457 visas positives and negatives.

Guest guest59652

Right ok, thankyou. Sounds like it wont be for us. Our other option is a 115 - remaining reletive as my OH parents already live there but its a long time frame to actually get it all processed and moved. Are there any visas you could recommend?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
cal N gary is'nt there a 2 yr wait for centrelink though - ie 2 years afteractivating the 176 visa

Only for certain benefits, mainly unemployement type benefit. You can get Rent assistance, Family benefit part A and B and child care allowance from the word go.

Cal x

WE emigrated on a 457, had no other choice, sold the house, gave up everything knowing the company was a good solid one. We wanted Pr but it was not an immediate option and as DH was inhouse traind we needed to wait out the 2 yrs.

What we did not realise is that things crop up and I had a medical issue last year which could of meant failure for our PR. I was very very lucky, it rectified with no other issues and has not caused an problem for us, the medical doctor was happy and so was I, but it could of so easily gone a different way. I could not of recovered or it could easily of left us with long term problems.

It made me realise how risky it is, expecially as we had 4 kids with us and was restarting.

I never wanted to come on a temp but was left with no option, I will never regret it though, if we had only the 4 yrs and had to go back, it would be 4 yrs we would never of forgotten and an amazing experience for all of us, life is way too short to spend wondering about the what if's

:)

WE came with our eyes wide open, all in agreement and knowing it could possibly be for only 4 yrs if things went wrong.

We all took that chance.

Its sure a risk but for some a risk worth taking and their only option.

Guest guest59652

Great posts - this thread is throwing up some interesting issues. I agree with a lot of people about degree of risk as i say until it goes wrong people dont know the reality of a 457 visa. Let them smile and be merry in the fact they can get to the promised land.

Its a quick fix - if you can't get the points then its not fair to jump the queue over those who go through the rigours of ielts, paperwork. Yes it might be a risk but its an achievement to get pr, one to be proud of. i always thought id jumped the queue on the 457.

It's interesting yes it is guaranteed employment id rather have chosen my job in australia like this time rather than over the phone not seeing the and assessing the company. essentially on a 457 unless you come on a tourist visa first seeing where your going to live and work is difficult.

I can see why people are going down the 457 route when there is no construction work in ireland its a matter of going where the work is - but on a 457 u only have a finite time and if you cant get pr you'll have to go back to ireland to work anyway.

Interesting points - i hope these threads are helping the 'go for it' gang but some of the more conservative posters have seen or been involved in 457 horror stories and they stick firmly in ones mind.

If you don't get the points for permanency why is it fair to make it on a 457 - those who have waited 3-4 years - there are plenty on this site must be waiting for a reason rather than jumping aboard the 457 brigade.

A 457 is exactly what it says on the packet, a long term temporary business visa. If you come over on it (and we have BTW) you must be 100% aware of all the eventualities! Like many before us, PR was not an option and we chose to come here as OH was facing redundancy in UK. We really didn't have a lot to part with.... Our house in UK is rented because of the precarious nature of our visa. If all goes belly up at least we will have paid part of our mortgage and can return home to pick up the pieces. For many the 457 does lead onto PR with no problems, so we shouldn't really try to scare people who will be reading these posts... although of course if you are a responsible adult you will have read all the small print connected to the 457 in the first place. We are trying to get round the 2 year wait and apply somehow for PR now, if it doesn't work we will try again in 2 years time, and if THAT doesn't work then we already have plans in place for returning to UK. I think this is the only sensible way you can come over here on a 457. It is not for everyone, but it can be positive.

Guest guest59652

3FatCats great post. I don't think its trying to make people scared its trying to make people aware. The smallprint indeed should be read. I just thought it won't happen to me and was carefree like a lot of folks. If its the only option then great - I have a degree, sat the ielts, did it all whilst on a 457 - whether it works or not a pr is an achievement - a 457 is a short cut make no ends about it. If you are on a 457 but can't make the points or become permanent then i guess 457 is what it has to be.

It is not designed to be a negative post - just to make people aware. We have had favourable and less favourable responses which is excellent and a balanced forum has been provided.

Good luck to everyone. Muchos love to you all.

Guest guest59652

I agree - would be useful to see. if it gives people 1 or 2 years or 6 or 7 years and it works all good. nobody can take away time and experiences away. statistics would probably provide an objective means to add further to this forum

We do not feel we jumped the queue. We spent the last 15 + yrs wanting to come here, had been enquiring and trying to sort it 8 yrs prior.

