Problems selling the house!

judyq

Hi, i am sure we are not the only ones in this position but our house is taking longer than we thought to sell here in the u.k.

As we have to validate by next summer we do hopefully have time but was wondering if anyone has tried these quick sale agencies? I have been on their websites and they guarantee a sale in a month but not sure how i feel about them?

Don't want to go too much under what the house is worth but will struggle to afford to validate !

Would love to know if anyone has tried alternative ways of selling!

There's always going to be a pay-off

Sad fact is the market is moving very slowly in the UK at the moment and has been that way since the start of the summer

I would be looking to rent out, or try more normal means of trying to get a sale (push the agents, change agents, drop price, tart up the house, any combination of those)

The other sad fact about houses is they are only "worth" what someone is prepared to pay for them. If no one is prepared to pay your asking price then I'm afraid it's not worth that money and you might have to revisit your calculations

Guest Guest31881

We did have a member on here who felt that his agent could have been a bit more enthusiastic about selling the house. They walked into the agents office and announced that if the house sold in the next month, the person who got the lead that led to the sale would be given £500 cash in hand as a bonus. The house did sell, not sure if it was a coincidence or if the offer did work.

Our hse has been up with various estate agents for 2 out of the last 3 yrs,the hse is basically new from the bare brick out,low maintenance,no glossing or anaglypta wallpaper etc:laugh:,everything is no more than 8 yrs old,plus were leaving everything in it,telly etc etc,dropped it by about 10% in a yr,still no joy.

I actually thought about raffling it online!!!! but dont know how i'd go about it,we have about 22 months left on the visa,the tipping point will probs be with roughly 6 months left on the visa,then we have no choice but to try and release equity and get a buy to let mortgage,but that will be easier said than done.

Those agencies you talk of? slugs and maggots as far as im concerned,cashing in on peoples misery,they'l give yer about thirty bob for it,nah,swerve the leeches

A lot of this is common sense or common knowledge but it's still well worth refreshing your memory - and maybe your house:

http://www.channel4.com/4homes/buy-sell/selling-property

We've bought and sold a lot over the years and have always put a lot of effort into getting a house ready for sale and then actively managed the process, and never waited longer than 6 weeks to agree a sale even in hard times. If it's priced realistically and marketed positively it will usually sell. Agents always put the most effort into new houses on the books, once they've had them a few weeks they stop trying unless you make them. I know the bloke is *really* annoying but watch a couple of those old "Selling Houses" episodes as well, he's in your face but the advice is always consistent: Declutter, fix faults, give it a quick/cheap facelift, dress it up, know who your market is and set it up for that market, price it sensibly, make the agents earn their money

Good luck!

Hi,

We have had our house on the market for over 2 years now and have only had about 4 viewings, our 1st this year was yesterday so fingers crossed we hear some good news! We put our house on the market when we first decided we wanted to emigrate to Oz and have only just (30th June) submitted our visa application.

We had the house up with one local estate agent for nearly 2 years and they seemed to really lack any drive when it came to promoting our property, we got the feeling they thought they just had to stick our house on their website and shop window and sit back and wait for a buyer. We took it off with them a few months ago and put it on with this online estate agents called Get An Offer, they claim to be a quick sale agent but not at the ridiculously low prices other quick sale compaines do. Apparently they market to people with cash/finance in place, like buy-to-let companies/property developers but they could still not get us a viewing. We dropped Get An Offer at the start of this month and have just had our first viewing through our new local estate agent.

I would avoid the quick sale companies as i have heard they will offer you up to 25% below the market value and then may even drop the offer further on the day of completion. I would view them as the very last option e.g. if you could not afford to let out your house whilst in Oz.

Good luck to all those out there trying to sell in the current housing market!

Our hse has been up with various estate agents for 2 out of the last 3 yrs,the hse is basically new from the bare brick out,low maintenance,no glossing or anaglypta wallpaper etc:laugh:,everything is no more than 8 yrs old,plus were leaving everything in it,telly etc etc,dropped it by about 10% in a yr,still no joy.

