Famous red arrow crashes in Bournemouth

Dawny

Sadly today after a spectacular show, one of our famous red arrows have crashed on the south side of Bournemouth airport, No news yet if the pilot managed to eject before crash landing!

Believed to have come down on the north side, bounced across the river and landed in near by throop! The pilot as said by many is a true hero, as he was very close to crashing at Alice in wonder theme park, but he managed to avoid it!

Thoughts now go out to his family and co pilots and all those effected by the devastating news! Whilst we all prey for his safety!

The Crash took place around 2 pm, The military have not disclosed if the pilot ejected safely, Or if he has been found! Reports have said it could have been pilot 6 or 4, Pilot 4 is believed to be a female! Some onlookers never saw a parachute, whilst two dogs walkers have been mentioned wading into the river! Helicopters are still patrolling the area, We are less than 5 minutes away, Air activity is still in full power, So no more news now until the military give a statement. Onlookers who have been watching down on the sea front have not been informed of the crash! We thought something was strange, as all 9 flew right over our house at the start, but only 8 flew back over the flight path!

It has been confirmed that people that waded into the river pulled out the eject seating etc, and believe the pilots body was on the bank the other side of the river! Speculation has been that sadly the pilot did not survive the crash, but they have said that this has not yet been confirmed! The military are expected to make a statement later this evening!

Very very sad news indeed!

Exactly Dawny, our thoughts are with the family.

The Red Arrows are such a GREAT British tradition and they had such a good safety history........

I just heard about it on the news, I can't believe it. Its so sad and like poshslice said they had such a good safety record.

Did I hear correctly that the pilot had been working in afghanistan not so long ago??

I imagine the thoughts of the entire nation are with the family.

We went along to the air show again today, A very emotional tribute was said at 1pm before the show started, along with a minute silence, Most of the people who attended today, all wore red out of a mark of respect! Very sad day down at Bournemouth, At the town hall the lion has so many floral tributes, and several books have already been written it! The arrows are grounded and appear to still be at hurn airport.

Guest sh7t man no way

i used to work on the hawk (red arrows jet) at dunsfold (near london) its a sad day indeed,and i know his mates will be upset--there a close knit lot:no:

Guest Louhills

im from bmth and i used to love watching the red arrows it is such great British tradition.

i know people who live in the crash area and they said that the red arrow came over dumped his fuel over the fields so he wouldnt explode on impact and tried to eject when he was clear of all the houses in that area but it was too late the plane bounced off the field and just broke into loads of bits. :( my thoughts r with his family who was at the airshow watchin it at the time it happened.

still noone knows what caused the plane to come down tho do they? i heard that the military are keeping it very quiet about what happened but heard all of the red arrows have been grounded now for the rest of the year is this true??

its so sad, hope they dont cancel the airshow because of it, as that does bmth the world of good ( altho when i used to work there it was a nightmare lol)

xx

im from bmth and i used to love watching the red arrows it is such great British tradition.

i know people who live in the crash area and they said that the red arrow came over dumped his fuel over the fields so he wouldnt explode on impact and tried to eject when he was clear of all the houses in that area but it was too late the plane bounced off the field and just broke into loads of bits. :( my thoughts r with his family who was at the airshow watchin it at the time it happened.

still noone knows what caused the plane to come down tho do they? i heard that the military are keeping it very quiet about what happened but heard all of the red arrows have been grounded now for the rest of the year is this true??

its so sad, hope they dont cancel the airshow because of it, as that does bmth the world of good ( altho when i used to work there it was a nightmare lol)

xx

The air show went ahead on Sunday, with the blessing of his wife and fellow pilots, it was a very emotional day down on Bournemouth Pier,

They are trying to organize a memorial Lion to be placed at Bournemouth Pier and another to be given To the red arrows home base, It's all in the hands of the town hall etc at the moment, Heavily being pushed on facebook twitter and the media.

Red arrows are still at BIA, Safely locked away under guard 24/7 but there has been news from the RAF today..

here is the latest link http://uk.news.yahoo.com/red-arrows-may-not-fly-weeks-151945195.html

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/9207833.Tribute_paid_to_Jon_Egging_on_final_day_of_Air_Festival/

Archived