I wanted to give my kids a better life and be reunited with my best friend who is more like a sister. My husband had the points in his old job but had moved to a new job and had been in it for the last 10 yrs. He would of had the points, but the company trains all in house trained, rather than the actual certificates/paperwork, so although his job is specalised and he works damn hard and always had, we were screwed by the system it worked by.

We got the 457 opportunity and grabbed it with both hands and have applied and got PR as soon as we could.

He is 43 this year and time left was short, for our window of opportunity.

I feel blessed we got the chance and did not see it as a quick fix, but gave us the lifeline we needed. I had spent several years earlier in tears with the fact we had no chance and we could not afford for my husband to return to the job which gave us the points as it was far less paid and we had too many debts and a family to provide for.

The company needed him, he is highly trained and highly specalised in his field, earns a damn good wage and works hard for it so just because he idndt have the qualifications on paperwork he couldnt apply! Yet it is on the points list, he just did not have the paperwork to prove his skills, due to inhouse trained....yet his old job, less specalised, less paid and less in demand did.

If we 'jumped the queue' in your opinion, I really do not care. Its my families future and we were lucky, we got here, thats far more important than 'how' we achieved it.

It is not always black and white and 'jumping' the system.

Great posts - this thread is throwing up some interesting issues. I agree with a lot of people about degree of risk as i say until it goes wrong people dont know the reality of a 457 visa. Let them smile and be merry in the fact they can get to the promised land.

Its a quick fix - if you can't get the points then its not fair to jump the queue over those who go through the rigours of ielts, paperwork. Yes it might be a risk but its an achievement to get pr, one to be proud of. i always thought id jumped the queue on the 457.

It's interesting yes it is guaranteed employment id rather have chosen my job in australia like this time rather than over the phone not seeing the and assessing the company. essentially on a 457 unless you come on a tourist visa first seeing where your going to live and work is difficult.

I can see why people are going down the 457 route when there is no construction work in ireland its a matter of going where the work is - but on a 457 u only have a finite time and if you cant get pr you'll have to go back to ireland to work anyway.

Interesting points - i hope these threads are helping the 'go for it' gang but some of the more conservative posters have seen or been involved in 457 horror stories and they stick firmly in ones mind.

If you don't get the points for permanency why is it fair to make it on a 457 - those who have waited 3-4 years - there are plenty on this site must be waiting for a reason rather than jumping aboard the 457 brigade.

We came on a 457 and always came with the intention of applying for PR after two years. Our situation was that hubby was offered a job with the same company that he has worked with since he was 16 (before, through and after uni), and as our children were very young at the time (not at school) and due to the fact that his company wanted us out here asap, we came on the 457. We have since bought a house and for all intents and purposes have settled here. However, we did have it written in to his contract that they would sponsor us for PR, and we had full confidence that even in the event of an economic slowdown, that his job would be safe.

We are now in the process of applying for our 856, and don't see any reason why it should be refused. If it is refused, then we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

We too moved with the same company and checked they would sponser us for PR, after the two yrs, before we came :)

The 457 worried me so much but they needed him quickly and that was the only option at the time and they were paying, they were going to sponser him well before the two years after we arrived, but we waited the two yrs as the skill assessment stuff is a nightmare!

We came on a 457 and always came with the intention of applying for PR after two years. Our situation was that hubby was offered a job with the same company that he has worked with since he was 16 (before, through and after uni), and as our children were very young at the time (not at school) and due to the fact that his company wanted us out here asap, we came on the 457. We have since bought a house and for all intents and purposes have settled here. However, we did have it written in to his contract that they would sponsor us for PR, and we had full confidence that even in the event of an economic slowdown, that his job would be safe.

We are now in the process of applying for our 856, and don't see any reason why it should be refused. If it is refused, then we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

Guest guest59652

i think there are quite a few positive posts on here now which is all good - its expected most people who use pio are in australia, a fair few on 457's they will rave about it. If there are any horror stories to add balance because if we are too positive the 457 will start being the preferred option for folks rather than sitting it out doing ielts, going point hunting etc

We too moved with the same company and checked they would sponser us for PR, after the two yrs, before we came :)

The 457 worried me so much but they needed him quickly and that was the only option at the time and they were paying, they were going to sponser him well before the two years after we arrived, but we waited the two yrs as the skill assessment stuff is a nightmare!

