Perth cost of living

Guest chrisphysio

Guest chrisphysio

Hi,

Please can anyone provide some info on cost of living in relation to salaries for Perth and the surrounding area, including mentioning what are the nice areas for living (apartment rentals) initialy and those areas to avoid.

Currently working in Dublin as a physiotherapist and just received my visa so ready to move within 2-3 months.

I gather that government physio jobs in Perth can be around the AUD 80K mark so would appreciate how this type of salary will relate to the cost of living. Not expecting to be spending lots each night, more so work mon-fri with enjoyment at weekend, mostly outdoors doing sports etc.

Have heard that house prices and cost of living have gone 'through the roof' in recent times but that it's possible houses prices coudl drop in the near future.

Any info would be great

thanks

Chris

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey chris, someone who knows should be along to answer your questions soon. from what i can see on here theres plenty of people on 80k amd they seem to manage find. its all about how you live your life. some things like food are more expensive than the UK but there are other cheaper things like petrol and obviously a lot of free activities like BBQ, swimming etc.

not sure about house prices though.

you'll be fine :)

Guest guest59652

Physiochris - you will be fine. If you don't like the extravagent things in life too much you won't give yourself too much grief. Lots of free things to do in all the cities if you love the outdoors.

As you say cost of living is biggie and you will appreciate European value for food and some of the things taken for granted.

If you want to see other places in Oz thats expensive too. Flights are starting to go through the roof and if you want to go overseas from here thats getting high too. It's like everywhere in the world at the moment - worlds gone mad fella....

Guest guest59652

Hey stacey - flown out of Adelaide in the past with tiger airways - who now do not fly out of Adelaide now. There prices were more comparable to what we are used to but nothing like the prices Ryanair and easyJet offer to get us to different countries and cultures for a fraction of the price. Fuel is going up and so is everything in australia so flights are no different. I guess its something to get used to, but tazzing away to different areas of oz can be expensive unless its for work and your lucky enough for your company to pay.

As for other Perth prices hopefully so Perth residents will come on and help Chris out.

Flight from brisse to perth which is like from the UK to Dubai in terms of time flying only cost me about £100. Again Sydney to melbourne cost £60 then melbourne to ballina £60.

Thats as cheapre than asia. To fly that distance from the Uk to dubai would cost £500.

I think some of these expats have prices of the UK when they last lived there maybe over 5 years ago or even just 2-3 years ago.

Things have gone up and when you do book a flight in the UK, you then get hammered another £30 to take a suitcase etc... just like buying insurance, fully comp is not fully comp as you once knew it, you need to buy all the add ons which will cost £800 plus for a beemer.

So the cost of living in the UK I would say is the same as OZ when you look at all aspects of life.

I can imagine however its a cost to re buy everything new when you first move over.

If your house burned down in the UK and you werent covered (not taken out the extra's) you would find it just the same expense to re buy everything in the UK.

Same as a divorce - trust me I know:laugh:

Hey Chris,

Dublin (Ireland not UK) is expensive when you take the cost of living in Dublin to Australia and what you'll earn its on par some things are more expensive but some things aren't, plus you'll have the weather. What part of Dublin are you from I'm a Tallaght lad meself, I'm home next week for the week so if you want I can probably meet you one evening for an aul chat.

Hats

Oh dear, i thought flights between the other states were meant to be quite cheap

Hi Stacey, for some examples so you can get a feel for the prices yourself as a percentage of wage I just checked current prices (one way including tax) using cost of living prices (ie 2.2 rather than xchange rate for people who live here):

Brisbane->Sydney (1000km) = 31 pounds stirling

Brisbane->Melbourne (1700km) = 27 pounds

Brisbane->Auckland = 67 pounds

Brisbane->Kuala Lumpur = 122 pounds

Brisbane->Bali = 126 pounds

Brisbane->Jakarta = 166 pounds

Brisbane->Vietnam = 176 pounds

Brisbane->Japan = 217 pounds

Brisbane->Hawaii = 262 pounds

Brisbane-> Los Angeles = 317 pounds

Hi Stacey, for some examples so you can get a feel for the prices yourself as a percentage of wage I just checked current prices (one way including tax) using cost of living prices (ie 2.2 rather than xchange rate for people who live here):

Brisbane->Sydney (1000km) = 31 pounds stirling

Brisbane->Melbourne (1700km) = 27 pounds

Brisbane->Auckland = 67 pounds

Brisbane->Kuala Lumpur = 122 pounds

Brisbane->Bali = 126 pounds

Brisbane->Jakarta = 166 pounds

Brisbane->Vietnam = 176 pounds

Brisbane->Japan = 217 pounds

Brisbane->Hawaii = 262 pounds

Brisbane-> Los Angeles = 317 pounds

2.2......? more like 1.4....

Cheers for that fish. I was just thinking if i come id like to visit queensland, sydney and melbourne on a holiday or shortbreak. I guess i just assumed they would be cheap but those prices dont look bad at all

Flight distance from Perth to Brisbane is the same as London to Cairo so it costs a bit more to travel Australia from Perth as I'm sure you know.

Cheers for that fish. I was just thinking if i come id like to visit queensland, sydney and melbourne on a holiday or shortbreak. I guess i just assumed they would be cheap but those prices dont look bad at all

Check out flightcentre.com.au for cost of flights, flying out of perth on return tickets to other parts of australia is more expensive due to the distance. you can pay 220 pounds for a return to gold coast, this is just an example.

Try www.webjet.com.au for flights, I found these helpful for internal flights.

I agree about comparing $ with £. If you're earning $ you need to stop yourself converting back to £. If you take a pint of imported beer as an example though... I was on $47/hr and a pint of Stella was $10, and in the UK getting paid £15/hr with a pint of Stella being around £2.90. It's all relative, if you get what I'm trying to say. Obviously some things are more expensive and some things are cheaper so I think it evens itself out overall. I'd rather have to watch every penny I spend and live in Perth than live comfortably in the UK, it's that bad here!

Don't buy from vodka from the bar. I paid $16 for a vodka and coke in Sydney the day I arrived so obviously converted it back to £... £10 for a bloody vodka and coke!!

nah ive just looked at coles website, havent even thought about bars, i assume it'll probably be a fortune. it was the same in america, silly dave was buying vodkas at the airport, total muppet!

a bottle of vodka should last me a long time, or i might go through a bottle of white wine now and again. Im so sad but i like to have a look the supermarkets online to price things over there lol