Looking for some teenage guidance, moving to oz

Loopieloo

hey, Im a teenage girl from the uk, hoping to move to australia in a couple years time. I'm quite worried about missing friends and family in the uk. I'm also excited about living a new life and experience a complete different way to life! But thing is, my parents are divorced and my step dad is originally from australia and wanting to move back with my mum and my two younger sisters. I havent actually told my dad yet, but im delaying it because i feel that i will have pressure put on me and i dont want to be put in that situation. I know that he could visit me and i could visit him, but i know money is tight and it wont be easy. I'm close to family in britain and will miss them millions! i just need advise from anyone who has ever been in this situation or could give me advise and ideas on what i should do. Also I would like to know from teenagers on what i will expect and is there much too do, and whats it like there. Is it easy to make friends because i know when moving it can be difficult, and whats education like because i would be in college when i move? I really would like to hear back... Laura :)

All depending on how old you are when your olds are intending to move, you might want to think about delaying your departure until you have finished A levels. If you are just 16 or about to turn 16 at the beginning of the year that you move - and you move in January for a Feb start then you may be OK but if you are older than that then you would be much better to finish A levels before you move - they travel really well to Aus university entrance requirements than do the Aus qualifications back to UK.

Moving as a teen can be a bit tricky educationally so be sure that your olds do their research.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Chloe Forrest

heyy :), i moved over after doing my exams back in Scotland and re-sat year 11 over in Australia to get Australian qualifications and im not gonna lie its hard. its a really big change, they teach differently over here but if you just try and stick in you'll be fine :) xx

• 5 months later...
Guest Genrol

Our schooling is very basic here. Yr 10 is your GSCE's. You then have Yr 11 and 12 which is your HSC (A Levels) then University. Most people are 16 when they start Yr 11. I'm 17 and Yr 12. I've lived in Sydney (Australia) my whole life, so if you want to know anything more, PM me :)

Our schooling is very basic here. Yr 10 is your GSCE's. You then have Yr 11 and 12 which is your HSC (A Levels) then University. Most people are 16 when they start Yr 11. I'm 17 and Yr 12. I've lived in Sydney (Australia) my whole life, so if you want to know anything more, PM me :)

My daughter (17) hasn't found the education much different than in the UK - History of course has slightly different content although she still has learnt about some European history in addition to Australian/Asian She did come over in year 7 though and therefore found the transition much easier, she's found the work challenging and enjoyable (at her school) and hasn't described it as basic, that may be however, due to her subject choice.

• 4 months later...
Guest Nadine199632

Heya laura im in the excact same boat, im 16 now and i moved over from dublin in january. My dad lives at home with my step mam and their daughter. It was horrible telling him too that we were moving but although he was sad he thought it was for the best like its a much better lifestyle over here , youll make friends easily too, the only thing i miss is that the teenagers dont really go out or do anything after school, not sure if its like that in the uk but i know as soon as i came home from school everyday i was straight out with my friends and wouldnt be home until it was dark. Were abouts are you moving? Youll probually be going into year 11 , i found it was a lot easier than at home because there is no pressures of exams .The only subjects i do that are differnt are dance and film and tv. Were looking at moving to the gold coast soon so hopefully there will be more to do down there:) let me know if you want to know anything else:)

Hey! Thankyou! We are looking around surfers paradise area! Yeah I think I am moving into year 11! To be honest I don't tend to go out after school every day! I do sometimes but not a lot! I mainly go out in the holidays!! Everyone has said I will make friends easily hahaha! No pressure on exams? Really? At my school in England they are always telling us about them an making everyone feel nervous! Haha! Thanks again!

Archived