Do you have to clear UK debts?

gaznem

Guest guest37336
Good advice from citizens advice.

It may seem appealing to move abroad to escape UK debts, the person in debt can run but they can't always hide. Creditors have been known to stop chasing those they can't find, however moving abroad doesn't always mean they can't find the debtor. Creditors use the following tactics to trace debtors, talking to neighbours at their debtor's last known address and tracing their activity through using cash. In some cases creditors have relations with other credit companies in that country, making it easier for them to find you. Once the creditor knows which country you are in, they can trace you relatively quickly and start pursuing you for the debt. So it may seem a good idea to move abroad and leave your debts behind, but the creditors can and probably will find you and demand the debt is repaid.

You should ideally establish a repayment agreement with the creditors before leaving the UK. There are many options to clear your debt, even if you no longer live in the UK, for example bankruptcy, IVAs or DMPs. Payplan can offer advice on all UK debts even if you no longer live in the country, however if you are abroad you should make it a priority to make a payment agreement with your creditors. If you fail to make a payment agreement your new life in a new county could be affected as your credit rating may result in you being unable to get jobs or a simple bank account.

I see a fair few people mate in debt crisis through Ruth's work at the moment, and to say this is 'probably' the worst time in recent history for unpaid debts would be an understatement.

The way it is going it will be many years before all debtors will be forced to pay, let alone traced, sign of the times I guess.

Funnily enough the 'smaller' the debt the more likely banks are likely to chase it up as they 'feel' they stand a better chance of recouping their losses.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest guest30085

It may seem appealing to move abroad to escape UK debts, the person in debt can run but they can't always hide. Creditors have been known to stop chasing those they can't find, however moving abroad doesn't always mean they can't find the debtor. Creditors use the following tactics to trace debtors, talking to neighbours at their debtor's last known address and tracing their activity through using cash. In some cases creditors have relations with other credit companies in that country, making it easier for them to find you. Once the creditor knows which country you are in, they can trace you relatively quickly and start pursuing you for the debt. So it may seem a good idea to move abroad and leave your debts behind, but the creditors can and probably will find you and demand the debt is repaid.

You should ideally establish a repayment agreement with the creditors before leaving the UK. There are many options to clear your debt, even if you no longer live in the UK, for example bankruptcy, IVAs or DMPs. Payplan can offer advice on all UK debts even if you no longer live in the country, however if you are abroad you should make it a priority to make a payment agreement with your creditors. If you fail to make a payment agreement your new life in a new county could be affected as your credit rating may result in you being unable to get jobs or a simple bank account.[/QUOTE]

This would only apply if there is a reciprocal agreement in the country of residence, with the country you left. Therefore if you are in Oz (unless it is monies owed to the UK govt) then it is not enforceable and will not affect your credit rating in Oz. They may still chase you, but it is not enforceable, so no credit agency in Oz will know about your unpaid debts in the UK.

The individuals morals are the only thing at risk! And for some poor souls who have been unemployed, long term sick or whatever other reason people become unable to pay their debts, I say good luck to them because the banks, collections agents, bailiffs couldnt give a damn.

Well if you owe some bloke 10k for a car you have bought off him and are paying it back monthly and you do a bunk, I would call that criminal. How would you feel Pablo if someone owed you 10k and vanished.

Yeah,but thats a moral offence,civil debts arent enforcable is all i'm saying,its more or less rite im sure you'l agree? anyway,cba arguing about it,im mellow tonite.....but anyway,the laws are what they are,loan companies MAY find yer,but they have no legal rite,end of...

Yeah,but thats a moral offence,civil debts arent enforcable is all i'm saying,its more or less rite im sure you'l agree? anyway,cba arguing about it,im mellow tonite.....but anyway,the laws are what they are,loan companies MAY find yer,but they have no legal rite,end of...

If they find you or you return to the UK they can and will take you to court to recover the money you owe them.

That's their legal right,,,at the end of the day my thoughts are ...if you owe someone money...pay them....end of.

If they find you or you return to the UK they can and will take you to court to recover the money you owe them.

That's their legal right,,,at the end of the day my thoughts are ...if you owe someone money...pay them....end of.

yeah i know what yer saying about owe=pay,im saying they CANT take you to court if your in oz,so in that case its NOT their legal right,anyway,leave the OP to find the answers to his original question eh?

Guest guest37336

It's NOT the case PB. Seriously mate, though you may 'feel' it is wrong the loans (with certain exceptions) ARE NOT enforceable after a certain period.

This is NOT a black and white issue, very few things are, but as is the way with forums sometimes people are a little reticent to post too much personal info, (as is their right) so when someone says' Can A Bank Chase Me For The Debt) it is very easy to jump on them from a great height is all, there is 'normally' more to the story than at first glance.

Cheers Tony.

You should ideally establish a repayment agreement with the creditors before leaving the UK. There are many options to clear your debt, even if you no longer live in the UK, for example bankruptcy, IVAs or DMPs. Payplan can offer advice on all UK debts even if you no longer live in the country, however if you are abroad you should make it a priority to make a payment agreement with your creditors. If you fail to make a payment agreement your new life in a new county could be affected as your credit rating may result in you being unable to get jobs or a simple bank account.[/QUOTE]

This would only apply if there is a reciprocal agreement in the country of residence, with the country you left. Therefore if you are in Oz (unless it is monies owed to the UK govt) then it is not enforceable and will not affect your credit rating in Oz. They may still chase you, but it is not enforceable, so no credit agency in Oz will know about your unpaid debts in the UK.

