Convert 175 to 176 if get state sponsorship?

Dono

Hi everyone,

I’m new to the forum and I’m not technically a “pom”, apart from the fact that I have a British passport. I have a question regarding a skilled migration visa issue.

I want to apply for a 176 visa with New South Wales as a sponsor. I can only apply for the sponsorship in January 2012 as this is when I have my 3 years work expereince that they need in that state to sponsor me as an accountant.

I currently can apply for a 175 visa (with no state sponsorship) but they seem to take a long time to process.

My concern is that my occupation is removed from the skills list before I get to apply.

What I want to do is apply for a 175 visa this year, then apply for state sponsorship in January next year, and then convert my 175 visa to a 176 visa.

Does anyone know if I can do this?

Up until about 2 years ago if you obtained state sponsorship while applying for a 175 it became a 176 automatically (you didn't even have to fill out any new forms). However the rules changed (as they so frequently do) and now you have to choose at the time of application which it will be - and pay another fee if you want to apply for the other visa.

Archived