We've been here since Feb '09, and have the paperwork/medicals etc done, but we are waiting for the High Commission to sort out a problem with my passport before it is lodged. Must be a nice feeling to know you are permanent!

i think there are quite a few positive posts on here now which is all good - its expected most people who use pio are in australia, a fair few on 457's they will rave about it. If there are any horror stories to add balance because if we are too positive the 457 will start being the preferred option for folks rather than sitting it out doing ielts, going point hunting etc

I can understand what your saying, the 457 for us was our ONLY choice, we would never of chosen to do it that way if we had a choice. I actually think its a much harder option as if you need to go back and do not want to its so much harder, expecially if you have given everything up as we had.

So much can go wrong and tyou may have to go back. I think for sanity, if you can, get PR before comming but sometimes it is NOT an option. As long as people are aware of the risks, I was aware of the risks and spent the last 2 yrs worrying and scared to really settle, to be honest, its so much easier sitting in the UK and waiting a few yrs for your PR, its so much more worrying, when you have already gave everything up and sat worrying, watching your kids root and not knowing if your going to have to uproot them again.

Its easy to prepare and say it will be OK and you will all accept it, its far harder in reality.

Its been a tough few yrs, it is not a easy option at all its a damn hard option if you really want PR. Health issues can fall on you in the blink of an eye and you have no rights.

I wish everyone comming here the best but for some it wont work out either with PR or Temp, its the way it goes. PR doesn't gurantee you anything either, jobs are hard to get sometimes and some return due to finances.

If you really want to come here though and temp is the only way, I would say grab it, life is too short and what an experience a lot fo you will have but remember, you may have to return at the end of it. Its so much easier to accept that when your not living it, its much harder to get your head around when you are.

Its a HUGE relief, the kids are happy, my son has his first girlfriend and was so worried. We feel so blessed ...

I wish you all the best with your application xx

We've been here since Feb '09, and have the paperwork/medicals etc done, but we are waiting for the High Commission to sort out a problem with my passport before it is lodged. Must be a nice feeling to know you are permanent!

Guest guest59652

good on you LKC - good on you. I am quite animated about this subject as had a bad experience and have learnt from it. If I help one person avoid my mistake by getting a more concrete contract and knowing the chances of bad eventualities to make the risks lower i'll be happy. For people doing well on the 457 then great, my hats off to you i struggled to live with the insecurities of it. I am younger than a lot of the posters with less experience of life, but i managed to get pr probably because of my degree. As i said really pleased this forum is dispelling some of my myths - as i say its positives and negatives. Positives prob outweighing negatives at the moment - need a few more negatives to portray a balanced argument.

cheers

Its a HUGE relief, the kids are happy, my son has his first girlfriend and was so worried. We feel so blessed ...

I wish you all the best with your application xx

Thank you! Would you mind if I ask how long your PR application took to approve? I presume that you went for the 856?

I suppose the one advantage that the 457 has is that you do have a job to come to. I'm not sure I would have been so keen to come had there been any uncertainty about oh finding a job.

Guest guest59652

correct fairystar. returning to the uk is not failure either - most people do not get to work and live abroad for any period of timeand it can never be taken away. a lot of it is due to individual differences and circumstances sounds like you were relieved when you became permanent. good stuff

It only took 12 days I think..

Thank you! Would you mind if I ask how long your PR application took to approve? I presume that you went for the 856?

I suppose the one advantage that the 457 has is that you do have a job to come to. I'm not sure I would have been so keen to come had there been any uncertainty about oh finding a job.

Right ok, thankyou. Sounds like it wont be for us. Our other option is a 115 - remaining reletive as my OH parents already live there but its a long time frame to actually get it all processed and moved. Are there any visas you could recommend?

Are you sure you qualify for the 115? you and your OH need to meet both of the following requirements:

• you have a brother, sister, parent (or step-equivalent) who is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen usually resident in Australia

• you and your partner have no brothers, sisters, non-dependent children, parents (or step-equivalents) other than those in Australia.

Guest guest59652

you can get pr and then apply for jobs if you dont do the police checks and medicals to early. a good year to get a job and settle things at home is ok. remember as quick as you can get a 457 it can go in the blink of an eye too. with pr its permanent and gives options. with 457 you can only work in the stated occupation for the stated person (the boss who ultimately is keeping you in the country and dont worry they will remind you of that if your enjoying it too much just to keep you on ur toes).

Archived