I actually thought about raffling it online!!!! but dont know how i'd go about it,we have about 22 months left on the visa,the tipping point will probs be with roughly 6 months left on the visa,then we have no choice but to try and release equity and get a buy to let mortgage,but that will be easier said than done.

Those agencies you talk of? slugs and maggots as far as im concerned,cashing in on peoples misery,they'l give yer about thirty bob for it,nah,swerve the leeches

Thanks for that, i noticed before that you were waiting to sell, so frustrating! I have to admit it's my gut feeling too, they aren't going to do us any favours i suspect!

We are in the same situation its now got to the stage that i think we will have to activate our Visas and then come back and ride the storm. One of the hardest decisions is to move your family to the other side of the world and then all the stress of not being able to sell your property and to top it we have the thing called the HS2 [High speed rail link] Proposal route is to go through the beatiful country side and make minimal noise! Its a very frustrating time. Good job we are both Geminis! We are laid back but now its starting to effect us. All we want to do is get on with our next stage of life in OZ. Our visas have to be activated by the 18th of Febuary 2012. People may think that ohhh you got time yet. Arrrrrr.Deep breaths we say to each other. It will be what it will be. Ive already resigned as a company director and finish at xmas. yepp thrown 23 yrs of hard work away. sorry went of the beaten track again, what im saying is its the start of the rest of your life so if you do have to activate its not really a major problem Just calm down! come back ride the storm get a job to tide you over, doesnt matter what your doing as long as your keeping busy. How long has it taken most of us to go through the application process from start to finish. We will get there and we will live the dream.

Good luck to you all

Rich and Jo

Hi

Keep thinking do we leave it a bit longer each week. Dont know wheter to leave it till early January or Early Febuary or October!, it really is a nightmare of knowing what to do. Just trying to keep focused. All the stuff we have had thrown at us in all the years of having our own company i could have anything thrown at me but god this is really stressful. My OH says im no good at personel issues. LOL

The benefits and pitfalls of renting: You get to try a new area/ state/ country without making a huge financial commitment. Property prices are going south in OZ so you could bag a bargain if you wait. Could you not rent your UK property out and rent here? Of course every scenario comes with its risks - risk your tenants could default but at least you can't settle here, you have a home to go back to. A lotto be said for that . The rental market is not that hot here so you need to choose wisely as many properties are poor;y maintained. Also, the exchange rate is dreadful compared to two three years ago.

We are in the same situation ! we have just reduced it a further £8000 to try and sell it before Christmas, if not then we will have to look at renting it out ,but we too could do with the equity to get started in OZ.

Not ideal

What will be ,will be !!........ so they say.

Hi, we are the same too, house went on the market the beginning of may, 10 viewings, no offers, dropped it £7,500 and looks like we will have to drop again. Need to enter WA before 2/2/12 or we loose the visa. Its so stressful, just need a lucky break.

Good luck to all selling, hope you get a buyer soon

Good luck xx

We had a nightmare with our home..

We had 2 mths to move due to temporary visa and sponsership and them wanting DH too start work. We had 2 mths to packe everything up, including 4 kids and go, we ended up renting the house out. It didnt go to plan though and we had to keep fixing stuff and then it needed a huge amount of electrical work (it had already passed when we had electric test?)

We ended up having to auction and lost pretty much all our equity, which was a deposit for a home here, so now we start again and my DH is 43!

It ahs been worth it as we LOVE it here, but its hard and can be a nightmare. I wish you so much luck selling your house x

amazing how many people are in the same boat!!! Seems really naive now but i really didn't think we would have a problem! Just read a link on bbc news that confirms the market is really slowing down.

They have quoted an average of just 14 homes sold per uk estate agent in the three months to august!

So think we have to take the power back! Otherwise you would just go mad!! Will hassle estate agents, tart the house up, take new photo's etc but also have to seriously look at the financial possibility of validating early next year!

Good luck to ALL in this position

Archived