De Facto visa - processing time?

Guest daftdiver

Guest daftdiver

Hi everyone

My boyfriend is Australian and we are currently in Australia and about to embark upon the adventure of applying for a de facto visa for me (British)

Can anyone who has done the same tell me how long it took theirs to come through please? And roughly how long after application they were interviewed (if they were)?

Thanks everyone!

Guest daftdiver

Thanks Peach.

The department of immigration told me 9-12 months the other day, but i just wondered if peoples' actual experience was any different...?

Guest Helen alexandra

i applied back in April and so far have heard nothing! find myself checking the website VEVO quite often and checking mail as soon as i get home but so far no news!

Does anyone know If when your visa (temp) is actually approved does it back date to when u applied or do you have to wait 2 years from the date its approved?

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I lodged my visa application in early May 2011 for an onsore 820/801... I've heard nothing! I applied through a migration agency.

A friend of mine did his application himself and received his 820 within 6 days of lodging! Our circumstances are exactly the same, both Brits with Aussie Citizens, same age, same length of relationship and our 457's even expired within day's of eachother. There really is no rule, it's luck of the draw and probably which agent sees your file and can be bothered to read it.

Yes, Í am bitter :-)

Good luck!

Guest Helen alexandra

Hi.

my visa came through at begining of September! took around 5 months in the end. I went through to Immgiration myself not through an agent. I only had one phonecall from them to request my original police certificate as id sent the copy in error.

So true i dont think there is a specific order so many different people with similar situations to mine have totally different processing times and some are still waiting!

for what its worth though i wasted a huge amount of time stressing about it and expected to be asked for more proof but zilch...all accepted no questions. of course my situation is genuine however i think id read far to much into other peoples situations and expected to be asked for heaps more.

good luck :)

We applied for my British partners 820 defacto visa back in Jnauary 2011 and only just last week received a phone call from our case officer requesting further information - didn't include Autralian Police Certificate. So far has taken 9-10 months and still waiting. Immigration are quoting 9-12 months which seems top be accurate except for a minority who, for whatever reason, get theirs quicker...go figure why??

Anyways hope this helps. try not to stress...

Mine took 1 monthish ?!?!?

I lodged my de facto partner visa FULLY FRONT LOADED on 27th September 2011 in Melbourne

Temporary residency GRANTED: 3rd November 2011

I cannot believe how fast I was granted it!!

2 years to go before I get PR ...roll on 2014!

Some info that might help others out:

My girlfriend and I have been living together 1.5 years, yes we are lesbians and no that doesn't effect the outcome despite what Julie Gillard wants :laugh:

Submitted 120 pages of evidence, with a contents page, chronologically ordered including photos, emails, texts, receipts of everything - gifts we bought for each other and flowers sent to each others, cards. ALL WERE SCANNED AND PRINTED IN COLOUR. Bank statements to prove our purchases plus all our utility bills. We have a joint account too for savings.

8 Statutory declarations from her family and a few mutual friends.

All the official forms were TYPED on PDF not written to make it easier to read.

Took us about 7 months to actually finish the application!!! Long slog but worth it!

Guest HelenGBAH

I lodged our 820 application to the Sydney office on 5th Oct 2011 and it was granted on 11th Oct, we were amazed!

We frontloaded my police checks and medicals, and I am a Uk citizen.

Just shows that it can happen that quickly, either we were just lucky or my double and triple obsessive checking of everything paid off. We had been living together for bang on 12 months and had all the evidence to satisfy the requirements.

Good luck to all

Archived