He's only gone and done it!

Guest Bazinga

Guest Bazinga

Mr B resigned yesterday after accepting a job in Canberra and leaves for Australia in a month! Cannot believe it's happening. He applied on the off chance when he was over there in July to get some interview experience and got offered the job typically after his UK spouse visa came through.

Me and the kids will be staying here & applying for our visas so I'm in the same 'waiting' boat as a lot of people on here. Hoping to get to know a few of you over the next few months. We aren't applying until December so hoping that by this time next year we will all the over there.

Any hints/tips advice always welcome

B :cute:

I'm a bit confused? If he's got a visa then that covers the family, you don't need to apply for another visa.

I'm guessing he's Australian and has a spousal visa to live in the UK so his family would still need to apply for visas to live in Australia :wink:

:wink:

Must be a good job for him (and you) to do an about turn right after he's got his visa! Reading into your post it looks like you will have to be separated for a while if he's starting work so soon. That'll be tough. Good luck with it all!

Guest Bazinga

Could be up to a year before he sees us all again. It is worth it though. Job is not best paying nor is it the state we wanted but is foot in door of what he does & they will pay him to do an industry qualification. HUGE gamble but I want a different life, not a better one & hopefully this will be that opportunity.

It's a shame that he had to resign - taking a career break if at all possible is the way to go these days then you have a bit of a belt and braces approach.

Hope he (and you) like Canberra - what's not to like???!:biglaugh:

It's a shame that he had to resign - taking a career break if at all possible is the way to go these days then you have a bit of a belt and braces approach.

Hope he (and you) like Canberra - what's not to like???!:biglaugh:

Do you still get 100 points for mowing down politicians Quoll - just asking like....:biggrin::laugh:

Guest Bazinga

When we visited in June I loved it. I was freezing but I loved it. Had to buy us all hats, gloves and scarfs!

What I am going to have to do though is learn to drive...

Do you still get 100 points for mowing down politicians Quoll - just asking like....:biggrin::laugh:

Yes, you get double if they are female with red hair!

OMG driving in ACT is an absolute essential. We went without a car for a couple of years once but it wasnt easy - and we lived in Campbell at the time, so an easy walk into Civic. If you end up in Captains Flat you will need to be able to drive to get to anything at all.

Will you have anyone to have the kids when you get to Australia?

If you haven't passed your test before coming here, I would think it's going to be a major problem living out in "the sticks". It's not ideal being in Canberra without a car but at least you'd be close to services etc. Online shopping is an option. The buses aren't great but at least there are buses. I'm not sure what options you'd have if you lived in Captain's Flat for instance. :confused:

I don't think any of the suburbs in Canberra are that bad to be honest. Even Charnwood, which people always say is a place "not to live" isn't THAT bad. It's not like Tottenham for instance :wink:.

Personally would suggest you do your licence in the UK and then it is a simple matter to swop it over when you get to Oz. At least in the UK there are friends and family who can watch the kids or activities they can be involved with when you are busy learning to drive. When you get to Oz it is going to be go go go, get kids into school, sort out all the ins and outs of living in a new country and add the pressure of learning to drive to that and it sounds like a recipe for disaster. I know many people have done it and coped fine but easier to learn where you know where people can recommend a suitable school etc. Less than a year to learn and pass you should be fine. Contact a driving school get them to run you through the whole process - some of them probably offer a course of lessons and can pretty much give you a heads up as to how much you are looking at for lessons and how many lessons you would need on average to go from learner to licenced.

Guest Bazinga

Are you kidding me?? I'm from Tottenham. I was born and raised there. What happened there is not representational of the area at all. After it happened there was a huge community clean up effort & hundreds of donations to the families who lost their homes in the fire.

I lived within 15mins walk of a leisure centre, library, Tesco, a great park, a canal walk & marshlands. You knew your neighbours & all the kids played in the playground outside the houses. Not like that in many 'better' areas of London.

Am going to try & learn here & hope the grandparents will help out. Thanks for all the advice :)

Are you kidding me?? I'm from Tottenham. I was born and raised there. What happened there is not representational of the area at all. After it happened there was a huge community clean up effort & hundreds of donations to the families who lost their homes in the fire.

I lived within 15mins walk of a leisure centre, library, Tesco, a great park, a canal walk & marshlands. You knew your neighbours & all the kids played in the playground outside the houses. Not like that in many 'better' areas of London.

Am going to try & learn here & hope the grandparents will help out. Thanks for all the advice :)

Ah well, Charnwood isnt like Tottenham then LOL

Apologies, I didn't mean to offend, it was a bit of a tongue in cheek comment hence the wink afterwards. I actually had no idea you were from Tottenham. It was a toss up between saying that or Brixton!

Guest Bazinga

Funnily enough, I wouldn't live in Brixton because I think it's rough! No worries, just a bit sensitive about it as have heard so many negative things said recently. Thanks for your other advice :D

Archived