Any UK teachers with GTP ever got a 457 in OZ?

Guest CazRoma3210

Guest CazRoma3210

Has any teacher from the UK who trained on the GTP EVER managed to get a 457 visa with The Graduate Teacher Programme? I am assuming no, as it seems contrary to advice I have already been given, however it's been suggested to me by a visa agent this week that in South Australia this MIGHT be possible.

Until I have some evidence from someone who has managed this feat not sure whether to let myself believe this....Has anyone actually managed to get a 457 teaching post with GTP and can let me know and add a little hope? :)

Thank you for any advice in advance!

Guest CazRoma3210

I have been a Primary teacher for nearly ten years. (Though am qualified to teach both primary and secondary in the UK if I wished to-art and english)

Not in the recent past I should think as the basic requirement for all states is 4 year training as a teacher and there are plenty of teachers around who cant find work so the prospect of a theoretically unqualified teacher (sorry, but the Aus education systems will say you are as you are a GTP not a PGCE) being offered sponsorship is really rather a remote one. If you think SA will do it, then give them a call and find out but I dont fancy your chances, sorry.

You'll have to go back to uni in Aus I'm afraid, in SA Flinders Uni do a (currently) 1 year course, but if you aren't on someone's visa you'll have to pay overseas student rates (something like A$15000 :chatterbox:).

Especially in Primary there isn't really a shortage of teacher in Aus, they had a bit of a recruitment drive like in the UK and are similarly over-populated with us. That's not to say you can't get a job (unlike here!) once you are there, its just they don't need to sponsor teachers for 457s as there are enough already there and able to work. The lack of the 'Cover Supervisor' (or to give the job its proper name 'warm body-babysitter') in Aus, as you need to have a qualified teacher in front of the class (huge fines if not, unlike here), means there is less erosion of jobs once on the ground.

Archived