Supermarkets - Coles, Woolworths, Foodland, others

Guest guest59652

Yep,similar to Fi!We just dont have any time in our days off to be asred shopping around!We both work shifts,and often don't see much of each other(a good thing sometimes):wink:Any'ow,we just go to the Supermarket,either Coles or Woolies,not really bothered which,but if there is a fruit and veg place near to them,(like a few yards away)i prefer to get that stuff there.Foodland is an SA Supermarket Chain i think,:idea:and to me it's basically Crap and overpriced,just like IGA.There aint no mega bargains to be had here IMO,BUT it's manageable!:yes::biggrin:

The shopping in different places for different things is the way to keep the bills down. But that obviously only works if you have the time.

IGA tend to do a lot of decent offers but we use it more like a corner store for the occasional pop in as we just need say some milk.

As for Tesco never much liked them Asda all the way ;)

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-35.171631,149.106311

we tend to use Coles more than any , i think Woolworths have some good gear in though a little more expensive ..........Spud shed is so much cheaper though a bit rough around the edges but for meat n 2 veg its a winner for me ...fill your trolly for less than $200 ,spent more than that last night in coles and only went in for girls school food .......!!!!!! WA needs Aldi and Lidle to keep the giants prices down down .............

we tend to use Coles more than any , i think Woolworths have some good gear in though a little more expensive ..........Spud shed is so much cheaper though a bit rough around the edges but for meat n 2 veg its a winner for me ...fill your trolly for less than $200 ,spent more than that last night in coles and only went in for girls school food .......!!!!!! WA needs Aldi and Lidle to keep the giants prices down down .............
Mein Gott Anthony!!!!:shocked::swoon:Well i never:frown:Who would have thought that you of all people would sneak off tho the Spud Shed in search of meat and two veg!:swoon::wink:

Mein Gott Anthony!!!!:shocked::swoon:Well i never:frown:Who would have thought that you of all people would sneak off tho the Spud Shed in search of meat and two veg!:swoon::wink:
gotta get it somewhere,plenty of spud heads in there .......its singles night on thursday .......:biggrin:

:twitcy:
gotta get it somewhere,plenty of spud heads in there .......its singles night on thursday .......::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Singles Night at the Supermarket, no, not for me, too sad although not as sad as the Man Club at Ikea, but, if you REALLY wanted to meet the kind of drippy bloke who would enjoy the IKEA Man Club, then it might be exactly the kind of place to meet him.

Woolies at Redfern is ever so slightly further than Coles at Surry Hills but I favour it if I'm driving because I can park right outside the entrance.

There's a dearer supermarket on Bondi Road which I don't mind because it's the only one I know where you can buy booze and food and pay at the same till.

Hang on though, hang on - there might be a similar place on Norton St, Leichhardt, more of a bottlo with an Italian deli combined?

Hope someone can help me with the names of these two?

• 2 weeks later...

Hubby and I whizzed through Coles in Chermside in a jetlag haze on our first evening picking up some starter groceries and laundry stuff. I was so distracted by the range of stuff, especially cheeses, it took a bit longer than it should have! Prices were fine, about what we'd pay on a Sainsbury's trip. Some things far cheaper actually - 1ltr of excellent ice cream for $5, better than Ben & Jerrys on offer!

Then today after meeting with NAB, we spent a good half hour browsing in Woolworths in the CBD. Fascinating range - I was taken with the scone loaf for toasting, and the huge selection of cereal bars (was a cereal bar addict in the UK!). I was knocked out by the size of the lemons - they look way too big for my newly bought lemon squeezer! Might have to buy an orange squeezer to accommodate them!

Depends on your tastes - we are not Bisto/Marmite/Tetley/HP sauce types. We love new and interesting food, and in this respect both Coles and Woolies kick the botties of all our regular UK supermarkets. Except maybe Waitrose!

Guest guest17301

Ha I was the same when I first went to Woolies...all looked so unfamiliar and exotic! Lol, and the price of meat...dont even start me!...

Depends on your tastes - we are not Bisto/Marmite/Tetley/HP sauce types. We love new and interesting food, and in this respect both Coles and Woolies kick the botties of all our regular UK supermarkets. Except maybe Waitrose!

