Recruitment in Canberra

Guest Youngs2

Guest Youngs2

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to apply for a 176 ACT sponsored visa - just in the final stages of research. Apart from Hayes which are the main recruitment companies in Canberra? I'm keen to speak to them to get an idea of the market and job prospects.

Thanks,

Stuart

Guest Youngs2

At the moment i would coming over as a policy analyst. My previous experience has been in security and foreign policy - advocacy sort of stuff. I'm thinking about doing an MBA beforehand though, so i'm open to change. At the minute though i'd be looking for work with ACT, think tanks, regulatory bodies, universities - that sort of area.

Any thoughts / overview? I've got a call with Hays tomorrow morning, so i'll see what they say but would be really interested in your first hand experience.

S

• 1 month later...
At the moment i would coming over as a policy analyst. My previous experience has been in security and foreign policy - advocacy sort of stuff. I'm thinking about doing an MBA beforehand though, so i'm open to change. At the minute though i'd be looking for work with ACT, think tanks, regulatory bodies, universities - that sort of area.

Any thoughts / overview? I've got a call with Hays tomorrow morning, so i'll see what they say but would be really interested in your first hand experience.

S

How did your call with Hayes go? You should be OK finding jobs in the federal government (except defence and immigration where you need to be a citizen). There are a few hoops to jump through but you should be OK once you are here.

How did your call with Hayes go? You should be OK finding jobs in the federal government (except defence and immigration where you need to be a citizen). There are a few hoops to jump through but you should be OK once you are here.

Hmm, not sure that that is quite correct. The general expectation is that APS positions will go to citizens and usually there are enough citizens to fill the positions. It isnt just with Defence and Immigration, most of jobs advertised across the board will specify citizenship as a requirement. Of course if there is a lack of talent and a non citizen has a specific skill set then they may get a look in but getting into the APS is not easy at the best of times

Just speaking from experience I work for the federal government and had only been in Canberra a month when I picked up the job. General consensus from agencies and fellow contractors is that its only defence and immigration who require citizenship although lazy agencies will insist on it so as not to do the paperwork...

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Guest destinationoz

Personally I think it depends on how flexible you are willing to be when you first arrive - there are plenty of jobs here it just depends if you are willing to start lower down or lesser pay to get your foot in the door and move on as soon as you can. Equally, you may need to accept temporary posts but it's that foot in the door again. I applied for 5 jobs before coming out and was offered 3 and the 4th asked me to apply for a different one ... The jobs seem to be there!!!! Good Luck!!

Just speaking from experience I work for the federal government and had only been in Canberra a month when I picked up the job. General consensus from agencies and fellow contractors is that its only defence and immigration who require citizenship although lazy agencies will insist on it so as not to do the paperwork...

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Short term contracts and non ongoing positions are a different matter and that's OK if you dont mind the lack of security. ACT government does give permanent positions to non citizens but they have to be PR. I know a lot of IT folk in particular dont mind short term contracts because they get paid more than if they went into a permanent role.

Where there are high level security issues then citizenship is a must. Departmental heads have the capacity to waive the requirement for citizenship if there are no citizens with skills enough to fill the positions but the expectation is that the waiver will only happen when there are no appropriately skilled citizens and once employed the non citizen has no right of transfer to another department.

I think Desti is right, if you dont mind going down the ladder some way then you stand more of a chance with something.

See DOHA is going to shed something like 400 positions - Canberra is very vulnerable to PS cutting and we have had some really difficult times in the past when razor gangs have decided there is a bit of fat to be cut and often the expensive contractors are the ones to go first. It happens every now and again, but usually with a new government who has to balance the books.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest turners gang

I came over from the uk in Jan 2011 with my wife and 3 boys and started working for HR Connexions ( recruitment ) in April ...

If you or anyone else would like assistance I would be happy to help !

you can email me: mark.turner@hrconnexions.com.au or just send me a message.

Good luck to everyone coming to Canberra, its a:biggrin: great place to live !!

Archived