NSW State Sponsorship for a 176 - your experience?

Dono

Hi fellow PIO people :)

I have a question (or three) about NSW state sponsorship.

I want to apply for state sponsorship as an accountant as I have a positive skills assessment from the ICAA in that occupation.

My questions are:

• Has anyone here recently applied for state sponsorship with NSW?
  • Do they reply within their 3 to 4 week timeframe?
  • How strict are they? I meet their requirements in that I am a Chartered Accountant at the time of application with 3+ years experience at a big four firm in external audit - but from the sounds of things, for example, VIC is incredibly strict and rejects people left and right?
  • Did you get a grant? Specifically, did you get a grant as an accountant? If you did, what was your work experience background?

I'd really appreciate some feedback on the above as I am stressing a bit. I have to wait until January to apply for NSW SS because I don't yet meet the 3 year minimum experience requirement in my occupation.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MarkJowett

Hi Dono

I'm about to start applying for NSW state sponsorship too and have the same issues - can't find much information from people who have gone through it before. I originally applied to SA who have a whole forum of people doing the same which helped a lot (pomsinadelaide) but nothing seems too prevelant for NSW. I got rejected from SA as the planning levels were met for my occupation as i was applying which was annoying but the show must go on.

I have questions about the docuements you need to send with your application:

1. At the beginning it says that all documents must be certified - but then further down under employer references it says that it should be certified - so should all docs be certified or just the employer refs - oh and personal refs (just noticed that).

2. Optional Documents

- Letters of reference - who should these be from and what should they say?

- Letters of appointment - should you send these for all jobs or just last 5 years

- payroll records - going back how far - what in particular - payslips, P45's, P60's.

- Why does it have the option for others but not say what they are.

Is there anywhere with an FAQ that shows you how to fill this stuff in or what to actually include in the application?!?

Any help appreciated.

i haven't applied yet but i prepared my docs for NSW, so i can only give you mho on this:

Hi Dono

1. At the beginning it says that all documents must be certified - but then further down under employer references it says that it should be certified - so should all docs be certified or just the employer refs - oh and personal refs (just noticed that).

I certified all the docs I'm sending in copy

I also have original employment letters and refs. + payslips so I'm sending the originals in this case

2. Optional Documents

I'd say just the usual ref. letter that you will need there anyway to get a job, from present and past employers/managers, saying how awesome you did your job

- Letters of appointment - should you send these for all jobs or just last 5 years

I'm sending these for the last 10 years, just because I have them and they're good, but I would assume that is enough to send for the period specified in the criteria on their selected occupations list, cause that's why they have those criteria listed?

- payroll records - going back how far - what in particular - payslips, P45's, P60's.

I'm sending only the latest one (I'm from Canada so don't know what your codes mean..sorry)

Guess whatever else you consider it might back up your application and favor your ability to find a job there as soon as possible in your nominated occupation (I would send a proof as being member of an association or proof of any award won, stuff like this..Personally I have some certificates from various short specialty courses so I'm sending copy of those -they look and sound good too :)

Is there anywhere with an FAQ that shows you how to fill this stuff in or what to actually include in the application?!?

bah..didn't see one either..

Any help appreciated.

good luck, hope this helps

Guest MarkJowett

Thank you Sidney87.

I have emailed Beth Bull who has been helpful so far to see if she can confirm the questions i've asked. I will keep you posted on what she replies. But you are probably right, best to go OTT with these things even if they aren't specifically required.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Hi Dono

I'm about to start applying for NSW state sponsorship too and have the same issues - can't find much information from people who have gone through it before. I originally applied to SA who have a whole forum of people doing the same which helped a lot (pomsinadelaide) but nothing seems too prevelant for NSW. I got rejected from SA as the planning levels were met for my occupation as i was applying which was annoying but the show must go on.

Hey bud - I feel your pain. It's very confusing and NSW seems to be the most backward of all the states when it comes to state sponsorship. I can't believe we have to submit in hard copy!

I certified all my documents, except original documents prepared by me such as my CV.

2. Optional Documents

Get them from people you've worked for :)

As many as you can

I've included every payslip since I started permanent work. Then again thats only 3 years for me...

It's just in case you wanted to include something extra.

Nope

Any help appreciated.

One thing to be very careful of:

You will see that Tab 6 refers to an employment reference letter, which must meet all the requirements of DIAC booklet 6 - do a google search for DIAC booklet 6, then search that document for employment reference for what these requirements are.

The stuff on tab 8 is just employment reference letters so they can be any format as long as they're signed and stuff.

You will see that Tab 6 refers to an employment reference letter, which must meet all the requirements of DIAC booklet 6 - do a google search for DIAC booklet 6, then search that document for employment reference for what these requirements are.

The stuff on tab 8 is just employment reference letters so they can be any format as long as they're signed and stuff.

true

I would put those under employment letters/proof etc Tab 6; had to send the same to vetassess, same specs

I thought that Mark was talking about the Tab 8 letters as he actually clearly mentioned "optional" and for that I would go with managers' letters about how amazing you can be

Not necessarily as per diac booklet 6 - I provided a standard reference on Tab 6, then completed (and had signed) a statutory declaration to cover the 5 main duties requirement - I think I put this in the 'other' tab, and all seemed to be OK.

Guest MarkJowett

My occupation is Systems Administrator. For my skills assessment from ACS I was required to get all encompasing references that show salary, dates worked, job title, at least 5 main responsibilities and character comments. I would imagine this would cover all requirements from the references tabs required by NSW.

• 6 months later...
Yup, that's pretty much what I am submitting too.

Any luck with your state sponsorship? How hard is it for an accountant to get the sponsorship from NSW?

I applied for Victoria yesterday. However I have only 23 months of post qualification experience as an accountant and 36 months of practical training as part of chartered accountancy course. Hoping they dont follow strict 3 years post qualification experience.

Do you know if anyone with less than 3 years experience who has got the sponsorship?

As far as my knowledge goes only WA and ACT does not have 3 years mandatory work experience. So have to try applying to those states if Victoria rejects the sponsorship.

Thanks

Archived