Agree 100%. If you're a Tesco person, Aus isn't for you.

However, in the UK I preferred Waitrose...and I like Woolworths/Coles down here for the same reasons.

By the way, you mentioned cheeses. Try some of the Tasmanian ones...Camembert, some of their own blue cheeses for example...they're rate up there with anything I had in the UK.

I have noticed the Tassie cheese ranges, and looks like we can live quite happily without expensive imported European cheese! In fact we were using Swiss slices by the brand I can't bring myself to name (think Alf Garnett racist patter) and they were lovely for a cheap Aussie brand! And I've recently become a bit addicted to goat cheese, and spotted a spreadable version. Lunch sandwiches are going to get quite interesting - my go-to spready cheese in the UK was laughing cow! Bo-ring!

What would you spend on groceries for a family of 4 per week would you think?

We are trying to work out expenses because of a job offer DH has had, so any ideas would be welcome. Thanks.

I'll let someone else answer that as we're nowhere near doing a full week's shop in one go yet, and I have no idea what one might buy for children and how much it would cost :o)

Hubby and I whizzed through Coles in Chermside in a jetlag haze on our first evening picking up some starter groceries and laundry stuff. I was so distracted by the range of stuff, especially cheeses, it took a bit longer than it should have! Prices were fine, about what we'd pay on a Sainsbury's trip. Some things far cheaper actually - 1ltr of excellent ice cream for $5, better than Ben & Jerrys on offer!

Then today after meeting with NAB, we spent a good half hour browsing in Woolworths in the CBD. Fascinating range - I was taken with the scone loaf for toasting, and the huge selection of cereal bars (was a cereal bar addict in the UK!). I was knocked out by the size of the lemons - they look way too big for my newly bought lemon squeezer! Might have to buy an orange squeezer to accommodate them!

I wish you hadnt told me about the cheap icecream lol i'll be over the now! :laugh:

We are trying to work out expenses because of a job offer DH has had, so any ideas would be welcome. Thanks.

Well, we're a family of 3 and like cooking from scratch so we buy far more fresh ingredients than processed stuff.

We tend to have one big shop at the beginning of the month (stocking up on things like toilet paper, cleaning stuff, etc. etc. plus filling the freezer) which is around $250. Other weeks tend to be anything between $80 and $150 depending on what's on the menu--probably nearer the $100 end most times.

Well, we're a family of 3 and like cooking from scratch so we buy far more fresh ingredients than processed stuff.

We tend to have one big shop at the beginning of the month (stocking up on things like toilet paper, cleaning stuff, etc. etc. plus filling the freezer) which is around $250. Other weeks tend to be anything between $80 and $150 depending on what's on the menu--probably nearer the $100 end most times.

Thanks a lot. We are the same - cook mainly from scratch. I'm a vegetarian so don't buy very much meat so that might help a bit. We eat lots of pasta so hoping that isn't too expensive!

Pasta, particularly the supermarket own brands of the common stuff like spaghetti, is dirt cheap. I bought 500 grams of spag my last shop and it was 89 cents. Even the expensive name brands are $2-3 a pack.

Veg is also good value if you stick to what's "in season" (and the seasons are long in Aus). It only gets expensive if you try to buy something shipped halfway round the world--like South American asparagus. There's usually plenty of Aussie stuff to choose from.

Every locale is different but my experience is that it's really worth visiting your local greengrocer or farmers market. The supermarkets are okay but the quality and freshness at our greengrocer is amazing...he can usually tell us when and where something was picked. His prices are about the same as the supermarket--except he invariably either throws in some extras or knocks a lot off the price at the till. My wife was in there this morning to buy some apples...and was given two huge ripe mangos "because they need to be used today". Delicious they were too! I hope you're as lucky with a local veg shop.

...and just to be offensive, too bad you don't eat meat because that's the big bargain here. Even on my fixed UK pension, I've had more steak here in three years than I could afford in 30 years in the UK--and it's way more tender too!

Strange, maybe that Coles is a different to ours.....

Guest Beth101

Hi - We're a family of 4 and spend around $200 a week on groceries, including all the extra trips to buy milk/bread etc.

I find it worthwhile going to the discount chemists to buy toiletries, generally around 25% cheaper than supermarkets.