which have gone bust and are no longer trading including the company that he done his apprentiship with !!!! He is at present working self employed

any info would be gratefully recieved as we need to get the ball rolling to get in for the july tests

many thanks xxxxx

waiting with anticipation lol

Tonya

• 1 year later...
Guest andy1865
Hi there just started the visa process wondered if any other carpenter / joiners can tell me what to expect in the trade test I have to do. just filled the first lot of vetassess forms in and sent them back no idea whats next but know I have to sit a trade test.:unsure:

Got a job in Perth so just want to get there and start.

Any advice appreciated.

Any time lines for a 175 carpenter/joiner

Hi, how did you manage to get a job while you are here, i have been trying for 2 years but got no where with it, hope all goes well for you and keep us all posted. Andy

Guest trigger

Hi

Apparently you have to make a saw bench and then construct a traditional roof on a sheet of 8x4 ply. and all this is to a dwg, so doesnt sound to bad, i have my vetassess on 23rd july. Have you booked yours yet? if so when do you have it.

Richard and Jo

Guest andy1865
Hi

Apparently you have to make a saw bench and then construct a traditional roof on a sheet of 8x4 ply. and all this is to a dwg, so doesnt sound to bad, i have my vetassess on 23rd july. Have you booked yours yet? if so when do you have it.

Richard and Jo

Hi Richard, thanks for the info, my forms have just gone in so not sure it will be as soon as July if i get through the paperwork but there was a mention of Oct, Let me know how you get on and all the best with your move. :smile:

hi oh sat his carpentry last year ,had to construct a pitched roof and hip roof, lay out for doors and partitions, making a joiner stool and general random questions about construction while your working. pretty basic stuff but under pressure due to if fails have to pay again . good luck. hyow did you go about getting work sponcer we will need try that route now due to visa delays etc. did you just forward your cv to different companies?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest army24

hi there. I have to take the carpentry test next friday, was just wondering what kind of roof do you have to construct, do you have to work to a certain span and pitch? thanks so much craig.

Guest army24
Hi

hi there, was just wondering when you construct the hipped roof do they give you a span and a certain pitch to work too? thaks craig.

hi you have to construct a ridged roof with a hip roof at end. yes you do need to work to certain span and pitch from memory think was 20 degrees? was last year now not 100%.

its similar to trade test when at college, fairly straightforward but nervewracking as under bit pressure

good luck

Guest army24

cheers for info, so is that with common rafters at one end and hipped at the other end? did you pass? cheers craig.

Guest Bobbyh
Hi

hi there, was just wondering when you construct the hipped roof do they give you a span and a certain pitch to work too? thaks craig.

done vetassess on monday.the span 4ft , the length 8ft & the pitch 30 degrees, with 8 inch over hang at eaves. 70x40mm timber is used constuct all parts of the roof ridge,commons,hips,jack rafters & ceiling joist. hope this helps.

Guest Natty T
Hi

Hi, my hubby Dom has his vetassess on 23rd, we are from Leicester heading to Perth

Natalie :spinny:

Guest Natty T

done vetassess on monday.the span 4ft , the length 8ft & the pitch 30 degrees, with 8 inch over hang at eaves. 70x40mm timber is used constuct all parts of the roof ridge,commons,hips,jack rafters & ceiling joist. hope this helps.

Did they want to know much about scaffolding?

Thanks Natalie.

Guest army24

cheers for the info, so do you draw it out first took work out the height of your ridge? cheers craig

Guest army24

did they ask you to name tower caffold components? you couldnt name them could you? just forgot thts all. thanks craig.

Guest Tradetalk

Don't be worried, my mate has just went through a pre-assessment course for the VETASSESS exam....said it cleared everything for him....a college somewhere in Glasgow delivers the course.

All the best....hope everything goes well :spinny:

Guest trigger

its straight foward enough and you have plenty of time to carry out all the tasks, the best advice i can give is to read each instruction before you carry out any work, as you know how it is when your on site you do things the way youve been taught, but this in a way is like going back to college for the day. to be honest i quite enjoyed it . but hey im sad. LOL

regards

Richard and Jo

Guest army24
its straight foward enough and you have plenty of time to carry out all the tasks, the best advice i can give is to read each instruction before you carry out any work, as you know how it is when your on site you do things the way youve been taught, but this in a way is like going back to college for the day. to be honest i quite enjoyed it . but hey im sad. LOL

regards

Richard and Jo

hi there, was just wondering when you put the hipped roof on do you hve to draw it out first, to calculate the heightof h ridge? do the assesors check the roof afterwards with a straight edge?? cheers

Archived