Aircraft maintenance work

Guest Chris n Lou

Guest Chris n Lou

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone could possibly help.

I have the 175 visa, and we are looking to come over to Aus within the next couple of months. The only problem is that due to having a 5 year old and 9 month old baby, I need to get work pretty sharp, with as minimal moving around as poss.

We are looking at either Perth, Brisbane or NSW, or possibly Melbourne but can't really determine where has the most work.

I've looked at seek etc, but would appreciate it if anyone could give me a heads up, or perhaps the names of agencies who handle contract work. I've worked both civillian and miltary aircraft, mainly structures.

Many thanks,

Chris:biggrin:

Guest siamsusie

Hi Chris,

Could you tell us exactly what your skill/profession is please so that we can point you in the right direction.

Susie x

Guest Chris n Lou

Hi,

I am an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (unlicensed), looking to go to Perth probably. I'm hoping that if there is not a great deal of work about, I can possibly get in on Hydraulic/Mechanical fitting work, as I have plenty of experience with aircraft systems.

Cheers

Chris

• 5 weeks later...
Hi all,

I have the 175 visa, and we are looking to come over to Aus within the next couple of months. The only problem is that due to having a 5 year old and 9 month old baby, I need to get work pretty sharp, with as minimal moving around as poss.

We are looking at either Perth, Brisbane or NSW, or possibly Melbourne but can't really determine where has the most work.

I've looked at seek etc, but would appreciate it if anyone could give me a heads up, or perhaps the names of agencies who handle contract work. I've worked both civillian and miltary aircraft, mainly structures.

Many thanks,

Hi chris

just wondering how you got on as my oh is looking for the same work.We also have kids and need to find a job before we move.

julie:biggrin:

Guest Chris n Lou

Hi Julie,

We have decided to go to Perth, as we loved it there. There doesn't seem to be much aircraft work there at the moment so I have been applying for general mechanical and hydraulic fitter jobs.

Although I have had a few positive responses, nothing concrete has been offered. It appears you have to be in the country to get a job.

Most of the aircraft work seems to be around Richmond north Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne. Agencies such as Aviation Labour Group, Bermil and Australian Structural Contractors have regular contract work going, and Boeing appear to be struggling to get production workers in for the Melbourne facility.

As long as I get to bring in a wage we'll be happy,

Cheers,

Chris

• 5 weeks later...

HI, I'm just looking into the process of applying for a 175 as an aircraft fitter, my background is engines and I'm unlicensed.

I was wondering if anyone had any pointers dealing with the RTO Victoria uni?

I've emailed and called them and the information is contradictory to say the least.

It seems they want a log book?

Also the category covers quite a few trades so I'm assuming you’re not expected to tick all the boxes so to speak?

Any advice please?

Hi all,

Many thanks,

Chris, there is an AME job advertised on SEEK.COM with Cobham at Perth domestic airport. I have been meaning to come on here for a couple of weeks now to let people know the job will be coming soon. I work for Cobham as an AME, the money isn't the best on the airport, but it is the best shift pattern (10 hr shifts, mornings, afternoons and nights, 6 on - 6 off :biglaugh:) Working on B717, BAe 146 and Dash-8. Hope this helps.

Al

Guest Chris n Lou

Hi all,

Thanks Cazz, I have just seen the Cobham advert on Seek, are they ok to work for? I haven't worked on dash 8's or 717's, just military aircraft vc-10's hawk, tornado's etc, and boeing 747/767's but i suppose there would be no harm applying if my other application turns sour. I may have just sorted out something with another company, just waiting to hear back with regards to hours etc.

Arriving on the 2nd Nov and can't wait!!

Cheers,

Chris

Hi,

just wondering if anybody can say how much on average an ame would earn? I appreciate it will differ between companies but say just a ball park figure, as i'm looking at coming to oz hopefully in 20 months as an ame mechanical(no licenses) post a v v v long army career lol..20 odd years!!! god i look forward to leaving.

Good luck with the job by the way chris.

Guest Chris n Lou

Hi Seth,

Ha I bet after 20 years you're looking forward to leaving!

The average, from jobs advertised and speaking to people, seems to be around 60-65,000 dollars pa. Tidy enough to live in some areas, not so in others.

Where in Aus are you planning on going?

Chris

I always said to my wife she could choose where we lived when i leave the Army as she has followed me every where, never thought it would be Australia lol. We are hoping for melbourne and perth as a second.

I will be happy if that is about the av wages, but like u say its not a lot for certain areas, but hopefully we can find a nice area. The right school for me boy is top priority, that and me getting work.

Guest Chris n Lou

Hi Seth,

There seems to be plenty of work in Melbourne cropping up at regular intervals. Boeing struggle to get people in for the production work, 65k i do believe and there has been several ads for unlicensed ame's recently for mechanical and structural work.

Aviation Labour Group have had some contract work there, which usually pays a lot more and is often long term.

My engineer in work lived there for a year and swears it is the best place on earth!

We loved Perth though and I reckon our kids will too.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi all,

Thanks Cazz, I have just seen the Cobham advert on Seek, are they ok to work for? I haven't worked on dash 8's or 717's, just military aircraft vc-10's hawk, tornado's etc, and boeing 747/767's but i suppose there would be no harm applying if my other application turns sour. I may have just sorted out something with another company, just waiting to hear back with regards to hours etc.

Arriving on the 2nd Nov and can't wait!!

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris, My Hub wrote the post, he works there. The shift pattern is great 6 on & 6 off & usually lots of opportunity for OT too to get more $ ! They are a really great company to work for :biggrin: Good luck with whatever you decide on X

Archived