Advice Needed for Engineering Relevant Work Experience Assessment

Guest ashley Dillon

Guest ashley Dillon

I'm in the process of Applying for my Skills Assessment by Engineers Australia including a Relevant Work Experience Assessment.

On the Engineers Australia website, I've seen the excel spreadsheet which lists the summary work experience. However it also talks about having a more detailed "endorsed" document which should detail exact periods of work, specific duties etc. which needs to come on Company Headed paper.

I'm lucky to have worked for the same employer for over 10 years and for a lot of that time I have worked predominently for one manager who is personally willing to assist me with a statement but i am reluctant to "officially" inform the personnel department by asking for a formal company statement until our Visa is either well underway or granted.

Can anyone out there advise me on their experience of RWE statements or possibly share a copy of one?

My specific queries are

(a) typical content of a statement

(b) who it needs to come from? I.e. does it need to come from the personnel department or can it come from a direct manager provided it is on headed paper?

The company I work for is a large multi-national and we have little contact with the personnel department so the person writing the statement from personnel is unlikely to know me and will just copy facts from the Company payroll system etc.

Your help much appreciated

Ashley:hug:

Guest Kate10

Hi Ashley,

My husband is a civil engineer and I did his application for skills assessment for Engineers' Australia. He got credit for all of his work experience and we later got the visa.

In order to avoid duplicating work, I did up references that complied with the DIAC requirements for work experience evidence. We then used those for our EA assessment, and could then reuse them when applying for the visa.

If you go to the DIAC website you will find information on what is required but this is essentially all you need to know in order to prepare the reference:

"Employment references must:

• be written on the official letterhead of the company or government department providing the

reference;

• The letterhead should indicate clearly the full address of the company and any telephone, fax

numbers, e-mail and website addresses;

• The name and position of the person authorised to sign the employment reference should be

typed or stamped below that person’s signature;

• The contact telephone number of the person writing the reference should be included in the

letter;

• The letter should indicate the exact period of employment (including whether permanent or

temporary, full or part-time), position(s) held, the 5 main duties undertaken and the salary

earned – positions should not be described by generic titles (eg. research officer, public

servant) but according to the nature of the duties undertaken (eg. research chemist, accounts

clerk); and

• A payslip from your current employment should also be included – this is especially

important from applicants working in government departments"

My husband claimed 10 years work experience (he had more but we couldn't be bothered to get the references!) so we prepared references exactly as described above for all of that time, then gave them to his immediate bosses in each employer to sign. DIAC and EA are not interested in getting some generic thing from HR or personnel - they want a reference signed by someone who worked with you directly. If you are later going to apply to EA to be registered on NPER you will need your direct boss to sign off on your CV too - in other words to write a letter saying to that the best of his/her knowledge information and belief what is set out in your CV is true and accurate. Your boss should then sign each page of your CV. I found it best to get all of this stuff up front as it made the visa process very easy - I uploaded everything we had submitted to EA to DIAC when applying for the visa and it was all accepted immediately without any queries being raised.

Hope that is some help to you Ashley!

Kate

Hi Kate10,

I found that your husband is very experienced.I became interested to find out something more about skills assessment cause I am a civil engineer too.I dont have much experience approximately 2 years,but as internship and before graduation.I am a bit worried about that assessment because if it is failed it can destroy my all my dream.Namely,I contacted Engineers Australia and they told me that is possible to apply and to use some projects from my Uni,but I am concern about that because I dont know anyone who was in same boat. I would be appreciated if you(your husband) can give me more info about that how they are tough in assessing that and are they flexible for some cases.I know that your husband is more more experienced ,but maybe he can give me some advice or anything that can help me.I have written one career episode and now I am doing next one,but all the time worried.

Thanks a lot and wish you all the best

Guest Kate10

Hi Shikac,

Unfortunately I'm not sure if I'll be able to help you as I think your circumstances may be different to my husband's. The skills assessment part of my husband's application was dealt with automatically under the Washington Accord. My husband's university degree comes under the Washington Accord so all he had to do to get skills assessed as a Civil Engineer (23311) was to send a copy of his degree and his university transcript. Does you degree fall under the Washington Accord? If not then you are seeking recognition under the non-accredited route and I don't know anything about that I'm afraid. I'm sure someone else on the site has done it and they will be able to help you.

Separately from the skills assessment my husband needed to get his work experience assessed in order to claim points from DIAC for work experience. This sort of assessment is different from the non-accredited degree assessment I refer to above and it is very straight forward. As I mentioned in my post my husband provided references from former employers, a completed work experience summary (which is really just a list of who he worked for and the dates of his employment), a copy of his CV, and that was that. Engineers' Australia did not ask any questions and the application took about 3/4 weeks to process.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Kate.

