In Person or online?

Guest stevieboy

Guest stevieboy

What is the best way of finding rental properties in Oz - Melbourne specifically? Via the internet sites like realestate.com or local newspapers or in person to the Real Estate agents? Do they produce/publish lists of available properties each week anywhere - even if it's in their own branch? Should I look at each agents websites or is there one main one that they all generally update?

There doesn't appear to be too much around when I look on the site mentioned above but I don't know if that's just because they are in short supply?

I need one that will take an old inside dog too but I'll cross that bridge once I've found some properties that interest me.....call me old fashioned

I think the best bet is to check online rather than the papers, and it doesn't hurt to chat to an agent in the area you are interested in. realestate.com.au is the site I have always used and it seems to be kept pretty well up to date.

What is the best way of finding rental properties in Oz - Melbourne specifically? Via the internet sites like realestate.com or local newspapers or in person to the Real Estate agents? Do they produce/publish lists of available properties each week anywhere - even if it's in their own branch? Should I look at each agents websites or is there one main one that they all generally update?

There doesn't appear to be too much around when I look on the site mentioned above but I don't know if that's just because they are in short supply?

I need one that will take an old inside dog too but I'll cross that bridge once I've found some properties that interest me.....call me old fashioned

Look at every way poosible to secure a rental property. Internet, local newpapers and walk into the Real Estate offices. It will increase your chances of getting one.

Guest workinginwesternaustralia

Hello

Not sure how it works in Melbourne, but here in Perth the tenant has to physically view the rental before signing the lease agreement............

WIWA

hi :wubclub:

we have been looking at rental as previous people have stated using real estate.com.au I am also in close contact with real estate agents x3 I also looked at the local papers for the area I wish to go to on line (Brisbane exchange ) if you go to this site will give you contact for other areas.

may also be an idea with real estae agent to get copy of there application form and have completed prior to going in to there offices.

Guest writergirl

Hi Stevieboy,

Depending on how much time you have available, online is definitely the way to go. For Melbourne rentals look at: realestate.com.au (largest), domain.com.au and realestateview.com.au. They each have free email property alerts that you can sign up for to deliver listings right to your inbox.

Other avenues include (but are harder to do from OS or if you’re time poor): checking local papers (Leader Newspapers, Fairfax Community Newspapers eg. Melbourne Weekly); Wednesday and Saturday real estate listings in The Age and The Herald Sun; collecting office rental lists.

These days the majority of real estate agencies save time by using their company websites to feed property listings to the main property portals (and vice versa) like realestate.com.au - so you shouldn’t need to worry too much about checking individual agency sites for listings (particularly if you’re looking in a busy area, smaller agencies still list separately).

Try and meet a few leasing agents eg. at open-for-inspections, or email in advance to introduce yourself and explain what you’re after. Anything that can help you stay ‘top of mind’.

If you’re looking in more competitive rental areas (eg. closer to the city) then definitely follow NurseSue’s advice and have application forms ready to go when you view the property. If you have references for your pet (eg. from a previous landlord) that will also help.

Good luck! Mel :smile:

PS. When you find your perfect property: if you viewed the property unaccompanied eg. by leaving a refundable key deposit at the real estate office, give serious consideration to changing the locks. It’s no problem as long as you supply a copy of all new keys to the managing agent.

We have just moved into a rental in Mornington, Vic. We spent time going in all of the local real estate agents on a Friday picking up all their rental lists. We then went through which ones we were interested in and phoned and made queries. For those that say not available until, many mean you can't even view until the tenants have moved out. I wouldn't know about whether you have to view before you sign up but you do have to apply for the lease and provide 100 points evidence check - this can vary from agent to agent. Some give different points values to different forms of id. Not having anything with an aussie address other than our drivers licence wasn't a problem, nor was previous tenancy references. We just explained that we owned our own home in the UK. It did help that our agent was a pom and keen to help out all the expats that she could find homes!

Felicity

Archived