3 months in Melbourne, couldnt be happier!

young2682

Hi all,

Firstly thank you to everyone on PIO for answering all my questions in the lead up to our big move.

So we flew with Singapore and as everyone had said, they lived up to their fabulous reputation and we had a hassle free flight. We flew with our two children 3 and 4 and they were brilliant, I was very nervous flying with 2 kids as was worried theyd get bored and start getting difficult but I could not have been more wrong, they slept a large portion of the flight between Heathrow and Singapore, then we had about 3 hours at sin airport, then another night flight to Melbourne, they loved the choice to movies etc on the in flight entertainment and the staff were brilliant and frequently came over to ask if we needed anything, could not fault them.

Our first 5 weeks was the hardest, we were staying in serviced apartments provided by my husbands company which was great but I struggled to keep the little ones entertained all day every day and obviously didnt know anyone! But the more I put myself out there the easier it got.

Since we finally found a long term rental in Berwick our feet havent touched the ground, my husband cycles to Hallam every day so I have the car, he is doing really well in his job and is progressing quickly which is great.

I have met a wonderful group of friends who have made me feel so welcome! There is barely a day that goes by where I dont have something planned.

I have found that since I arrived the people here are really laid back and friendly and cannot do enough for you, the food is not as pricey as people say, you just have to be savvy about where you shop, I go to butchers for my meat and buy in bulk, I go to the markets for my fruit and veg, Aldi for some bits, coles for others but generally we find it very affordable.

The roads are very big and confusing here, more so than the quiet little essex village that I was used to anyway! So Sat Nav was the first and best purchase we made when we arrived! It is now my best friend! Although I have been out without it recently so I am getting there!

There is so much to see and do where we live, in Berwick we are 20/35 mins (depending on where you go) from the Dandenong Ranges which are spectactular, Olinda, Sassafras are my favourites, very quiant aussie villages right up in the hills, lots of places to have a cream tea or a famous aussie pie, you can also feed the wild parrots and cockatoos!

25 mins and we have the most beautiful coastline, if you go towards Carrum the sea is lovely and clear and beaches all really clean, most with parks for the kids and the infamous free bbq's! The first time we had a nice hot day we headed to Carrum beach and watching the kids running and splashing about with their little bodyboards made me realise why I moved here.

1 hour away we have Phillip Island where you can visit famous surf beaches, the grand prix circuits, the penquin parade and so on. Also an hour away is the Mornington Penisula which is equally beautiful, lots of lovely beaches, wineries, the famous hot springs, and spectacular scenery.

Apart from the fact that it rains more than I thought in Melbourne lol, the weather is gorgeous and most days are spent outdoors at local parklands, gardens, lakes, hills or beaches. I can honestly say that we have done more here in 3 months than our whole lives in the UK!!The kids hardly watch tv anymore (their choice) and would rather be outside rain or sun!

There are so many things to do here that dont cost anything so as long as you have fuel (which is cheaper here) and a picnic hamper you can go anywhere and do anything.

Our move here has been very stressful but now we have a routine going with us and the kids and have exciting plans most weekends, we could not be happier, you cant sit about waiting for your life to start here, you have to get out and meet people, go places, explore.

Australia is awesome in every way and I could not imagine living anywhere else in the world.

Anyway, hope this has lifted a few spirits and given those that are unsure the encouragement to go for it, you only get one shot at happiness, we have found ours :-)

I will report again in a few months! :cute:

• Like 1

Guest gavnicjacflo

Thankyou very much for the post you have definately lifted my spirits. We are planning to move to Perth in March, but the nerves have started to kick in and I began to loose track of why we want to move to the otherside of the world, you have just reminded me, look forward to the next update.

Guest Sharon Hammond

Thank you for that, it has really helped me... as so undecided as what to do for the best... I am 46 my husband 57 and daughter 9 we are at all different stages of life, Australia was my dream years ago and always has been ( but, has been on the back burner....) we have our PR visa and validated, but it expires in Nov 2014 so not much time left, its just the fear of jumping but, you make it sound so easy.... please let us know how it goes... we are planning on Redcliffe north of Brisbane. My daughter and I are both keen on the move but, it seems so far away and so much to do all the time... any advice? Thank you again, good luck and regards .... Sharon x

Hi Sharon,

We were in a similar situation-ish to you. My wife was always keen to move down under and I always dismissed it out right.

Then one day she caught when I must have had a bad day in work and I said 'OK'. 18 months later and we were living on the other side of the world!

The only regret I have is I wish I had done it sooner!

These days my motto is "When you look back on life then regret the things you have done and not the things you haven't".

If it's your OH that is having cold feet get him on here and we'll convince him!

Good luck,

Geoff

Sharon, my only advice is go for it, you can always go back but never let an opportunity pass you by, it would be a shame to live with a big fat regret! GO for it and good luck!

P.S dont read the negative stuff on here, people tend to write about the bad stuff (a lot of them are muppets) but never the good so I have jumped on here to up the anti!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for these posts ,,making me feel I'm doin the right thing ,,we got our 119 visa 2 days ago ,,and now it feels very real ,even more so this week when we book flights for feb,,,,,me and my wife now feel quite nervous ,,hoping it's the right things for our kids ,,,I'm lucky my job is waiting for me in Melbourne ,,,so just a house n sanc lakes or point cook now ,,,

Can't wait to go ,,was goin In early jan till flight costs came through ,,mid feb is £1700 cheaper than early jan ,,,,friggin tax

You guys on here make us feel better ,,thanks ,,,,,:-)))

Guest James Parsons

Thanks for the nice post we just dropped our dog Bella off today at the shippers so I feel a bit sad, we fly on the 16th Jan and I will be in a similar position to you as we have one child (10 months) to entertain and I won't have a job till I get one sorted. I more than happy to get myself out there to meet people and it's nice your hard work as paid off!

