take 457 or wait for skilled migration...

Guest Funky

Hi everyone!

We have decided to make the move. A friend of mine emigrated to Brisbane nearly 2 years ago and I have decided to do this while i still can.

My dilemma is that i could get sponsorship 457 and live and work in kalgoorlie and get out there quite soon or i could wait and go skilled visa and live where i choose. I could apply for PR skilled while i am there living and working with my partner.

I would plan to apply for PR skilled not long after i got there.. as kalgoorlie is not location of choice.

What would you do? I have heard mixed oppinions about Kalgoorlie we are a youngish couple with no children.

What are reasonable timescales for skilled visa application with and without migration agent - i could be in australia working while the process was happening..

any comments appreciated : )

This forum is great and i can see me usnig quite alot! :notworthy:

Guest liltman
Hi everyone!

We have decided to make the move. A friend of mine emigrated to Brisbane nearly 2 years ago and I have decided to do this while i still can.

My dilemma is that i could get sponsorship 457 and live and work in kalgoorlie and get out there quite soon or i could wait and go skilled visa and live where i choose. I could apply for PR skilled while i am there living and working with my partner.

I would plan to apply for PR skilled not long after i got there.. as kalgoorlie is not location of choice.

What would you do? I have heard mixed oppinions about Kalgoorlie we are a youngish couple with no children.

What are reasonable timescales for skilled visa application with and without migration agent - i could be in australia working while the process was happening..

any comments appreciated : )

This forum is great and i can see me usnig quite alot! :notworthy:

Hi Funky, if you go on a 457 visa, firstly you have to be there 2 years b4 u can apply for PR visa.

Why r u on this path of u have to go to Kalgoorie, i'm starting work in Brisbane soon but i don't have to live in Brisbane on my 457 visa just because the jobs there, we're looking at the Gold Coast to live and then commute.

I hear Skilled visa apps. r taking upto 2 years but this can vary so you could go on 457 visa, work, checkout all you require and then apply for PR visa ( after 2 years and takes 1 year to approve ) and if it doesn't work out in the first couple of years you haven't wasted waiting 2 years and then moving and finding out you don't like it...... :biggrin: Good luck....

Hi liltman, thanks for the response.

I heard that the 2 years before applying was a myth? someone else on this forum said its not true.

There is also the fact that if i dont like the job etc.. i suppose my quesiton is how long can i stay with a sponsor before either finding another sponsor at location of choice or before applying for PR.

I could get a 175 i score enough points. its just down to timescales..

not sure the OH would like kalgoorlie... i could do 12 months but like i said would ideally like to be in brisbane. : )

If you arrive in Australia on a 457, nothing is to stop you from applying for a PR visa immediately if you have the neccesary qualifications/points.

Some visa's do require the applicant giong offshore when the visa is granted, but there are no time constraints.

If you are to apply for ENS PR on a 457, then the 2 year rule applies.

Check with a migration agent or even ask your possible new employer that is prepared to offer you sponsorship if you can talk to their migration agent about the possibilities.

You don't HAVE to wait 2 years before applying for an ENS. If you pass a skills assessment then you can get an ENS from day one if employer will do it. In this case an RSMS would also be an option.

But as OP says they would tie him down.

You can apply for a 175 at the same time as 457 (although can't do both on-line at same time) the last visa granted will cancel any others.

Yes you can apply for 175 before going to Oz or after you get there. You would have to be offshore for the grant though, they just let you know and you leave Oz for a week or so (you can go anywhere Bali/NZ etc do not have to go back to UK)

Just keep DIAC informed

Guest liltman
If you arrive in Australia on a 457, nothing is to stop you from applying for a PR visa immediately if you have the neccesary qualifications/points.

Some visa's do require the applicant giong offshore when the visa is granted, but there are no time constraints.

If you are to apply for ENS PR on a 457, then the 2 year rule applies.

Check with a migration agent or even ask your possible new employer that is prepared to offer you sponsorship if you can talk to their migration agent about the possibilities.

Hi furkew, my visa agent sent me this, thats why i said 2 yrs to apply...

I am the Australian Registered Migration Agent acting on behalf of ? in Queensland.

The Owner, Mr ? has been in contact with me and requested I make an initial contact with you to request documents and evidence to commence your side of the application for a “457” Business (Long Stay) 4 year Temporary Visa. After 2 years on this visa you are entitled to apply for your Permanent Residency Visa.

Cheers..:biggrin:

Hi furkew.. that was my understanding exactly.

If i score enough points now for a 175 i could apply as soon as i get to Aus - yes i have to go offshore for the change over when that happened.

I dont think the employer would be ok with me saying i was planning to leave them from the offset!

so has anyone applied for a 175 while actually living and working in Australia? How long did it take what obstacles did you hit?

Its down to how much time i would save.. I would not go for PR through sponsor as 2 years is not my ideal to be in WA.

Hi furkew, my visa agent sent me this, thats why i said 2 yrs to apply...

I am the Australian Registered Migration Agent acting on behalf of ? in Queensland.

The Owner, Mr ? has been in contact with me and requested I make an initial contact with you to request documents and evidence to commence your side of the application for a “457” Business (Long Stay) 4 year Temporary Visa. After 2 years on this visa you are entitled to apply for your Permanent Residency Visa.

Cheers..:biggrin:

Thats correct, because that is the same path that I recently took, but this is for a Employer nominated sponsorship (ENS) permanent visa application (856 I think) not a 175 PR visa.

If you have enough points, nothing bars your way from applying immediately.

Archived