POI Canberra meet - Weston Park 30/10/11

nik_kershaw

• 2 weeks later...
Guest beh1972

Anyone have any suggestions for the next meet up in Canberra?

Paula and I had great time at the last two and looking forward to the next one.

I don't know what happened to us at the last one! We turned up at Weston park by the mini railway and parked up. Spent half an hour wandering round by the kids area, BBQ stations, the place was packed with loads of groups of people. Didn't see any uk football / sports top wearing people so we walked round everyone and they all had Aussie accents, not an English accent anywhere!

We arrived at 12 noon too. Where we too early? Anyway we ended up leaving and went home to put up our new BBQ!

Really sorry not to have met everyone, next time for sure.

Claire

Hi Clare,

Sorry about the mix up, the group was around the BBQ area but only a few of us had British sports tops on. I myself arrived a little late, but soon found everyone.

There were a few other people around the BBQ area as I think it was the only BBQ area in the park.

I will go for a drive tonight to scope out some areas for the next meeting

Guest beh1972

Hi Claire, don't worry, we almost did the same thing.

Pp and I walked a full circuit and didn't notice the group. We were back in the car about to drive out when I spotted a Scotland rugby top.

Glad we were not the only ones then! Shame we didn't spot anyone! We did see the BBQ but there seemed to be an organised charity thing going on. Definitely next time.

I haven't been to lake ginninderra myself yet but pete cycled round there this morning and said there was a BBQ station. Don't know if this would be good for a meet up. Anyone been there?

Ta

Claire

Yep, there's three different district parks round Lake G. Probably the Western Foreshore has the most BBQ spots, John McKnight is best for kids as it has the best playgrounds. Not sure if there are BBQ spots at John McKnight or if it's just a picnic area by the waterfront. I can't remember what's at Diddams Close (Lake G peninsula) lol. But here's the links to the TAMS pages.

http://www.tams.act.gov.au/play/pcl/parks_reserves_and_open_places/parkslakesandponds/urbanparks/districtparks/lakeginninderrawesternforeshore

http://www.tams.act.gov.au/play/pcl/parks_reserves_and_open_places/parkslakesandponds/urbanparks/districtparks/johnknightmemorialpark

http://www.tams.act.gov.au/play/pcl/parks_reserves_and_open_places/parkslakesandponds/urbanparks/districtparks/lakeginninderrapeninsula

Guest destinationoz

What about the area in Belconnen near Lake Ginderra (sorry wrong spelling) just over the wood bridge near the small waterfall area - if that makes sense! We rode past last week and it looked stunning.

Clare - must admit it was a little hard to find - PM me if you want my mobile no then at least you can phone or text someone if you struggle to find it next time

Cal

What about the area in Belconnen near Lake Ginderra (sorry wrong spelling) just over the wood bridge near the small waterfall area - if that makes sense! We rode past last week and it looked stunning.

Clare - must admit it was a little hard to find - PM me if you want my mobile no then at least you can phone or text someone if you struggle to find it next time

Cal

Yup, that's John McKnight Park. :biggrin:

Western Foreshore might be better though if there's heaps of people wanting to BBQ. Not sure if I'd be a good person to organise it. We've got heaps of stuff on until mid January now so I don't even know if we'll make it to the next one even. :cry:

Thanks everyone. I don't mind organising the next one. Had a look at the links Janet posted and the peninsula was the only one with both BBQ and children's playgrounds.

As I've not been to a PIO meet up before, have you had BBQ's or just met up and done picnics?

I will go and check it out anyway next week. Anything else I need to know?

Ta

Claire

Archived