Hayley

So nice to hear a 'good news' story on here - have seen so many ones about returning to the UK recently so this is a refreshing change :)

Glad you've settled in a well - we'll probably end up in Melbourne some time next year after spending a few months in Adelaide with my OH's folks. Really can't wait! :)

Hope it continues to go well for you - more happy stories soon please! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, lovely to hear your story, some very positive feedback which was great to read.

We too are from Essex, what part were you from? We shall be moving to Melbourne and are all coming out in March to validate the visas. Hubby is a carpenter and we have four girls. Would love to hear more from you about the differences and any tips you have :wink:

Lovely to read such a positive story... it's really made me feel much better about my imminent departure! I'm leaving London (I'm from Braintree, Essex originally though!) and moving to Sydney next month on my own. As the date gets nearer and nearer the nerves are kicking and I'm starting to question whether I'm doing the right thing. It's been 3 years since I was last in Australia, so my wonderful memories are not as fresh as they once were however reading your post has brought them all rushing back. I can't wait to get there now!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There,

I am totally new to this website, but i just read your post there. We are planning to move to berwick late Feburary on a 4 year spospership visa all going well .I have two young children and am very unsure of what the future brings but reading your post has relieved me a little.I was just woundering what the schools are like as i need to find a good school for my son, he is in primary school and 8 years old, i have heard that public schools are not that good but the private schools are extremly expensive If you had any information on this i would really appreciate it, i have tried ringing schools but most of them are on Summer Holidays..

Thanks a mil

Tanya

Hi Tanya,

I think the primary schools in Berwick are all good as far as I have heard, I have friends that have children at Timbarra P-9 college (my daughter starts there next month), Berwick Primary and Berwick Lodge and all are very happy with their childrens progress. I dont think private schooling is that expensive here, not in comparison to the UK anyway. Even the public schools you still have to pay fees though, I have to pay $150 for my daughters school books and stationery plus the uniform cost me nearly $150!

The schools are on holidays but I believe they open a week before term starts to allow people to go in and purchase books etc so maybe try again on 27th Jan?

Keep me posted on your progress and when you arrive if you need anything just pm me, good luck! x

Hi Tanya,

I think the primary schools in Berwick are all good as far as I have heard, I have friends that have children at Timbarra P-9 college (my daughter starts there next month), Berwick Primary and Berwick Lodge and all are very happy with their childrens progress. I dont think private schooling is that expensive here, not in comparison to the UK anyway. Even the public schools you still have to pay fees though, I have to pay $150 for my daughters school books and stationery plus the uniform cost me nearly $150!

The schools are on holidays but I believe they open a week before term starts to allow people to go in and purchase books etc so maybe try again on 27th Jan?

Keep me posted on your progress and when you arrive if you need anything just pm me, good luck! x

In case you don't know you can claim half the school expenses (not fees) back at tax time if you earn under the limit (around $110,000?) so keep receipts.

Hi There,

I am totally new to this website, but i just read your post there. We are planning to move to berwick late Feburary on a 4 year spospership visa all going well .I have two young children and am very unsure of what the future brings but reading your post has relieved me a little.I was just woundering what the schools are like as i need to find a good school for my son, he is in primary school and 8 years old, i have heard that public schools are not that good but the private schools are extremly expensive If you had any information on this i would really appreciate it, i have tried ringing schools but most of them are on Summer Holidays..

Thanks a mil

Tanya

There are a lot of schools in and around Berwick and I think most of them are pretty good.

I feel that the private schools are a two tier system, yes there are the schools that are expensive and exclusive but there are also those that are more affordable, perhaps around a quarter of the price.

No matter what, they are still all good. Taking lessons outside of the classroom - can you imagine doing that on a regular basis in the UK???

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

What a great and positive post. Hope it is still going well!!

My wife and I are considering a move to the Melbourne area. We would be coming on her 457 as she is a Nurse.

We have two children currently 12 and 15.What is Berwick like for their age group, is it far from a major hospital and are rents reasonable there?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank You. John and Tracy

Hi John & Tracy,

I have 3 friends who are nurses here, all at different hospitals. The main one is Casey Hospital which is in Berwick and is huge, then there are several private and smaller ones in and around this area so depending on what her expertees are I am sure there would be plenty of choice.

Berwick is great for that age, plenty of sports clubs, parks, lakes (for fishing or kayaking) and not far from the beach.

Have a look at www.domain.com.au and www.realestate.com.au for rentals, in Berwick you would be looking to pay around $400 for a 4 bed 2 bath with a decent amount of space. There are cheaper suburbs that are minutes from Berwick, Narre Warren, Narre Warren South, Hallam, Cranbourne east, Officer - naming a few.

All in all, a very lovely place to live :-)

Alex

My 2 girls are 12 and 14 and have a lot of fun in and around Berwick particularly with their sporting activities.

These days they are discovering the joys of retail therapy, which is handy with Fountain Gate (a massive shopping mall) just down the road!

Geoff

Thank you Alex.

Great info and I have now been on the real estate site and seen lots of affordable rentals in those areas.

How easy is it to get a furnished rental or add a furniture package to an unfurnished property via the agent please?

We are considering whether it is costs effective to ship out and then wait several weeks for, the contents of a typical 4 bed 3 reception room UK home. Any guidance/costs versus buying again in Oz would be welcome. Regards, John and Tracy