Hi Shikac,

Unfortunately I'm not sure if I'll be able to help you as I think your circumstances may be different to my husband's. The skills assessment part of my husband's application was dealt with automatically under the Washington Accord. My husband's university degree comes under the Washington Accord so all he had to do to get skills assessed as a Civil Engineer (23311) was to send a copy of his degree and his university transcript. Does you degree fall under the Washington Accord? If not then you are seeking recognition under the non-accredited route and I don't know anything about that I'm afraid. I'm sure someone else on the site has done it and they will be able to help you.

Separately from the skills assessment my husband needed to get his work experience assessed in order to claim points from DIAC for work experience. This sort of assessment is different from the non-accredited degree assessment I refer to above and it is very straight forward. As I mentioned in my post my husband provided references from former employers, a completed work experience summary (which is really just a list of who he worked for and the dates of his employment), a copy of his CV, and that was that. Engineers' Australia did not ask any questions and the application took about 3/4 weeks to process.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Kate.

hi Kate,

thanks very much anyway.Yes,you are in right I have to do assessment for non-acredited University,actually process is more complicated with writing 3 career episodes and all other documents.I hope that I will find some answers on this site.

Thanks a lot

• 2 years later...
Hi Ashley,

My husband is a civil engineer and I did his application for skills assessment for Engineers' Australia. He got credit for all of his work experience and we later got the visa.

In order to avoid duplicating work, I did up references that complied with the DIAC requirements for work experience evidence. We then used those for our EA assessment, and could then reuse them when applying for the visa.

If you go to the DIAC website you will find information on what is required but this is essentially all you need to know in order to prepare the reference:

"Employment references must:

• be written on the official letterhead of the company or government department providing the

reference;

• The letterhead should indicate clearly the full address of the company and any telephone, fax

numbers, e-mail and website addresses;

• The name and position of the person authorised to sign the employment reference should be

typed or stamped below that person’s signature;

• The contact telephone number of the person writing the reference should be included in the

letter;

• The letter should indicate the exact period of employment (including whether permanent or

temporary, full or part-time), position(s) held, the 5 main duties undertaken and the salary

earned – positions should not be described by generic titles (eg. research officer, public

servant) but according to the nature of the duties undertaken (eg. research chemist, accounts

clerk); and

• A payslip from your current employment should also be included – this is especially

important from applicants working in government departments"

My husband claimed 10 years work experience (he had more but we couldn't be bothered to get the references!) so we prepared references exactly as described above for all of that time, then gave them to his immediate bosses in each employer to sign. DIAC and EA are not interested in getting some generic thing from HR or personnel - they want a reference signed by someone who worked with you directly. If you are later going to apply to EA to be registered on NPER you will need your direct boss to sign off on your CV too - in other words to write a letter saying to that the best of his/her knowledge information and belief what is set out in your CV is true and accurate. Your boss should then sign each page of your CV. I found it best to get all of this stuff up front as it made the visa process very easy - I uploaded everything we had submitted to EA to DIAC when applying for the visa and it was all accepted immediately without any queries being raised.

Hope that is some help to you Ashley!

Kate

HI Kate,

This reply is very much informative. I am in process to migrate to Australia.

I have got a positive outcome for my CDR. However I have never assessed my work experience at EA as I had not completed 3 years by the time I was submitting the CDR. Now I have completed 3years and planning to claim points for that. My agent says no need of assessing the work experience at EA and I can claim points by just updating it on my EOI. I am in a doubt about that. Is my agent correct?

HI Kate,

This reply is very much informative. I am in process to migrate to Australia.

I have got a positive outcome for my CDR. However I have never assessed my work experience at EA as I had not completed 3 years by the time I was submitting the CDR. Now I have completed 3years and planning to claim points for that. My agent says no need of assessing the work experience at EA and I can claim points by just updating it on my EOI. I am in a doubt about that. Is my agent correct?

Hi sathyajithsr,

this is very similar circumstance as mine, in difference that my experience I am gaining here in AUS now. I am also interested in question that you asked so does immigration will approve experience if it is not assessed by EA. as Kate was on this topic while ago, not sure if she wold be able to give us an answer, but hopefully someone else will. Finger crossed!!

Hi sathyajithsr,this is very similar circumstance as mine, in difference that my experience I am gaining here in AUS now. I am also interested in question that you asked so does immigration will approve experience if it is not assessed by EA. as Kate was on this topic while ago, not sure if she wold be able to give us an answer, but hopefully someone else will. Finger crossed!!
Yeah. We'll see :)

I contacted Engineers Australia regarding this and their response was,

""It's an optional assessment. However if you wish to claim points for work experience it's advisable to do it."

why don't you too contact them and share the response dear friend?

• 5 years later...
On 02/06/2014 at 14:11, sathyajithsr said:

can you please tell me about experience assessment, recently, i got positive assessment from EA, i used my job experience 2 CDR, but i didn't  apply before for experience assessment can you please guide me .

thanks