The individuals morals are the only thing at risk! And for some poor souls who have been unemployed, long term sick or whatever other reason people become unable to pay their debts, I say good luck to them because the banks, collections agents, bailiffs couldnt give a damn.

And for others who can pay of their debts it is just a way to avoid them...

p.s how would people who have been unemployed or long term sick be able to afford to move to Oz anyway? would they be using the money they owe to finance their move to Oz perhaps.

Guest guest30085

p.s how would people who have been unemployed or long term sick be able to afford to move to Oz anyway? would they be using the money they owe to finance their move to Oz perhaps.

Good for them if they do

Guest guest37336

PB, that is 'probably' the most blinkered statement you have ever made, come on.:no:

Guest guest30085

Hang on mate, if you have big debts in the UK and cannot afford to pay them off how the hell can you afford to move to Oz which costs tens of thousands?

Just a simple example, seems to fit . . . . .

I go and marry an Aussie . . . . . only need a flight. Approx £600 to fly to Perth in June say or £500 to go bankrupt in the UK . . . . . . . . . . .

I know what I would be spending my money on

Guest guest37336

Hang on mate, if you have big debts in the UK and cannot afford to pay them off how the hell can you afford to move to Oz which costs tens of thousands?

In 'some' cases PB, I for one (with my wife) have and will again do it for under £3000.:idea:

Just a simple example, seems to fit . . . . .

I go and marry an Aussie . . . . . only need a flight. Approx £600 to fly to Perth in June say or £500 to go bankrupt in the UK . . . . . . . . . . .

I know what I would be spending my money on

Thats up to you are your conscience.

p.s make note not to lend money to adonna...she does not pay her debts.

Guest guest30085

Thats up to you are your conscience.

p.s make note not to lend money to adonna...she does not pay her debts.

I dont remember saying that I have any debts? Nor that I wasnt going to pay them if I had?

Its called a hypothetical situation.

I was talking in general, but I understand that not everyone can live in an Ivory Tower and look down on the lowly people below :eek:

I dont remember saying that I have any debts? Nor that I wasnt going to pay them if I had?

Its called a hypothetical situation.

I was talking in general, but I understand that not everyone can live in an Ivory Tower and look down on the lowly people below :eek:

And I do you are saying.

Guest guest30085

And I do you are saying.

No, Im not, but not everything is black and white, is it?

Everyone's cirumstances are different, so there is no 'one size fits all' for this type of situation.

No, Im not, but not everything is black and white, is it?

Everyone's cirumstances are different, so there is no 'one size fits all' for this type of situation.

Maybe we are just different, if I owed money and could not afford to go to Oz i would not go until I paid of my debts and could leave with a clear conscience, that's just me though other people have diffident morals.

Just the way my parents brought me up be it good or bad.

Guest guest30085

Maybe we are just different, if I owed money and could not afford to go to Oz i would not go until I paid of my debts and could leave with a clear conscience, that's just me though other people have diffident morals.

Just the way my parents brought me up be it good or bad.

If you were in a different situation, your views may change.

Walk a mile in others shoes, is all Im saying.

Anyway Im away, thanks for the chin wag Perth, its been . . . . . fun :wideeyed::wink:

Who pays in the end though when people do a bunk....yep....the ordinary bloke on the street, these banks just pass all losses on to the poor blokes like you and me one way or the other.

What banks charge seems more heavily weighted towards what they think they can get away with, rather than any relation to the losses they make through bad debts..

What banks charge seems more heavily weighted towards what they think they can get away with, rather than any relation to the losses they make through bad debts..

And if they did not have to write off bad debts they would save billions a year, easing the pressure on them to fleece the people who play by the rules.

To think bad debts are not passed onto us is navie in the extreme.

And if they did not have to right off bad debts they would save billions a year, easing the pressure on them to fleece the people who play by the rules.

Hand on your heart, if there was an end to bad debts tomorrow do you think the banks would a. pay their executives more or b. reduce costs for consumers?

Off topic I know - but as a comparison - in the UK gas to the consumer costs 60% more than it did in 2007, yet gas currently costs 60% less to the big six fuel providers than it did in 2007. And profits are up....

Hand on your heart, if there was an end to bad debts tomorrow do you think the banks would a. pay their executives more or b. reduce costs for consumers?

Off topic I know - but as a comparison - in the UK gas to the consumer costs 60% more than it did in 2007, yet gas currently costs 60% less to the big six fuel providers than it did in 2007. And profits are up....

No one knows, but what I do know is that I have no respect people who have financed their lifestyle with loans and then do a bunk and try and cheat the people who have lent them the money in good faith.

No one knows, but what I do know is that I have no respect people who have financed their lifestyle with loans and then do a bunk and try and cheat the people who have lent them the money in good faith.

Yes, you do know what would happen - as do I.