High container value insurance question....

Guest sleepysunday

Guest sleepysunday

Hi

Did anyone have a high value on their container of goods? My husband is a musician and has a lot of expensive equipment we need to send. I've just tallied up the replacement costs and it seems the high value items total almost 50% of the insured amount.

We are not going to use the insurance from John Masn and are in the process fo speaking to Letton Percival and insure your move but wanted to know if anyone else had a similar situation and what they did?

I think they said insurers want to see that the high value goods are no more than 20% of the total value so it looks like we are a little teeny way off!

Help!!!!

We got a quote from Letton & Percival . Much cheaper than the removals firm.

I think its the 20% was for breakable items like glass and pottery. If your instruments have cases you should be ok, but you might have to list them seperately.

Guest sleepysunday

Thanks. I'll give them another ring tomorrow. We do have boxes for most things so should be ok if you are right. Fingers crossed as we can't afford any more expenses!

:-)

We'll be in the same situation - my darling husband has a rather large collection of guitars and 'very essential' equipment. A lot of it's hand built and would be very expensive to replace (he builds guitars as well so some of them are completely irreplacable)

Although we're probably selling his PA before we move because he's decided that he doesn't like it anymore and wants a new one......

Be interested to know who you go with insurance wise :)

Go figure!

Guest sleepysunday

I've spoken to Letton & Percival today and it's only the breakables such as glass and china they are most concerned about. As ghost said if you have cases for your instruments etc you will be fine.

We priced everything and it looked way too much for us to cover so we have gone back and just chosen the things we would seriously need to replace should anything happen to them. Make sure you check the Oz prices on the net first as things can be completely different in price.

It's taken me 3 days to do and I've just finished! Phew...another thing to tick off that dreaded list.

I've already done the replacement inventory thing it took forever!! I've generously offered to use some of my luggage allowance to carry one of his guitars, and he's taking another - that leaves 10 for the container (unless he makes any more by then that he can't bear to sell), but the amps and cabs have to go in the container cos they're too big and heavy to go airfreight without costing a small fortune!

A word of warning - remember that expensive items (valued at over AUD1000) will attract duty and GST when they get here, so if you're packing heaps of music gear, you may well get stung for a fair bit at this end.

(PS I play drums, so I'm sympathetic to your plight!)