Uk child benefits

Guest Goons98

Yes.

To quote from their site

You must tell the Child Benefit Office if:

* you or your partner leave the UK permanently or for more than 52 weeks

* you leave the UK temporarily for more than eight weeks, or more than twelve weeks because you or a member of your family is ill, or has died

* you lose your right to reside in the UK

* your immigration status is changed by the Home Office

Also there is a section from the childs POV and its pretty much the same as if the child leaves, they also ask you to inform them.

Link to page

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/childbenefit/keep-up-to-date/changes-to-report/what-to-report.htm

Guest boyllba
Do I need to tell Child benefits that we are leaving the country?

I called them about something totally different recently and whilst on I told them that when the house was sold we would be leaving the country the operator was really helpful and gave me the advice that, when you contact them with the date you are leaving the uk they will cease the benefit right away from that notification so she advised me not to tell them until right at the last minute so as to keep getting our money until we leave..............hope this helps x:biggrin:

Guest destinationoz

with everything else - I forgot (genuine mistake) .... if I tell them now - do I tell them the date we came or the date I email which may have to be in a few weeks as all the paperwork and therefore our reference no etc is in a container .....

with everything else - I forgot (genuine mistake) .... if I tell them now - do I tell them the date we came or the date I email which may have to be in a few weeks as all the paperwork and therefore our reference no etc is in a container .....

Not sure really.

If you don't mind paying a bit back, wait perhaps. But tbh, they can probably find you on the system without reference numbers and stuff. If its paid direct into your bank you can give them the bank details and names, address etc. Then make it more formal if they ask you to get back to them once your paperwork arrives.

Guest dannywh
Do I need to tell Child benefits that we are leaving the country?

This is something that puzzled me too. We will be going on a temprary sponsered visa, and i think that if you are temp you cant claim child benefit there, but you have to tell the uk also. A bit bizarre x

Keep checking your bank account once you have left to make sure they stop paying it. They are notoriously bad at doing this. They kept paying me for 4 months, even though I told them before we left and made several phone calls from Oz and sent letters. So far they haven't asked for it back but I am sure they will - eventually!! Same with the child tax credit - I got so fed up with phoning them every month, the last time I spoke to someone I told them I would not be phoning them again. Even contemplated closing my UK account so they couldn't pay me!

Guest Mcallums

Well..

You have a good topic to discuss here..

All of you have a good sharing in this forum...

Shared links are also very nice...

one of our children is remaining in the UK, and going to Uni here, presumably CB stops for him anyway? Sure this is a daft question, but it's a bank holiday and I'm just not with it today lol!

Yep, it stops when the parent ceases to be a resident.

Hi, we are going on a temp visa.. so cant claim in Oz..... the HM Rev & Cus site says: tell us if:

you or your partner leave the UK permanently or for more than 52 weeks

So, at 52 weeks we decide to stay a bit longer, do we tell them then? or do we need to tell them now?

Any advice would be great.... thanks

Hi, we are going on a temp visa.. so cant claim in Oz..... the HM Rev & Cus site says: tell us if:

So, at 52 weeks we decide to stay a bit longer, do we tell them then? or do we need to tell them now?

I suspect that if you wait 52 weeks to tell them, the onus will be on you to prove that you weren't originally planning to stay out of the country for more than a year. If you are not able to offer that proof they would then seek to recover the money from you (Australia has an agreement with the UK to allow government debts to be chased and collected).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest marriedtheenglish

I rung them last week to tell them we were leaving the UK permanently. I then gave them our revised salary details as the money will obviously be less as we will only be here April-November for 11-12 tax purposes.

They told me this was fine, and put our tax credits up for the moment.

I rang again yesterday to find out when we would get our last payment and they had no idea about us moving – not recorded v. well.

Anyway, she said that once we leave, the payments stop, and that our Australian income would be taken into account until the end of the tax year.

I don’t understand this – does anyone else – how can they include the money we get in Australia towards our UK child tax credits, as we stop getting anything the minute we leave the country – it doesn’t make sense to me? If we still go it while we were in Australia till the end of the tax year then fine, but we don’t.

Basically, when we start earning in Australia, that will cut down what we should have got on our tax credits here and I think we will end up owing them loads of money.

Has anyone else come across this? It doesn’t make sense to me.

Thanks in advance!

Guest marra2000

Did you not pick this part out ??

" you leave the UK temporarily for more than eight weeks,"

Archived