Question about state sponsorship - "Moral obligation" to stay for 2 years?

Dono

I've got a question about state sponsored visas (the 176s). If I apply for SS and get it, then apply for a 176 visa and get it - I hear that it's only a "moral" obligation to stay in the sponsoring state for two years.

So how does this work? What happens if I get sponsored by WA, but then book a flight directly to NSW if I get a visa?

You can land anywhere to validate your visa but you have a moral obligation to live and work in the state sponsoring you after all they are trying to fill job vacancies and keep their economy healthy.

Personally I will abide by that otherwise it would be taking places away from other prospective migrants who really want to live in that state - a little unfair don't you think ?

Can you not get NSW SS then ? If not, what about a 175 visa instead ?

I would abide as well.

I think this lack of enforcement is common sense driven: if people can't find a job there, then they are free to move.

But if everybody start doing what they want they could easily enforce it copying the NZ regulation (to validate the permanent residence visa you have to work for at least one year on a provisional visa).

We all want to immigrate to improve our lives, and Australia helps us through this silent agreement. Breaking it doesn't seem to me the best way to start a new life.

I think that DIAC is very sensible to mislead uses of their visa, as they shown many times in the past. It's better not to encourage them to further changes.

True. I am going to apply for a 175 visa - I was just wondering whether it may make sense to apply for a 176 visa if it's generally understood you will work anywhere. I was wondering about a 176 because of the very quick processing time... yet the 175s seem to be quickening a bit as well?

It appears so, maybe this is due to the fact that points are now pre-assigned by the assessing authority.

Unfortunately the new point test just started so it's early for statistics.

Cat 4 has slowed down in the last few weeks due to the updated SMP's. They are now processing many of the cat 5 who are now cat 3.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/estimated-allocation-times.htm

If you occupation is on SOL 1, have enough points without the SS and are in no hurry to get your visa then go for the 175, if you dont watn to comit yourself to living in one state.

We chose WA, for the opportunities that are there for my OH job, and the company he works for just now has offices in Perth.

The reason its a moral obligation as its a PR visa, PR visas are not easily cancelled.

But if everybody start doing what they want they could easily enforce it copying the NZ regulation (to validate the permanent residence visa you have to work for at least one year on a provisional visa).
OZ already have this system, the 475 visa is a provisional visa, and can only get PR once you have lived in the sponsoring are for 2 years and employed for 1 year.

Archived