Karratha & Surrounds

Guest disneymumcork

Guest disneymumcork

Hi All,

I have searched around the forum for info on Karratha but most of it seems old.

We are contemplating a move to WA early next year and not sure what to do about living... Will we base ourselves in Perth and FIFO? I doubt it, I would love the desert living in Karratha so I's say we'll all go straight there regardless of costs, besides I don't think I could leave himself for a month at a time:no:

I have read up about schools, weather issues and the 'lonesome' living but one thing I didn't see mentioned anywhere is horses... Do they have them up there? (That sounds awful but I'm sure you know what I mean!) I'm big into horses so would be an easy decision if they were easily accessible up there.

Next step is to look into work for me.... maybe :wink:

Guest disneymumcork
Hi All,

We are contemplating a move to WA early next year and not sure what to do about living... Will we base ourselves in Perth and FIFO? I doubt it, I would love the desert living in Karratha so I's say we'll all go straight there regardless of costs, besides I don't think I could leave himself for a month at a time:no:

I have read up about schools, weather issues and the 'lonesome' living but one thing I didn't see mentioned anywhere is horses... Do they have them up there? (That sounds awful but I'm sure you know what I mean!) I'm big into horses so would be an easy decision if they were easily accessible up there.

Ok... so it would seem my question about horses is at a loss.... lots of views but no replies. So to try and get some info how about generalising it abit.

What hobby/extra curriculars is there up in the Karratha & surrounding areas?

Ok... so it would seem my question about horses is at a loss.... lots of views but no replies. So to try and get some info how about generalising it abit.

What hobby/extra curriculars is there up in the Karratha & surrounding areas?

I lived there a few years ago and there were no horses or riding clubs that I know of. There is no surrounding areas, it is quite isolated, Once you leave the shire of Roebourne theres nothing for a few hundred k's. To the north you have Point Samson, not much there except houses and a beach, then theres Wickham, houses but no beach and Roebourne just houses and not the sort of place you'd want to spend time in. There are sporting clubs, and a lot of people have boats so go fishing and visit the nearby islands. Theres a cinema complex, public pool and a shopping centre. There are a few natural water holes that are good for a day out for a swim and a barbie. To drive to Perth it's about a 14 hour drive, thats only stopping for fuel.

Have a look at the link.

http://www.roebourne.wa.gov.au/

I've had to re-edit this post due to short term memory issues. There are horses around - there is a thriving horse racing circuit in the winter months, which is good fun even if you're not really a racing fan - try a google search for Nor West Jockey club (its something like nwjc.com.au). You could also try googling on "Pilbara horse riding" to see what else is out there.

Other than that:

The cinema closed down some time back. The library at the Walkington closed down in March due to rain/flood damage and its not certain that it will ever re-open.Unless you're in company housing it's going to be tough - house prices are extortionate - expect to pay at least $600k for an extremely ordinary, badly built and not very large house or rent for at least $1000/week. Flights to Perth can be had for $185 each way, but the cheapest I can see for the next month is $325 one way. Woolworths, Coles and KMart are all good - other shops are ho-hum at best. Service i.e car repairs is pretty bad and expensive. Internet access is very good and you can get satellite TV from Foxtel (great if you like 'On The Busses' and Hogan's Heroes). Couple of half decent pubs and mostly 'not very good' restaurants (although there is an excellent Thai restaurant in nearby Dampier). Its OK for pre-school and primary school kids - don't think its fair to bring older kids here as there isn't enough to keep them busy.

Winter is mild and good for camping, summer is hot (with cyclones). Karrajini is about 4/5 hours away as is Exmouth and the fabulous Ningaloo reef. Broome is a 8 hour drive.

Guest disneymumcork

Ok......

Thanks for the info guys, I'm not sure how I feel about it all now. I understand that the 'nearby' towns are not so nearby and that it is a desert lifestyle but it certainly sounds quieter than I thought. We have a lot more research to do before we decide. The housing expense we have accepted and have factored in approx $60k per annum to our budget projections for this, which is mental money! Plenty of thinking over Christmas to be done.

Hi All,

I think many people who have a background in FIFO lifestyle may steer you towards the moving to Karratha option if your married with kids. I worked FIFO in the UK for 8 years and missed a great deal of the first 5 years of my 2 eledest sons growing up. Although Karratha is maybe an aquired taste I feel its ideal if everyone can be together as a family/couple at the end of the working day. I will be 2/2 FIFO in Karratha for few trips until I organise a house/schools and even that makes me feel hard done by since I have been away from that lifestyle for 2.5 years. Its a lifestyle choice that can work to help set you up finacially but as a long term option I got the feeling most people were trapped by the money and the need to earn at a certain level which is understandable when you work so hard......you want to compensate with a good lifestyle. I think gving Karratha a shot is brave in some respects but perhaps not as off the wall as many in the cities make out.

Good luck in what ever you do.

• 3 months later...

Hi there.Just wondering did you make the decision to move to Karratha?We did the FIFO thing years ago when my eldest was a toddler and its manageable.Has its pros and cons but we have decided to all go to Karratha now to be a family at the end of the day, as Madasacutsnake mentioned.I fly in with the kids in two weeks.If there is anyone up there I am trying to get some opinions,advice etc on living there.I still have to sort a primary school.Thanks!

• 4 years later...

Hi - Long time lurker but first time poster,

I thought I would revive this old thread to see if any families had made the move recently up to Karratha given the down turn. We are considering a move from Perth as hubby has gotten a recent FIFO job and we are struggling with him being away (we all miss him way to much). Seems as though the downturn has cooled local rental prices and as we have only been in Perth a short time we figure it makes sense to make a move North before we get to settled. Besides we really dont like the Perth - still expensive and way too big for my liking. We are currently selling our home of many years in Albany (which we miss SO SO much and would move back in a heart beat if we could) so we may be able to purchase also if the price is right.

Anyhow just wondering what peoples thoughts are? Hopefully its not a ghost town these days and still plenty of families in town. My girls would die at the prospect of not having any friends to sing and dance with!! LOL

I suspect the place is way quieter now as a result of the downturn .

We lived there for 18 months it's actually an OK place to raise a young family. The kids absolutely loved the place as they knew everyone and there is a really good community spirit. We had the chance to go back this time around but chose FIFO as the Perth metro area suits us better for a whole host of reasons. We made life long friends in Ktown though and I would recommend it for an adventure. The height of summer is tough at times though, it's both hot and can be extremely humid into the bargain.

I return to KTA for my first FIFO trip around mid April, FIFO takes it's toll on family life in the long run, we will review at Christmas time and if it's not working look at other options.

Best of luck what ever you decide!

Thank you so much for your advice Rockyrocks & Bobj. Yes FIFO choice is not simple as there are so many factors to consider for ones own personal situation. For us whilst our our kids are still young we just felt they needed to be with their dad. We expect it to be only for a few years as hubbies job seems reasonable secure as the chap he replaced had been in the same role for nearly 20 years! Really just wanted to hear that their is a good community there - after all you only get out what you put in. Looks like there is work opportunities for me in my field after talking to so folk. We love camping so lots of new places to explore no doubt also!

Archived